DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Exclamation Disturbing Hemi Catastrophic Failure Rumor

As most of you already know, I am a Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep tech at a dealership. Occassionally, we talk to Chrysler technical support and hear a few rumors about upcoming recalls, bullitens, and things that just happen.

The other day a coworker was speaking to a tech rep and it seems that some of the newer Hemi engines have a problem with the timing chain guide/tensioner assembly and it's causing the chain to fail in some fashion and evidently it's causing catastrophic engine failure (valves and pistons coming together at high speed).

Now, when asked what "newer" meant, the rep says it is unclear at what point these guide assemblies were installed but he did say that the part is a redesign that was intended to save money. Looks like that's going to backfire.

As of this point, it is also unclear what will be done to identify affected vehicles and what will be done to remedy the problem. I don't know if this is a problem limited to the 5.7 engines or if the 6.4 is also included. I will keep an eye out for more info on this matter and post anything I find. Keep in mind that though the source is a Chryslelr tech rep, it's still just a rumor at this point and I have yet to see this failure for myself.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM Sport CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:623
bighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to allbighemi04 is a name known to all

Thanks for the heads up. I hope this isn't true for their sake.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

Well I'm glad I have completely voided my warranty yet lol
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: '11 1500 sport 4x4
Trim Level: sport 4x4
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
hoyter is on a distinguished road

Could this be related to the issues with the challengers?

Code:
http://goo.gl/PVVNY
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Man RamTech, you really know how to start some worrying with this one. But my honest feelings about this rumor is this..........Was it really the fault of the tensioner or was it the fault of the operator's maintenance habits. Low to no oil pressure to the cam chain tensioner sounds more like the path to this failure. Because I really think we'd have a whole batch of locked up, tooth skippin', Hemi's by now. Especially with the one's nearing 100K bud. Seriously though, you think if our 345's fail, we can opt for the 392 installed instead?

Last edited by Gantman; 11-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

As I understand it, this isn't an isolated incident and it's happening on "newer" engines. I would assume by newer, they are referring to the Eagle engine and possibly a production run from the last year or two. The Hemi tensioner isn't hydraulic, but rather a spring against a guide shoe.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Soooooo...what year owners should be worried here?

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM

No idea. They only said newer Hemi's but haven't been able to narrow it down yet.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Well, thanks for the heads-up, I am glad you are around. I will take a peek at mine and see how she's doin next oil change. With only 30k I can't imagine I need to be worried yet.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to updates!
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Closed Thread