DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust


Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM
bpetroni bpetroni is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 50
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
bpetroni is on a distinguished road
Default Should I go with the Magnaflo

I know this is a never ending debate (Magnaflo or Flowmaster). I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with the Hemi 5.7 liter. I have read some member threads that mention the rice burner sound when the MDS kicks in on the Flowmaster product. Also, I have a Silverado with a Flowmaster kit on it nad it sounds cool but when I take it on road trips it drives me crazy with the rumble. My wife is gonna drive my new rig too and I need to find something that won't make her complain louder than my exhaust on road trips. I'm thinking about going with the Magnaflo 18" muffler?

1. Do you get the high pitch noise when the MDS kicks in with the Magnaflow?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Bully's Performance's Avatar
Bully's Performance Bully's Performance is offline
BULLYS PERFORMANCE


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: lathrop
Posts: 10,088
Gender: Male
Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default

I have a 14" magnaflow with a magnaflow y pipe and jba headers, i do not notice anything to bad when the mds kicks on. The magnaflows are very nice, your best bet is to go to youtube and listen to a couple of different set up, see which ones you like and then make your choice

Here is a list of the 3 magnaflows that are currently available for your stock setup and then also the link to the y pipe if interested.

I am going to copy and paste from another thread where I just posted this info yesterday hope none of the moderators mind

Magnaflow does make a very great product on our trucks, and as far as the 4th gen hemis go it is 2.5" in from headers/exhaust manifold to the Ypipe, and then 3" from the y pipe to the muffler, and then 2.5" duals from the mufflers to the tips.

check out the available magnaflow muffler we cary in stock here lowest prices around

Magnaflow 14" Muffler $134.61

Magnaflow 18" Muffler $155.99

Magnaflow 22" Muffler $124.01

These are shipped prices to the lower 48 states.

The only difference in size change is the sound it puts off, maybe very little performance, most of our customers go with the either the 14" it is the loudest of the 3 has a nice deep rich tone to it, and then 2nd most purchased is the 18" it is not quite as loud but still has a nice rumble to it, and then there is the 22" people who purchase this one have said it is louder than stock but still bearable if you will. I think the favorite among most is the 18" it is a nice happy median

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
__________________
With over 2.5 million products available, we have what you need! (including wheels and tires!)
For pricing or questions, email us @ sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Q23's Avatar
Q23 Q23 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Langley, VA
Age: 30
Posts: 73
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
Q23 is on a distinguished road
Default

Not trying to highjack your thread but im thinking Magnaflow or Solo. Solo has a group buy right now that ends at the end of the month. Vid sounds good but would like to hear it in person. Anyone have recommendations on Solo vs Mag?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM
RAM EM's Avatar
RAM EM RAM EM is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Age: 42
Posts: 938
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about
Default

OP, check out the video clip in my "18" Magnaflow installed" thread. Based on the needs your describing, I would strongly suggest the 18" Maggie! It is noticeably louder than OE, and has a 100% better tone. I think the 14" or FM might be too much for your situation. I know I wouldn't want mine any louder, and I used to rock FM's in my younger day!
__________________


-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
tyfighter16 tyfighter16 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Utah
Age: 21
Posts: 26
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
tyfighter16 is on a distinguished road
Default

I am looking to buy the 18 mag but I need to know will it directly replace the stock muffler r do I need to do a whole setup?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Bully's Performance's Avatar
Bully's Performance Bully's Performance is offline
BULLYS PERFORMANCE


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: lathrop
Posts: 10,088
Gender: Male
Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfighter16 View Post
I am looking to buy the 18 mag but I need to know will it directly replace the stock muffler r do I need to do a whole setup?
nope you do not need a whole new setup many will replace the ypipe while they are at it but not always alot of people just replace the muffler
__________________
With over 2.5 million products available, we have what you need! (including wheels and tires!)
For pricing or questions, email us @ sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 PM
HemiRhoid's Avatar
HemiRhoid HemiRhoid is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Slippery Rock, PA
Posts: 99
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4 RCSB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
HemiRhoid is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
I have a 14" magnaflow with a magnaflow y pipe and jba headers, i do not notice anything to bad when the mds kicks on. The magnaflows are very nice, your best bet is to go to youtube and listen to a couple of different set up, see which ones you like and then make your choice

Here is a list of the 3 magnaflows that are currently available for your stock setup and then also the link to the y pipe if interested.

I am going to copy and paste from another thread where I just posted this info yesterday hope none of the moderators mind

Magnaflow does make a very great product on our trucks, and as far as the 4th gen hemis go it is 2.5" in from headers/exhaust manifold to the Ypipe, and then 3" from the y pipe to the muffler, and then 2.5" duals from the mufflers to the tips.

check out the available magnaflow muffler we cary in stock here lowest prices around

Magnaflow 14" Muffler $134.61

Magnaflow 18" Muffler $155.99

Magnaflow 22" Muffler $124.01

These are shipped prices to the lower 48 states.

The only difference in size change is the sound it puts off, maybe very little performance, most of our customers go with the either the 14" it is the loudest of the 3 has a nice deep rich tone to it, and then 2nd most purchased is the 18" it is not quite as loud but still has a nice rumble to it, and then there is the 22" people who purchase this one have said it is louder than stock but still bearable if you will. I think the favorite among most is the 18" it is a nice happy median

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
I like the 18" but its shorter than the stock muffler on my 2012 Express. How much is the pipe to make up the difference? Also, do you have the 5" tips? Thanks
__________________
2012 Ram 1500 Express 4X4 RCSB
Extang Full Tilt Tonneau Cover; Herculiner Bed Liner; Husky Mud Flaps; Sylvania Silverstar zXe Headlight Bulbs; Westin Platinum Series Tube Steps; CIPA 36600 Rearview Mirror w/ map lights, compass, & auto-dim; Tow Hooks; AMI 6" Stubby Antenna and K&N Drop-In Air Filter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Bully's Performance's Avatar
Bully's Performance Bully's Performance is offline
BULLYS PERFORMANCE


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: lathrop
Posts: 10,088
Gender: Male
Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiRhoid View Post
I like the 18" but its shorter than the stock muffler on my 2012 Express. How much is the pipe to make up the difference? Also, do you have the 5" tips? Thanks
the Y pipe doesn't "make up the difference", what it does is replace the factory ypipe freeing up airflow a little bit and allow you to reroute the pipes if you want so that it isn't as restrictive. if you will whenever you buy an aftermarket muffler none of them are an exact replacement with the exception of maybe a mufflex which is the same as a maganflow it just has the extra pip welded on it already to fit. However i have found that around here you can get a muffler and Y pipe installed for less than $100, which would put you in the neighborhood of $275-$300 for both the y pipe and muffler installed. Just the mufflex muffler would run you right at that maybe even a little more depending on where you buy it from but it is a DIY, it uses clamps vs welds. If you just do the muffler you could have it done in the ball park of $200-$250, still less than the mufflex and you get welds vs clamps

And yes we do have 5" tips are you looking for chrome or black? and do you have a single exhaust or duals?

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
__________________
With over 2.5 million products available, we have what you need! (including wheels and tires!)
For pricing or questions, email us @ sales@bullysperformance.com

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 AM
bpetroni bpetroni is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 50
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
bpetroni is on a distinguished road
Default

Does the Y-pipe make that much of a performance difference, will regret not getting the pipe replaced if I just go with a Magnaflo muffler. I also have the 2012 Express and I like the way the tips look, do I need to replace them if I do the muffler?

Thanks for the advise


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
the Y pipe doesn't "make up the difference", what it does is replace the factory ypipe freeing up airflow a little bit and allow you to reroute the pipes if you want so that it isn't as restrictive. if you will whenever you buy an aftermarket muffler none of them are an exact replacement with the exception of maybe a mufflex which is the same as a maganflow it just has the extra pip welded on it already to fit. However i have found that around here you can get a muffler and Y pipe installed for less than $100, which would put you in the neighborhood of $275-$300 for both the y pipe and muffler installed. Just the mufflex muffler would run you right at that maybe even a little more depending on where you buy it from but it is a DIY, it uses clamps vs welds. If you just do the muffler you could have it done in the ball park of $200-$250, still less than the mufflex and you get welds vs clamps

And yes we do have 5" tips are you looking for chrome or black? and do you have a single exhaust or duals?

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 AM
bpetroni bpetroni is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Age: 41
Posts: 50
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
bpetroni is on a distinguished road
Default

I was thinking the 18" by what I have read so thanks for confirming. The FM's were cool when I wanted to piss my neighbors off but I too am suffering from the gettin older situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM EM View Post
OP, check out the video clip in my "18" Magnaflow installed" thread. Based on the needs your describing, I would strongly suggest the 18" Maggie! It is noticeably louder than OE, and has a 100% better tone. I think the 14" or FM might be too much for your situation. I know I wouldn't want mine any louder, and I used to rock FM's in my younger day!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum