DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.6-liter V6 engine - 305 horsepower, 265 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram SXT QC
Trim Level: sxt
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
1979 Palomino is on a distinguished road

I have friends who claim better fuel economy, more power, by using a higher octane fuel. Researching on the web, gasoline has 114,000 BTUs per U.S. gallon, 87-94 octane. Octane is a number assigned to a blend of fuel where it will not knock under compression. Knock or pinging is the fuel igniting under compression before being ignited by the sparkplug. So if your truck isn't knocking use the lowest octane number and save your money.
Sponsored links
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Even with a hemi and custom tuning, you won't gain much rwhp. From a custom econo 87 octane dyno tune to a custom 93 octane dyno tune, I only picked up 7 rwhp or so.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on what hydrex said
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Well I guess I will be the one to admit to using 94 octane with my performance tune with no problems. 7 rwhp is better than 0 on any given day. JMHO.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Running higher octane power to money ratio is only worth it if you have a tuner to tune the engine to use that extra Octane, the power to money ratio just is not worth it without a tuner. The ECU will compensate only so much without a tuner
Spot on and well said.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Lman is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but I"m dissapointed with all of your answers. The octane ratingof gasolene tells you how muchthe fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites.When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark plug, it causes knocking and pinging. Lower octane gas can handle the least amount of compression. The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you should use. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine is to increase the compression ratio. So a high performance engine, Has A Higher Compression Ratio and Requires Higher Octane Fuel. I run 93 octane in my Hemi, and I"ll run any 345 HP Hemi Dodge on 87 octane any day. the guy that traided the Toyota for the Dodge, you were right! You ran the high octane and saw benefits in that truck. THINK ABOUT IT
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:45
Chris65 is on a distinguished road

Oha...
Ok.
First-the higher octane is not necessary if the motor layout is for lower octane.
Technically it also don't hurt. NO, THERE IS NO DAMAGE BECAUSE OF HIGHER OCTANE.
the octane number indicates the willingness to ignite by it self.
Low octane ignites by it self at a lower temp or pressure than high octane.
Therefore there is the knock sensor which signal is used for adjusting the ignition point.
The point is always knock border = point, where the gas mix ignites by it self uncontrolled.
All the system does is, with higher octane to move the ignition point later and there is higher compression pressure when the fuel ignites. The pressure increase is higher and so the force wich pushes the piston down.
That's all.
If you have a low pressure engine, it will not make a difference.
Btw-in highspeed-and rpm counties you wiss see a difference, because the effect increases with higher rpm.
In us with 55 mph and 1500rpm you can even drive a 97 octane engine on 87 octane because you'll never reach the region where it would hurt. My old bmw 540i is the best example with 250000 miles and all with 87 octane.
If u have soot, then from short distance or bad fuel quality from the cheapest gas station.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Not sure what the V-6 Powertech should run on. But Ma Mopar tells us Hemi guys that are pumpin ponies right in the owners manual to run 89 OR Better( hint hint ). And yes the ECM retards or advances the timing. Would you rather the engine change the timing so it ignites the fuel before the fuel blows on low compression? or run higher octane fuel to build higher compression which builds more power? In the V-6 you may be designed for low octane, but the Hemi should have the good stuff. I pay 20 cents more a gallon for 93 octane. thats $2 more on $40 worth of fuel. Thats the price of a 12 oz beer. listen to your mother Hemi owners
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Whats a lower pressure engine Chris?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:45
Chris65 is on a distinguished road

Low pressure engines have a low compression, running smoother and having more torque than high compressed engines.
Low compression is also safer.
High compressed engines running normally with higher rpm at max torque, having therefore higher hp but compared lower torque.
For a normal 2-valve engine you can say that the max torque without turbo is ~80% of the liter size. A 4-valve engine can have up to 100%.
These engines normally need higher octane because the pressure is higher and so the engine needs higher octane because the gas mix can self ignite at this pressure. This explains why a hemi needs higher octane then the 4.7l.
I try to explain it as understandable as possible. If I go deeper, it will get complicated. It explains it as good as possible for now. I hope.