DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Well, if it's what we've been seeing for a while on the LXs with the 5.7L, then it's the eagle engines with a few older ones thrown in for good measure. The timing chain tensioner spring fails causing the timing chain to hit the slider which will basically break the slider into several pieces and sometimes crack the thrust plate. It has happened on a few stock vehicles, but typically it's seen with mildly modified engines. The basic fix is to swap in a 6.1L thrust plate and there will be no issues. You can tell the difference between the 6.1L thrust plate because it's black and the 5.7L one is silver/grey. Just the fix that the LX guys have been doing for the past few years.

Thanks, CdnoilRAM. That sounds like a fairly comprehensive report on what Ram Tech might be referring to. And thanks for that pic.
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram/92 IROC R/T
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:67
02 Ram will become famous soon enough

interested as well. i was just lookin at a couple 2012's at the dealer today

Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Thanks, CdnoilRAM. That sounds like a fairly comprehensive report on what Ram Tech might be referring to. And thanks for that pic.
That looks particularly nasty, is this how our RAM Hemi's are configured as well ? Haven't heard of this failure on the 4th gen Rams, should we be concerned about this.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
That looks particularly nasty, is this how our RAM Hemi's are configured as well ? Haven't heard of this failure on the 4th gen Rams, should we be concerned about this.
Eagle engines are what powers the 4th gen hemi Rams, so...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram/92 IROC R/T
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:67
02 Ram will become famous soon enough

not what i was wanting to hear. been thinkin about gettin a 2013 when the 8 speed tranny comes out

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that this isn't a common failure, and that picture is a worst case scenario. Most times we've must found that the slider spring has failed but no damage has been done, but we only know when this happens when the timing cover is pulled.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

So will this start happening more and more as the 4th gen RAMs age ??? If this is an issue I would rather take care of it now while everything is running smoothly. Any good aftermarket parts available, like beefed up tensioner and timing chain ??? I really hate hearing about stuff like this, first the pinion nut and now this
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 biig horn
Trim Level: big horn
Color: red
Rep:10
disturbedgator is on a distinguished road

thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

I've heard of this rumor also, an instructor at the chrysler training center mentioned that 1 or 2 5.7l challengers in the area had some major timing chain failure and destroyed the engines, that was about 6 months ago. I haven't seen anything at the dealer yet.

About a year ago I replaced a timing chain tensioner on a 2009 hemi ram because of a rattling noise, don't know if its related.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 3500 SLT Diesel Dually
Trim Level: 3500 SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:185
drp6982 has a spectacular aura aboutdrp6982 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
As most of you already know, I am a Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep tech at a dealership. Occassionally, we talk to Chrysler technical support and hear a few rumors about upcoming recalls, bullitens, and things that just happen.

The other day a coworker was speaking to a tech rep and it seems that some of the newer Hemi engines have a problem with the timing chain guide/tensioner assembly and it's causing the chain to fail in some fashion and evidently it's causing catastrophic engine failure (valves and pistons coming together at high speed).

Now, when asked what "newer" meant, the rep says it is unclear at what point these guide assemblies were installed but he did say that the part is a redesign that was intended to save money. Looks like that's going to backfire.

As of this point, it is also unclear what will be done to identify affected vehicles and what will be done to remedy the problem. I don't know if this is a problem limited to the 5.7 engines or if the 6.4 is also included. I will keep an eye out for more info on this matter and post anything I find. Keep in mind that though the source is a Chryslelr tech rep, it's still just a rumor at this point and I have yet to see this failure for myself.

Hi, Im more active on the Charger and Challenger Z, it seems like this has been an issue we have been seeing on 5.7L only and from around 2010 models on up. I have seen this for the past year on the Challenger site. Seems like alot are switching over to the 6.1L timing set FYI
2011 Ram 3500 SLT Big Horn Dually
Closed Thread