DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Jet Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Ximer10 is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 stereo upgrade

Hey guys i have a 2012 ram sport with the basic radio in it. It has bluetooth and uconnect but i was looking to swap to the my gig model. I would like navigation built in with a hard drive. Just wondering if anyones done this yet and if so do i need to change some wiring out? how hard is it to swap out? is there anywhere online who sells these, pretty sure the dealership will ask some ridiculous price. Also i want my steering controls to work thats why i would like a dodge stereo.

thanx for all the help

max
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

You don't need a factory radio to have all the functions you are after. There is adapters to keep your steering wheel controls.
www.crutchfield.com
Browse their site and give them a call. They can hook you up with something much better and prob. cheaper than a Dodge head unit. I suggest a Pioneer or Sony head unit. They have always been super reliable and sound better than the rest of the market. Their customer support is top notch. Ex: You recieved a faulty head unit. You call and tell them and that day they send you a new one. When you recieve the new one, then you mail them the bad one. Plus they include all the hardware and wiring you need for free on almost all their head units.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Take a hunt online for a 2011 - 2012 RHB radio. It's the factory NAV radio and will be a direct PnP install with no modifications. If you change out to the Harman radio (730) you'll need to get a harness for the mirror mic to work, remove or unplug the current Uconnect module and then have the vehicle reflashed to remove the base radio and add the 730N. Some will say that you don't have to have the vehicle reflashed but this will make sure that the CAN BUS network sees all the correect vehicle modules online and not throw any DTC's.
Sure you can get an aftermarket radio also, but the aftermarket radio will need some adaptors and possibly a dash kit depending on the radio. Not to mention that the aftermarket radio will work in other vehicles, making it inviting to break into your truck to steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximer10 View Post
Hey guys i have a 2012 ram sport with the basic radio in it. It has bluetooth and uconnect but i was looking to swap to the my gig model. I would like navigation built in with a hard drive. Just wondering if anyones done this yet and if so do i need to change some wiring out? how hard is it to swap out? is there anywhere online who sells these, pretty sure the dealership will ask some ridiculous price. Also i want my steering controls to work thats why i would like a dodge stereo.

thanx for all the help

max
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 4X2 1500 QUAD CAB
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:57
davem2421 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Take a hunt online for a 2011 - 2012 RHB radio. It's the factory NAV radio and will be a direct PnP install with no modifications. If you change out to the Harman radio (730) you'll need to get a harness for the mirror mic to work, remove or unplug the current Uconnect module and then have the vehicle reflashed to remove the base radio and add the 730N. Some will say that you don't have to have the vehicle reflashed but this will make sure that the CAN BUS network sees all the correect vehicle modules online and not throw any DTC's.
I'm looking for that RHB radio as well but when I search for "2011 - 2012 RHB radio" its mostly turning up results of people who have already done it.

any suggestions where I can purchase one? I'd love to add one to my truck.

Thank you
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

they come up on eBay & craigslist, once in a while, but it is buyer beware, they may have a older Low Speed Bus & you need the HIGH Speed

you can check out OEMAUTOPARTSCO,
they have a website & they deal in mygig radios
they also have most of the answers to any questions
shipping should not cost much, you live in Florida, their store is in Florida
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

I had a member from another forum mention the link below. I haven't dealt with them directly though. He said that he had a good experiance with them.

http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...0dc5&seq_num=8
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express Package
Color: Mineral Gray Matalic
Rep:320
JimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the roughJimsRamTruck2012 is a jewel in the rough

This is why I love forums. Tons of great information from all the members. I was thinking about this myself and now I have some information about it.

Thanks Ximer10 for creating this thread and asking your question. It will help me out as well.