DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Power Wagon

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 ST powerwagon
Trim Level: ST powerwagon
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
a4x4high is on a distinguished road

I love my PW and I have only had it for almost two weeks as far as the diesel goes I would trade mine in in a heartbeat if they came out with one in a diesel platform. I agree with spaced on this one ,we have alot of technology these days to make just about anything work and apparently Dodge has some good engineers on staff, I mean they must have cause they built the Power Wagon .
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:11
K9ExDet is on a distinguished road

I like my Power Wagon for the same reason I liked my Rubicon the model comes equipped with the sway bar disconnect, lockers, and lower gear ratio. Like many of you its fun hitting the trails, hunting areas or exploring when that first snow falls, or maybe that first foot. Its you against the elements. Knowing you have a nice capable vehicle compared to the guy next to you in a 1977 bob cat pinto with a broom stick bumper is peace of mind and in a sence pride of ownership and maybe a little just a little bragging rights.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

the pw rocks!!! i'm pretty sure they never did diesel wagon is because of the weight. with all the goodies we have it would be heavier than a regular 2500 with the cummins. but i believe a diesel is coming soon in the pw. i just wish they would have put the lockers on a seperate system from the dumbar. a mod that i will soon be doing myself.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

I too really like the PW.....But in all honesty it was the wifes look that turned me towards the 1500....LOL Happy wife happy life.....LOL...Beautiful trucks though.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-12-2013, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: 2010 4.7l v8 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:160
Astartes has a spectacular aura aboutAstartes has a spectacular aura about

They'll probably put the 6.4 in it
Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his brothers. -John 15:13

My Mods
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

From what I have read, the reasoning behind the lack of diesel Power Wagon has at least 4 points:
1. the intercooler and winch want to occupy the same space
2. the diesel is considered (by the designers) to be too heavy to make for good offroad performance (regardless of what arguments can be made as to the pros and cons of diesels for offroad, on solely the issue of front to rear weight distribution this is undeniable)
3. the longevity of the current frontend parts (especially balljoints) under a diesel used offroad (to the high extent that they intend the Power Wagon to be used offroad) would likely be alarmingly short
4. The rearend used in the Power Wagon is the 10.5" AAM axle, same as a Hemi Ram, but with AAM 11.5" axle shafts (not so for the new 2014s as they will utilize the AAM 11.5") the ring and pinion is not viewed as being up to the task of handling the Cummins' output.

Power Wagon desirability? Part of it stems from rarity, they keep production numbers fairly low thus lending a bit of exclusivity to ownership (some dealers don't even know what a Power Wagon is!) but, rarity isn't everything- as I've heard said before- "It's rare that I poop my pants but, that doesn't make it desirable!" The real desirability comes from:
approximately 2" lift
more flexible springs for greater articulation
Power Wagon specific frame part number (specified in order to facilitate the mounting of a LOT more skidplates than a standard 2500)
4.56 gears and locking differentials front and rear (also, rear acts as a limited slip when not locked, and rear has AAM 11.5" axleshafts)
Electronic antiswaybar disconnect
12,000lb Warn winch (which, if you look at the power rating, gearing, and cable size actually appears to be a short drum, reverse rotation variant of a Warn 15,000lb winch)
Larger more aggressive standard tires (285/70R17 BFG all terrains as opposed to the smaller all season tires (245 section, IIRC) that come on a standard 2500)
Cool stickers (ST/Tradesman, SLT package PW's)
Cool letters (Laramie PW's)

Now as to why the 2012 in particular would be desirable over other years (I am only addressing 4th gen years)? I'll admit I am at a loss on that one! Although I have a 2012, I'd almost prefer a 2011 since they don't have traction control (it can be a bit intrusive at times) but, I guess if someone likes the idea of having traction control, that would make a 2012 better than a 2010 or a 2011.

Versus a 2013, it would be entirely subjective to state that the 2012 would have any advantage. Many like the 2013's new look better. I am actually one of the few that vastly prefers the 2012 over the 2013. I do not like the new interior, grille, headlights, or badges that were added for the 2013 model year BUT, that's just my opinion. DON'T get me wrong, a 2013 Power Wagon is still an awesome truck!!! I just have my (admittedly biased) preferences.

Versus a 2014, I would hands down take a 2012 or 2013. Yes, the 2014 gets the new 6.4L (the engine I think should have been in the Power Wagon ever since the 2010!!! (first year of the 4th gen which is longer and heavier than the 3rd gen PW)) I am VERY VERY VERY jealous of the 6.4L!!! But, the 2014 comes with two features that I feel are disadvantageous:
rear coil springs
front axle disconnect

Why would I say rear axle coil springs are disadvantageous? Don't they offer a nicer ride? Can't they be tweaked to offer tons of travel? Aren't coil springs the way of the future anyway? Well.... yes, they do offer a nicer stock ride BUT, they will get into BIG issues when we start to modify these trucks:
obviously suspension manufacturers will have to make new kits so, there's going to be a bit of a wait
once they do come out, the new lift kits are going to be big $$$$ to maintain proper geometry and add articulation and lift
extreme articulation is going to be difficult due to the small spring height possible when trying to keep the coils below the bed floor
long arms (to maintain proper geometry with longer travel) are going to be hard to package what with the fuel tank's location (imagine trying to stuff a triangulated four link under there!!!)

But, what about front axle disconnect? Doesn't it add approximately 1mpg by eliminating some of the drag produced by the entirety of the front axle parts rotating constantly the way they currently do? Yes, it does add about 1mpg but, at what cost? Anybody remember the front axle weakness brought on by central axle disconnect in the Jeep Dana 30s, and even in Dodge Dana 60s of years ago? Another maker's example- anybody remember having a 4wd failure due to GM's famous "donkey dick" (pardon the vernacular but, that is the less than affectionate nickname for the part) vacuum actuator for the front axle in four wheel drive? Over the years, axle disconnect devices have repeatedly proven themselves as less than desirable. It's too bad that we now have to have these because of a combination of two things:
C.A.F.E. standards (good thing in many ways, bad in many ways too) and the fact that we are too coddled in our cushy trucks to get out and lock the hubs! (I wish manual hubs were going to be an option instead of the disconnect, I would definitely check that box!)

To me, the 6.4L is a HUGE advantage to the 2014 BUT, the rear suspension and the front axle disconnect are too much of a disadvantage to overlook. (to enough of an extent that I was contemplating trading my 2012 in on a 2014 (to get the 6.4L!) but decided not to partially because of the rear suspension but, mostly because of the front axle disconnect) Thus, the 2010-2013s are the most desirable 4th gen! But, that's just my opinion!

BUT, to me the MOST desirable Power Wagon is a 3rd gen, regular cab, six speed manual!!! (good luck finding one!)

Last edited by Trail Whale; 08-12-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Rep:36
stubie82 is on a distinguished road

Trail Whale great input. I like everything you said. I actually like the interior of the 13s, just not as much of the badging. I have had no issues with any of my smart bar stuff (knock on wood). My only issue was corrosion in the winch plug on the frame. I would love to have the 6.4... yes indeed.
Anywho, I've already commented so just letting you know I liked your input.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon ST
Rep:87
Trail Whale will become famous soon enough

stubie82- Thanks for the kind words!

I've yet to have any electrical issues (I'll second the knock on wood, lol!) but, I have had some minor suspension issues that could have turned major- bent front tracbar bolt, and then something being very loose up front, popping when I turned and went over bumps (the dealer never could figure out what so, they ended up loosening EVERYTHING on the frontend, jouncing the suspension, and re-torquing everything back to spec and it went away), my truck spent several days in the shop within the first 1500 miles! Those are behind me now though! (hopefully!)

Question- what were you able to do about corrosion in the winch plug? Were you able to clean it, or did you have to replace it? (those little connectors are tiny, seem difficult to clean!)

Yeah, I definitely wish we had the 6.4L in our trucks!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Did somebody say "manual hubs"

I agree with just about everything trail whale said, except for the lazyness of hubs. Manufacturers switched because of cost and maintenance, pure and simple. Unit bearings are cheap, easy to install durring manufactur, require no maintenance and are actually pretty strong (enough for the majority of owners). Hubs have more parts, take longer to assemble, and require periodic maintenance. That said I love my manual hubs!

Funny thing is they have been so popular with people I know I am getting ready to install two more sets. One set on my dads '05 3500 and one set on my Dealer Techs '08 2500. Looks like I am getting popular!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Rep:36
stubie82 is on a distinguished road

I just used a small piece of wire to get it to work. I need to go in and get a new plug, I've just been lazy. I was in some pretty nasty stuff last time out and got some mud and gunk in it... forgot to clean it out, so my own fault.
I'm due for an oil change so I'm gonna ask them if how much the part is (assuming they can find the part, haha)