DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
Fickle is on a distinguished road
Default Do it yourself leveling kit?

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have installed a leveling kit on your truck. I've got an 07 Ram 4x4, quad cab, hemi. I've been thinking about putting a leveling kit on my truck, I'm guessing its pretty much the foundation for a lift further on down the road. I was just going to have a local offroad shop install it cause it will need an alignment as well. I was approached by a buddy of mine who wants to do the same to his Ford, he said he's got the space, tools, and figures we can knock both trucks out in a day. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, I just like to get as many details about whatever I'm going to attempt before I attempt it, don't really like surprises, especially on a weekend when no parts stores are open! Just wondering if its that simple to do, what I should be watching out for or what to expect when I'm doing it. Any tips or tricks? I've heard some guys get a death wobble, others have had issues with their 4wd due to the higher angle on the cv shafts. Is there one kit I should be looking for as opposed to another? Any input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Check out bilstein 5100s. They are an adjustable SHOCK as opposed to a spacer type level kit. At autoanything you can get them for $84 each with free shipping with the memeber discount (contact AJ@autoanything here on the board).

Mine should be here today and I'm going to attempt to install them myself. I heard with two pairs of hands and a few beers it is just a few hours work. You will have to rent a spring compressor from your local autoshop.

part # for our 2007: 24-186988

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A5660A0A0.aspx

I personally haven't seen any NEGATIVE reviews regarded changing the suspension angles and all. It seems everyone is very satisfied with this method of leveling. Most level to the 2.1" setting, or you can max at 2.8". Although very few have reported the death wobble at 2.8".
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

You can definately do it yourself. With a buddy it won't take anytime. I use the hobby shop on base and it takes just a few hours to adjust the bilstiens. I say take your friend up on that and knock it out!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport 4x4 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Phildo is on a distinguished road

Easier and cheaper to install a levelling spacer then bilstein struts since the spacer in a bolt in product and the bilsteins involve using a spring compressor to disassemble and reassemble old coils onto new struts
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I checked out the shocks you suggested and they seem pretty reasonable and comparable to what a leveling kit would cost. If I do Bilsteins in the front I'll likely swap out the rear for a set too. Are they very difficult to adjust? Are there settings already on the shocks? Wanna keep the right and left the same height, don't want any guess work. Will definitely look AJ up when I decide to go that way. Renting a spring compressor is no big deal, especially if we are doing two trucks, would be splitting the cost with my buddy anyways.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Thanks guys for the input. I checked out the shocks you suggested and they seem pretty reasonable and comparable to what a leveling kit would cost. If I do Bilsteins in the front I'll likely swap out the rear for a set too. Are they very difficult to adjust? Are there settings already on the shocks? Wanna keep the right and left the same height, don't want any guess work. Will definitely look AJ up when I decide to go that way. Renting a spring compressor is no big deal, especially if we are doing two trucks, would be splitting the cost with my buddy anyways.
First off..when you rent a spring compressor I'm pretty sure you get your money back after you return it...so its free.

Also I just got mine in the mail..the settings are pre marked..it's hard to explain. But no guessing involved! If you ever do decide to CHANGE the height after they've been installed you do have to remove them again. you cannot adjust them while installed.
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Its good to know the settings are at least marked to take the guess work out of it. I don't really know about the spring compressor rental though, maybe down there in the states its different, you've got a lot more of the parts stores down there than we have up here in Canada. Though I'm sure getting a hold of one shouldn't be a problem, maybe if I talk to my mechanic real nice he'll even let me borrow his for the weekend. Probably not going to get into it until after christmas as I just had to replace the right front hub bearing, rear brakes and I think I'll be doing a new set of tires here shortly too, got a belt thats shifted in the front left, don't like the OE tires anyways so its a good excuse to get out of them.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
Its good to know the settings are at least marked to take the guess work out of it. I don't really know about the spring compressor rental though, maybe down there in the states its different, you've got a lot more of the parts stores down there than we have up here in Canada. Though I'm sure getting a hold of one shouldn't be a problem, maybe if I talk to my mechanic real nice he'll even let me borrow his for the weekend. Probably not going to get into it until after christmas as I just had to replace the right front hub bearing, rear brakes and I think I'll be doing a new set of tires here shortly too, got a belt thats shifted in the front left, don't like the OE tires anyways so its a good excuse to get out of them.
Yeah get rid of those crappy factory tires. Sounds like a good excuse to me! Hopefully you won't have trouble finding the compressor. That sucks you can't rent them like down here. Good luck! I'll hopefully be diving into installing mine this weekend but who knows
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:99
Ram Nut will become famous soon enough

Fickle,

Check out PartSource for tool lending, assuming you have a 'participating location' nearby. I believe C-Tire still runs a similar program, as does NAPA Autoparts.

Quote:
What is the Loan-A-Tool Program?
The Loan-A-Tool program at PartSource enables you to use the proper tools to tackle some of the more difficult or specialized repairs on your vehicle without having to purchase the tools, or pay for a garage to do the repair for you. It's a great way to save money.

How Does the Program Work?
The Loan-A-Tool program is absolutely free to customers. If you need a Loan-A-Tool, just stop by your local PartSource store, pick out the tool you need from our extensive line up, fill out some paperwork, put a deposit down for the tool, and you're all set.
The deposit required is equivalent to the cost of the tool, and is refunded in full, upon return of the tool in good condition. All tools are checked before leaving the store, and again when returned. Customers are not charged for normal wear on tools.
Tools are generally loaned out for up to 3 days.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM

I know we can rent or borrow tools here in Canada, the only thing I wasn't sure of was whether or not they give you your money back after you return it or if there was a rental fee. Just had rear brakes, front right hub bearing done, and because I got rammy with my frozen tailgate a new tailgate handle so I won't be doing a leveling kit yet, probably once the weather gets nicer anyways. That and I'm gonna get a new set of tires, just not sure what brand, or how big yet. I know I can go bigger with the leveling kit, but unfortunately the tires need to come first cause these ones suck in the snow and the snow is coming, I think?