DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
xspazmonkeyx is on a distinguished road
Default Uconnect Voice Command Question

Okay, so when I have an iPod or thumb drive plugged into the remote USB port on my truck, I am able to give my 430 (RBZ, non-nav) voice commands, such as "Play artist Metallica" or "Play track Stairway to Heaven". However, if I copy my music collection directly on to the hard drive, I don't have that functionality. It's odd because all of the music information is there from the ID3 tag such as Artist, album, title, etc. Does anybody know of a way around this? Is there a recent update that could give me this functionality? Or is my radio broken? I find it weird that you can do it off of a remote device, but not when the song is stored locally on the hard drive. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '11 1500 sport 4x4
Trim Level: sport 4x4
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
hoyter is on a distinguished road

I have the 430n and cannot do voice command from the HDD. Just the ipod and radio for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm not sure if I'm breaking any forum rules, but I will say that I'm a sales manager at a Chrysler dealership. I guess I'm okay as long as I don't solicit any business or anything... While at work today I tried out another 430, a 430N, and a 730N. All radios had the same result. That just baffles the crap out of me. If you can do it off an iPod or flash drive, you sure as hell should be able to do it off the HDD. Why the functionality isn't there is just beyond me. I absolutely love the cars I sell, but c'mon Chrysler!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forums, xspazmonkeyx. You are welcome here, in fact, we like having someone with access to vehicle info like yourself.

Darin
Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

What I can say is only about the Mitsubishi radios (430, 430N). This is because the Uconnect and the radio is 2 different modules. The VR commands can only control what is stored in the memory of the module and send CAN messages to tell the radio the same messages that the steering wheel controls would send. The radio doesn't send the HD data to the Uconnect. So voice commands won't work except for next & previous tracks.
The iPod does send Data to the Uconnect for all of the needed information to store and support voice commands.. Now there is limitations to how large the iPod library can be in order for Uconnect to support vr commands. This is about (+) or (-) 10,000 songs (20,000 characters). Characters are based on the album title & song name length. The length of the artist / band name and more. More than the 20,000 characters and you'll be told that the music library is too large for voice commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspazmonkeyx View Post
I'm not sure if I'm breaking any forum rules, but I will say that I'm a sales manager at a Chrysler dealership. I guess I'm okay as long as I don't solicit any business or anything... While at work today I tried out another 430, a 430N, and a 730N. All radios had the same result. That just baffles the crap out of me. If you can do it off an iPod or flash drive, you sure as hell should be able to do it off the HDD. Why the functionality isn't there is just beyond me. I absolutely love the cars I sell, but c'mon Chrysler!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn/ QC
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn QC
Color: white
Rep:10
C Jones is on a distinguished road

Spazmonkey: With yoru knowledge perhaps you can tell me why the U connect will give me the message "Phone call compleded" as soon as I dial the number and it rings and is picked up. It has done this several times in a row and sort of annoyed the person receiving the call to the point they blocked my number. I had to call them from another phone to tell them what happened. Is this problem with the U connect or the Verizon service?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It's probably not a problem with Verizon. My phone (Samsung Epic 4G touch on Sprint) does it every now and then as well. I think it has something to do with the bluetooth connectivity. My phone is an Android, and although it works pretty well most of the time, it does have some issues. If it constantly does it, reset your phone, try re-pairing it, or check to see if there is a firmware update either for your phone or your radio. Bluetooth technology is advancing exponentially, and it's difficult for manufacturers to keep up.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

xsdbs - unfortunately, that makes sense. I don't know what evil is lesser, waiting for the USB drive to load when I start my car, or not being able to have voice commands. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately we have XSDBS to answer most questions about our radios, Uconnect, & the way most cell phones work in conjunction with each other
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Uconnect is just a bridge between the radio and your phone. There is a lot that actually goes on in the air, what I mean it there's a lot of question, answers and messages that is going on between the devices and this is a constant thing. Though I say it's just the bridge, it's a powerful bridge that is constantly at work. In order for Uconnect to perform a task, you press either the Uconnect or VR button, give it a task, then it sends that task to the device. The device needs to respond back to Uconnect in a supported time frame "OK" to let Uconnect know that the task is being performed, if Uconnect doesn't get the response, then it has to assume that the task is not being performed and give the customer a message to let them know.
There is a whole lot more technical side to this but I'm just trying to explain it how I see it as I am not an engineer but I'm trying to learn more also.
Now in this case of the "call completed" message, but still goes thru to the receiver of the call. The phone may be slow to respond to Uconnect that it's making the call, so Uconnect replies to the customer that the call has completed. I have seen a similar issue with ATT, I helped a person that would call his wife everyday when he left work, he would get the "call completed", the radio would come on and start to play, a few seconds later, the call that he started to make would start ringing thru and his wife would answer. What we were able to figure out was that He would place the call pretty much in the same spot when the issue occurred. We were able to pinpoint the exact spot within a couple feet. What was happening was that he was hitting a cell toward handoff. The signal was low as he was making the call and then went high as the tower switched.
Now I'm not saying that this is the issue that is going on with you situation, but I am saying that if it's an occasional thing, then it very well may be network related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspazmonkeyx View Post
It's probably not a problem with Verizon. My phone (Samsung Epic 4G touch on Sprint) does it every now and then as well. I think it has something to do with the bluetooth connectivity. My phone is an Android, and although it works pretty well most of the time, it does have some issues. If it constantly does it, reset your phone, try re-pairing it, or check to see if there is a firmware update either for your phone or your radio. Bluetooth technology is advancing exponentially, and it's difficult for manufacturers to keep up.