DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dgreen3855 is on a distinguished road

I hope this is what you are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tag beside glove box.jpg (35.1 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

yep, that's it. Well there's 2 things that you can do here:
1) if you are happy with the features that you have, leave it alone.
2) If you want more enhanced features such as Streaming audio, quicker reading time for iPods / iPhones, "call" and "dial" separation for better reading of names from the phonebook and the ability to play media files from other USB devices.
Then you could replace your module with a newer version and add an iPod / USB cable to your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen3855 View Post
I hope this is what you are looking for.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry it's been a while since I have had computer access to reply. HOw would I go about replacing my current module to a newer one? Would the dealer have to do that? Could I get that done under warranty some way since the two don't match now?

Everything is working now so it is not bad if I cannot get it upgraded but it would be nice if I could.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM

you'd need to buy a newer module. The dealer probably won't change it out under warranty because it does work properly and supports all the features that were available. You just got real lucky and got a newer model radio that is capable of more enhanced features. It is a simple module to get to and change out yourself. There would be no re flashing of the vehicle needed, just plug n play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen3855 View Post
Sorry it's been a while since I have had computer access to reply. HOw would I go about replacing my current module to a newer one? Would the dealer have to do that? Could I get that done under warranty some way since the two don't match now?

Everything is working now so it is not bad if I cannot get it upgraded but it would be nice if I could.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the help. Now time to decide if I should do the upgrade.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
2012RamBigHorn is on a distinguished road

just did the update in my 2012 and its easy just put the file on a usb stick/thumb drive and to avoid any problems like locked out radio's make sure you can dedicate 25-30mins and put the truck in the on position but don't start I would encourage you to not use ACC setting as if it times out and shuts off mid download your locked out so just turn a/c and everything else off and put it in run until your done

as for me personally I noticed a huge difference in the quality of my music being streamed from my blackberry and before it would take 2 mins sometimes to read my 16gig thumb drive with about 200 songs now it's almost instant
also before doing this update I had none of the SMS-text features now I can compose send and have messages read to me all using voice only so it eliminates me ever having to touch my cell which is much safer and much more true to hands free

Very nice update glad to have found it

Last edited by 2012RamBigHorn; 04-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Hello and thanks for your information about your update. I am glad that it all went well and that you are now pleased. One thing that I am glad that you posted was the ability to use the SMS text messaging feature. The BB phones (as well as few others) work great for this feature. However there are some phones that support the MAP profile but still have some issues. Some can rec a message but can't send a message. Some can send a message and Uconnect says "sending of text message failed" but the message still goes thru. In this case, the phone needs to reply to Uconnect that it has sent the message. This reply has to be within a time frame, the error message comes from Uconnect if the phone doesn't reply in time or at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012RamBigHorn View Post
just did the update in my 2012 and its easy just put the file on a usb stick/thumb drive and to avoid any problems like locked out radio's make sure you can dedicate 25-30mins and put the truck in the on position but don't start I would encourage you to not use ACC setting as if it times out and shuts off mid download your locked out so just turn a/c and everything else off and put it in run until your done

as for me personally I noticed a huge difference in the quality of my music being streamed from my blackberry and before it would take 2 mins sometimes to read my 16gig thumb drive with about 200 songs now it's almost instant
also before doing this update I had none of the SMS-text features now I can compose send and have messages read to me all using voice only so it eliminates me ever having to touch my cell which is much safer and much more true to hands free

Very nice update glad to have found it
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Rugged Brown
roadrnnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
The update that is being talked about here is for 2012 vehicles only and will not work on a 2011. As of right now there is not an update that will make streaming audio quality better. However this does depend on the issues that you are having. Does the streaming audio work currently? Have you had the update for the 2011 vehicles done (I am assuming yours is a 2011 because that what is listed in your information box, top left of your post).
Just found this thread and my audio streaming on my 2011 is awfull.

All garbeled. Are you saying there is no update availabale at all for my 2011 and what I got is what I have to live with?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:02 PM

The problem is that the phone manufacturers changed the bitpool rate a couple times since the 2011 Uconnect SW was written. At that time phones were tested and worked with the Uconnect system. The bitpool that was supported by Uconnect had been used by the phone manufacturers. As the phones got updated, the bitpool rate also was changed to a higher rate than what was supported by the system. They went outside of the supported values. This started last year while the 2012 SW was being written, so Uconnect was able to make the changes to the SW. Vehicles have a year model and then usually a mid year model. This is when SW updates are done to the year models to bring them current. The 2012 Uconnect modules had a HW as well as SW change in order to support the higher bitpool rate. So it may be that in order to get the audio enhancements as well as the other added features of the 2012 system, you might want to look into replacing the Uconnect module. This would be a direct PnP setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Just found this thread and my audio streaming on my 2011 is awfull.

All garbeled. Are you saying there is no update availabale at all for my 2011 and what I got is what I have to live with?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Rugged Brown
roadrnnr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
The problem is that the phone manufacturers changed the bitpool rate a couple times since the 2011 Uconnect SW was written. At that time phones were tested and worked with the Uconnect system. The bitpool that was supported by Uconnect had been used by the phone manufacturers. As the phones got updated, the bitpool rate also was changed to a higher rate than what was supported by the system. They went outside of the supported values. This started last year while the 2012 SW was being written, so Uconnect was able to make the changes to the SW. Vehicles have a year model and then usually a mid year model. This is when SW updates are done to the year models to bring them current. The 2012 Uconnect modules had a HW as well as SW change in order to support the higher bitpool rate. So it may be that in order to get the audio enhancements as well as the other added features of the 2012 system, you might want to look into replacing the Uconnect module. This would be a direct PnP setup.
The bit pool rate is what causes my problem?

How much are the modules and where do I get one?

Does the dealer have an update for my 2011 do you know?

This is what I have:

Thanks Man