DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
AlbertaRamTruckGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Black out stock rims

I want to black out the stock rims on my 2012 ram sport, anyone know what paint I should use? I've heard plasti dip is pretty good..... but I'm not sure if it's tough enough. Thought about using a DYI box liner kit.... Any ideas would be great!
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRamTruckGuy View Post
I want to black out the stock rims on my 2012 ram sport, anyone know what paint I should use? I've heard plasti dip is pretty good..... but I'm not sure if it's tough enough. Thought about using a DYI box liner kit.... Any ideas would be great!
I would personally have them powder coated, i don't know how much the shops where you are at charge for powder coat but my local shop here only charged me $380 to get all 4 wheel welded together with a 48"x24" 1/4" thick piece of aluminum welded on top of them and the whole thing powder coated, i would imagine i would be cheaper for you as you aren't getting any welding done and don't have an extra 48x24 piece of medal either

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

Plastidip is pretty good. I have it on the silver parts of my dash. I have seen guys that have plastidipped a whole car, used a pressure washer on it to clean it and it still looks good 3 months later. Its like $5 a can in the US, and if you dont like it you can just peel it off. I got some locally here in BC for $12 a can on Craigslist. Just giving you an option.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:20
gopackgo69 is on a distinguished road

I had my rims powder coated for $300, gloss black. They look great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (60.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0038.JPG (117.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopackgo69 View Post
I had my rims powder coated for $300, gloss black. They look great.
Those do look good looks very similar to my coffee table lol except yours still have rubber on them and are on you truck

Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:327
starquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the roughstarquestbd22 is a jewel in the rough

To the OP......I would second the recommendation of Plasti-dip primarily because it's cheap and if you don't like it or if it does get damaged you can simply peel it off. Powdercoating is obviously going to be stronger and much more permanent but I'm wondering...do you have the stock chrome-clad 20s? Can you powdercoat those without removing the plastic cladding first? My guess would be no which means removing the cladding and prepping the alloy underneath for a smooth finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
Those do look good looks very similar to my coffee table lol except yours still have rubber on them and are on you truck

Jeremiah
I was wondering why you had yours welded to a big sheet of metal. I guess that explains why, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
To the OP......I would second the recommendation of Plasti-dip primarily because it's cheap and if you don't like it or if it does get damaged you can simply peel it off. Powdercoating is obviously going to be stronger and much more permanent but I'm wondering...do you have the stock chrome-clad 20s? Can you powdercoat those without removing the plastic cladding first? My guess would be no which means removing the cladding and prepping the alloy underneath for a smooth finish.

I was wondering why you had yours welded to a big sheet of metal. I guess that explains why, lol.
lol ill get some pics of it and upload them sometime in the next few weeks when i get my new camera in the mail as my old one has broke

Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:33
Copperhead Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinkle1989 View Post
I would personally have them powder coated, i don't know how much the shops where you are at charge for powder coat but my local shop here only charged me $380 to get all 4 wheel welded together with a 48"x24" 1/4" thick piece of aluminum welded on top of them and the whole thing powder coated, i would imagine i would be cheaper for you as you aren't getting any welding done and don't have an extra 48x24 piece of medal either

Jeremiah
This I gotta see... can you post a photo for us?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead Ram View Post
This I gotta see... can you post a photo for us?
I will post up some pics as soon as my camera gets here also will be posting alot of pics of my truck over in my build thread i have fallen way behind with keeping everyone updated with pics, but the camera broke so i ordered a new one i only did ground shipping so hopefully it is here by the first of the year

Thanks