DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:68
Detroit3000 will become famous soon enough
Default bike rack....

Looking for and advice on a bike rack. Looking for one that mounts above the bed and holds 3 bikes. Anyone using one or have in the past? We mountain bike regularly in the spring/summer/fall and the idea if tossing 1k+ bikes in the bed to bang against each other doesn't sound appealing to me lol. I also pull a camper so the hitch mount bike rack is out of the question and so is making something to hold the bikes upright in the bed because when the camper is hooked up I need to bed space. This on top of the bed system seems like it will fit my needs. I just don't know which one is the best bang for the buck..

Here's an example of what I'm looking for
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1713
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

That is a great rack. Probably the first time I have said that without getting a nasty glare from the wife I ride a road bike and just built one to fit in the box of the truck but with you needing the space of the box that looks like a winner. I haven't really researched buying one as like I said I built mine for a total of about $40
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

I put something together with stuff I had in the garage. a 2x6, couple of old oil filter wrenches, small clevis shackles, Yakima cross bar and fork mount rails. I run a cable lock through the mounting loops in the bed and the bike frames and I am good to go.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

The setup in the picture is mopar. Just checked into the actual cost. $315 for the utility rails in the bed, $260 for the sport rails that go across the bed and $160 for EACH bike mount. Way more than I'm willing to spend. Going to try some of the bike forums, I seen a few system's that go on top of the bed rails but now I really like this set up...may have to hit the bike shop and just buy some thule rails and make something myself....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I just throw mine in the bed, but I don't have a $1k bike either. Could you not lay it in the bed, maybe with some foam for protection, and tie it down so it won't move?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

If any any experience working with welding/metal, you could do and design something that fits into each stack pocket with rails going across the a few rails connecting them that the bike could sit on or even have the tires slide in between for support. or weld the thule bike rack to the cross rails?
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 12-05-2013, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

post up what come up with.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:98
MangoTangoMofo will become famous soon enough

I worked in bike shops for years ans sold rack systems by both Yakima and Thule and for the record Yakima is a much better product and is compatible with every other rack system on the market... Thule has a "better" name but all of their accessories are Thule Exclusive due to their square bars and since they went mass produced a couple years ago (you can find them in Canadian tire now) there quality has dropped off significantly! I will not not trust 20+ thousand dollars worth of bike to a Thule system anymore, but that is only my opinion after 6+ years of selling both systems.

ANY WAY If you are willing to drill a few holes in your bed you can easily get a Yakima BlockHead and mount it to the side of your box or in the bottom of your bed, this is my old set up when I still had my tool box where I mounted my BlockHeads to the side of the box. The reason I mention this is because all above bed racks are EXPENSIVE! That's because you have to buy the above bed system (4 bases plus crossbars depending on system) and they you have to buy 3 bike trays and if you want everything secure you will also have to buy 7 locking cores.

Now that I have a canopy (thanks to the dog) I will be doing something very similar to what SFVDOC posted. I will be mounting a 2x6 the same way but will be using my BlockHeads, they just simply screw into the wood and you’re done. They cost $25 bucks a piece from your local bike shop. Check out the link I posted, it goes directly to the product I’m talking about…. And if your shop tries to tell you to buy the cheap one from Lambert DON’T! They rust and I know this from experience. You can also check out the BeddyJo, its pretty cool and new to the market but for 139 it could be worth a try.

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/truck-bed/blockhead

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/truck-bed/beddyjo

5x11x22 Magnaflow with a resonator delete // Rough Country 2.5F&1.75R level kit // 17 XD Cranks // 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's // Air Lift 1000 // Armor Thane bed liner // Century Ultra Sport Canopy // Yakima Roof Rack // Mopar side steps // Custom Browning Mudflaps

Last edited by MangoTangoMofo; 12-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the advise/photos everyone. An over the bed system is really the only thing that will work for my situation. I did a lot of research last night and came up with yakima 60" track bars mounted to the bed, landing pads,control towers crossbars and bike trays. Price wasn't bad since a lot of the stuff I was able to find on Craigslist, only problem..... I can't bring myself to drill holes in my bed rails to mount the tracks. So that whole system ended up being out of the question. I didn't want to have to make something myself, but at least I can. I am a machinist by trade

Here's what I'm thinking, a clamp system simaliar to this one I found a photo of. I'm going to make something like this only a little more heavy duty and a little cosmeticly nicer. Aluminum clamps, black anodized and I plan on making them accept a 1 1/8 dia round bar (black anodized also) and the just buy 3 yakima bike trays to mount to the crossbars. This way the entire system can be taken off when needed and the only cost I will have into it is the trays. I hoping to get the clamps made up over Xmas when my work shuts down for the holiday and I have a few days to myself. I will post up so pics when done.

If anyone more experienced with roof rack systems foresee a problem with my idea please chime in. As always thanks for any and all help/suggestions

Last edited by Detroit3000; 12-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:98
MangoTangoMofo will become famous soon enough

That is stellar! You will definitely have a system that will solve a lot of peoples problems since a lot of people also don't want to drill into their box, I'm looking forward to see how this turns out... I would also consider a royalty deal with one of the rack manufacture's because this would definitely sell.

F.Y.I if you will be buying the trays new may I suggest the Forklift. I have 4 that have been on 3 different vehicles over the course of 5 years now. They are still working flawlessly and are the most adjustable of the bunch, my wife and I both have a road bikes, DH bikes and a 29er cross country bikes and the ForkLift fits them all with no issues. I also switch my bike trays between my Ram (on the yakima rack in my signature pick above my canopy) and on my wife's Subaru that came with a Thule roof rack with square bars when we bought it... Just my suggestion since I have had excellent luck with them.

Here's a link for you: http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/roof/forklift

5x11x22 Magnaflow with a resonator delete // Rough Country 2.5F&1.75R level kit // 17 XD Cranks // 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's // Air Lift 1000 // Armor Thane bed liner // Century Ultra Sport Canopy // Yakima Roof Rack // Mopar side steps // Custom Browning Mudflaps