DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BlueRam1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Better MPG!

Ok so here I go! I got the go ahead from my better half and really want to make the right decision here. I love my truck and smile everytime I get in it, however it is raking me over the coals everytime I gas up! I know it is a truck, but I want better MPG! I have read all the manufacture site for CAI's, cat-backs, and tuners but for every one that I read I find someone that says it's BS...I don't want to drop 1-2K on better MPG and not get it cause if that is wasted then I will put into jepordy any future mods! Really don't want to hear the "Well last time you said that..." speech. I am turning to you guys for help. I don't get crazy with it I just use it for a daily driver and haul the occasional load of firewood or lumber. What Brands/models have given you the best numbers? Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from you!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT-Big Horn
Color: Blue, Sexy Blue
Rep:66
seanbeckaroo will become famous soon enough

I would say, best money spent is tuner and use a MPG tune. Everything else is just for personal taste. Exhaust, CAI, mumbo jumbo. A tuner will give you the most bang for your buck IMO.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Color: Blue
Rep:10
BlueRam1500 is on a distinguished road

What Tuner works best with the 5.7 Hemi? I heard Diablosport was the best but not sure...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road

Diablo Sport and Superchips used to be the only two worth mentioning. Now it seems the two being talked about are Diablo Sport and Bully Dog. I will let someone with experience on the Bully Dog speak up for themselves, but the basic canned tunes are pretty much the same. The positive the DS has is it has the ability for custom tunes if you want to go down that road.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Best way to get better MPG?

Buy a cheap Civic for those quick trips when you don't really need the truck.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Red
Rep:59
dodgeram02 will become famous soon enough

I don't have one personally yet. But I hear the vararam air grabber does some pretty nice gains. And I'm sure with a tuner it would be better yet. I would have one but wife thought she needed to get prego and spend all the money on hospitals bills. Lol
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Here are the most popular items people purchase to improve there mileage/performance of there vehicles hope this info helps, and also if you are looking to purchase more than 1 item let me know what you are thinking about and i can get you a killer bundle price (sometimes saving between 10-20% more than our already low prices)

Additionally you can pm me and I can get you any discount codes for items you might be interested in, however during checkout you can only have 1 active code so for orders with more than 1 item with applicable discount codes we have to get you a bundle code good twoards that 1 purchase.

Cold Air Intakes(including the all might VARARAM)

Cold air intakes also can provide better fuel mileage

DiabloSport/Bully Dog/SuperChips programmers and tuners

Members use these to gain performance, also almost all tuners have a MPG setting that will optimize your vehicle for better Mileage

CAT-BACK PERFORMANCE EXHAUST SYSTEM BY MAGNAFLOW

You can free up your exhaust flow also to improve mileage, I have seen reports of 1-2 more MPG's with an aftermarket Exhaust

FoldUp and Roll up Bed Covers!

Bed covers will make your truck more aerodynamic and can add a couple additional miles per gallon depending on how you drive and diving conditions, better aerodynamics=better mileage

any 1 mod and you are probably not going to see alot of gains, however when you combine them you will see more power and better mileage, however sometimes you wont drive your truck the same (keep you foot in the pedal) and you will not notice any MPG gains because the driving habits, however if you have a light foot and do a couple of these simple bolt on upgrades you will with no doubt see some MPG gains.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:387
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

It takes a long time for these items to pay for themselves before you actually save money, think about it and do the math. Most of this stuff is installed because we just want them...The idea of better mpg's is the excuse we used to convince the wife or our selves.

The absolute best gas save is your right foot, it's the only method that will actually save you money without cost you some first!

PS: I have a bed cover on my current truck and I have had them on previous trucks and they DO NOT help mpg's in any way, thats BS! It does do a great job keeping things nice and dry!

2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats

Last edited by Butter; 01-19-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Amsoil. I havent used the mpg tune on the Diablo but I heard it is hot garbage. My tonneau cover did help a smidge with MPG. My KN 63 also helped a smidge with mpg. There is a lot of things you can combine to see a noticable difference in MPG. There isnt that one mod that can do it though.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 5.9 diesel
Trim Level: QUAD CAB SLT 4X4
Color: white
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:80
dwanton will become famous soon enough

what is bad MPG to you ? and what do you want to get ?

i drive 22 miles to and from work in traffic and am getting 17 MPG , for a truck , and switching from a 2010 chevy that i was getting 15 MPG , I am very happy.