DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough
Default Check out my Ram Air Mopar CAI

I finally got off my ass and decide to mod my Mopar CAI......

Here's a pic of what I used.....its a flexible drainage tube from Lowes found in the garden center.

The inlet is about 4 1/2" x 3 1/4" and overall diameter of the flexible tube is 4"

I took off the Mopar CAI box and cut a hole for the tube using an angle grinder and smoothed it out with a dremel

I took my dremel and cut the plastic behind my lower grille....I tried taking the grille off but the shitty nuts and bolts were rusted so that was a no go after stripping the first one. Trying to cut the plastic from the backside was a PITA but turned out pretty good.

Re-installed the Mopar CAI with the intake tube

I used gorilla glue/double sided 3m tape to secure the inlet and used tie wraps to secure the tube all the way to the cai box. I started at 530pm and took a little over 2 1/2hrs would have been much easier if I didn't have to dismantle the entire cai.

Here's a pic of what it looks like from the inlet after taking a test drive down the HWY....Looks like it stayed pretty well flush and no gaps. Before anyone says it I know I still have to clean up the glue residue, just got to damn late....I'm gonna break out the trusty ole plasidip to redo the lower grille as well

My initial butt dyno tells me hit pulls slightly harder but I bet if I unplug the battery and let it relearn I will get even better results.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
kellyfj10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
I finally got off my ass and decide to mod my Mopar CAI......

Here's a pic of what I used.....its a flexible drainage tube from Lowes found in the garden center.

The inlet is about 4 1/2" x 3 1/4" and overall diameter of the flexible tube is 4"

I took off the Mopar CAI box and cut a hole for the tube using an angle grinder and smoothed it out with a dremel

I took my dremel and cut the plastic behind my lower grille....I tried taking the grille off but the shitty nuts and bolts were rusted so that was a no go after stripping the first one. Trying to cut the plastic from the backside was a PITA but turned out pretty good.

Re-installed the Mopar CAI with the intake tube

I used gorilla glue/double sided 3m tape to secure the inlet and used tie wraps to secure the tube all the way to the cai box. I started at 530pm and took a little over 2 1/2hrs would have been much easier if I didn't have to dismantle the entire cai.

Here's a pic of what it looks like from the inlet after taking a test drive down the HWY....Looks like it stayed pretty well flush and no gaps. Before anyone says it I know I still have to clean up the glue residue, just got to damn late....I'm gonna break out the trusty ole plasidip to redo the lower grille as well

My initial butt dyno tells me hit pulls slightly harder but I bet if I unplug the battery and let it relearn I will get even better results.

Nice post with the pictures and the how to.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:49 PM

TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Mopar CAI Ram Air Test Video

I was cleaning my engine bay this morning and I decided to do a ram air test to see how efficient the new mod is....I would say it gets pretty good airflow (blower was on the lowest setting)

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:10
kellyfj10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
Mopar CAI Ram Air Test Video

I was cleaning my engine bay this morning and I decided to do a ram air test to see how efficient the new mod is....I would say it gets pretty good airflow (blower was on the lowest setting)

That should help the engine breathe a little...awesome job!!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

you are kidding correct ???
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 AM

Update.......

It was raining here in the Houston area and I'll tell you after driving 20-25mins to work going against the wind my filter/airbox was dry. I'm not saying you won't get any water in it but if it does flood I'll definitly disconnect the tube at the box itself or stuff it with some rags (takes less than a min). Also I plan on buying a square filter and cutting it to fit the outlet for extra insurance.

Back to the drive..... I disconnected the battery for 30 mins before taking off to work so it can learn and adapt to the new air flow. I averaged 20.9mpg and I haven't had that since I put my 22" KMC slides on (13lbs heavier per corner compared to stock). So I'd imagine with a tailwind or no wind at all it would have been even better. I'll report back with the more driving I do with it on. Also I was supposed to get my JBA shorty headers installed yesterday but the guy doing it (Flaco) had other vehicles on the rack from Saturday that needed to get done. So Friday first thing in the morning I'll finally have them on which I would imagine only would increase my mpg and on sat/sun I'll have my 2/4 drop on.
Really my only mod left to do is the V-6 fan but kind of hesitant do to because of I can't tune it for setpoints. Come on Diablo so I don't get bored with this baby!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I like your air flow test!!!!!! Some people might think it's a little redneck, but it looks pretty scientific to me(but i'm from Texas too)--LOL
Jay
Old 05-11-2012, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

I did a similar mod to my stock air box i too can feel the difference. sounds like the truck is coming along very nicely.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

Flaco is tha man..your in good hands!!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Rep:41
RedRiverRam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this. I've got the Mopar CAI too but I changed out the tube for one from LegMaker. I've seen the thread where guys do this mod to the standard air box and wondered if it would work on the CAI airbox. Now I know. Another mod added to the to do list!