DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 98 1500 5.9L QuadCab Sport RWD
Rep:10
MDReptile is on a distinguished road
Default leaking power steering from the "steering box"

My ram 1500 quad cab 5.9l just decided to start leaking power steering fluid, and after getting under and getting some pictures, it seems to be that the bottom of the linkage between the steering, and this box (pictured below) is where the leak is. I read somewhere that maybe its a hose, but I'm not an expert by any means, can somebody verify that these pictures show a possible power steering leak location? If its not a hose, how hard is this particular "box" to replace myself? Have a look at these pictures:

http://imageshack.us/a/img641/6204/2...8160157343.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/7923/20121117144325618.jpg

The leak is getting the bottom of that bolt you see in the first image all covered in fluid. The second image shows the top of this "box" as I'm calling it. Any advice?

Edit: went down to a local auto store, showed the pictures and talked to them about it, they say its the steering box itself, where on the bottom there is a seal that must be leaking, which is common for these trucks. Anybody replaced the steering box before? How hard is it for a novice to do it in their backyard? Its two hundred dollars for the new parts.... So any advice is strongly appreciated before i get in over my head and deeper than my wallet lol.

Last edited by MDReptile; 11-19-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: more information
Sponsored links
Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laraime
Color: White
Engine: 1993-1993 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp 325lb/ft
Rep:28
Metallifan is on a distinguished road

Very common for these trucks.

You can either swap out the gearbox itself which is pretty easy to do, but costs over $100 for a new one or do what I did and try some Lucas Power Steering fluid additive. Costs $20 at AutoZone. I put 50/50 regular power steering fluid and Lucas. Fixed my leak in 2 days. No more drips, puddles, or runs. It's also guaranteed to stop leaks or your money back. Says it right on the bottle. So, if it doesn't work for you, just take it back. And, no, I don't work for Lucas. Just worked for me and it's a lot cheaper and easier than replacing the steering gearbox.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 98 1500 5.9L QuadCab Sport RWD
Rep:10
MDReptile is on a distinguished road

Sounds like my kind of idea, the cheap kind. I will go try that now, I'll return to share what happens

If all else fails I will go for the new one, but in doing this stop leak stuff, is there any risk the stuff could get grime or junk in some other components and damage them? I would hate to have more stuff to fix later!