DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

Gotta love how the first thing they do when you bring it in is hook it up to the star scan. I mean ok, if you have a rough running engine, dummy light or something similiar fine, but the truck rolling backwards?? WTF. I swear most "Techs" have lost the true old school mechanic way of doing things and aren't very good at troubleshooting. It's really a shame. What's next? Flat tire, oh I better get the scan tool first..LOL

BTW Good luck with your issue, that pawl obviously isn't engaging correctly..
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis1278 View Post
Yes there was snow on the ground, we got 10-12 inches over the course of the day today. It was not slipping or sliding. I had a GMC Sierra parked in the same driveway for five years and never had this happen, and never had to use the emergency brake. I would like to think that a new truck that cost 40k would not need to use secondary measures to keep from rolling down my driveway. I don't want to have to worry about having my truck roll over my wife or myself when we have to take my 2 year old out of his car seat, or worse roll over someone else if I'm parked on a street in a neighborhood somewhere. Yes it is a good practice to use your parking brake when you're parked on any incline, but I want to be able to think that a new truck would be able to park on a modest incline without being afraid of having it roll over someone and hurt them or even worse kill them. It is a scary situation, and I would hate to have to put m faith in an emergency brake and have to wait for it to wear out and fail.
I agree 100%-Doing what your truck is doing is a defect. This is a "No Brainer" situation and Chrysler should be viewing your situation as a very serious matter that should be resolved immediately. Safety is the issue here. How often does one set an emergency brake when parking with an automatic transmission? Yes, it may be a good practice, but I never do unless I'm hitching or unhitching my camper.

Maybe Transengineer can chime in on this one with some other advice.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
denis1278 is on a distinguished road

I would imagine that the mechanics are capable of diagnosing these problems, but since this is a warranty situation they were required to check with a scanner and see if any codes showed up. In my follow up with Dodge the rep said, that without being able to to replicate the rolling backwards, and no codes they basically reached a dead end, and were not allowed to start taking things apart without any kind of physical evidence of something being wrong. So, I'm left with the option of going back to the dealership, pickig up a tech, driving them back to my house and showing them in person. Or the other option, getting it on video and send them an e-mail in order to show them what is happening. Yes, it is very frustrating, but I can see that they heve to follow protocol. Just have to wait for the weather to clear up to get it on video.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Did the PRNDL display in the dash actually show "P" when it was rolling down the hill? Did you hear any noise (clicks, bangs, pops, etc.) when it was rolling?

It would be best to have someone else outside the truck observe the rotation of the wheels as the truck moves (when it's sliding down the driveway). Is one of the rear wheels rotating backwards? If so, then the problem is the icy driveway. As someone else already noted, Park locks the driveshaft, but if one wheel is on ice, then it can turn backwards while the opposite wheel rolls down the hill.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:30
Al E. Gator is on a distinguished road

Just one note. The primary means of securing your vehicle against rolling while in park is the PARKING brake. Puting a manual transmission in gear or an auto shifter into Park are the secondary measures. Think about it. How much does you truck weigh? How big is the parking pawl? Parking pawls have been failing on hils ever since automatic transmissions were invented. While not common, it isn't an unknown event. That's why the brake is there. I haven't parked without using the brake for 30 years and haven't had my vehicles roll. Lots of my family refuse to use the brake and their vehicles often move a few inches.

Having said all that, a new truck shouldn't be rolling.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

In my 30 years of driving, I have never had a vehicle roll backwards while in park (or in gear, on a vehicle with a standard transmission and the park brake disengaged).
I'm one of those guys that hate to use the park brake.

Obviously the park brake is there for a reason. Reading what others have said in this post makes me want to always engage the park brake in my truck. I have a 3 year old daughter that I regularly have to put into her car seat.

Engaging the park brake is a good idea anyway as it prevents the cable from seizing (and thus having to endure unnecessary repairs.)
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

The owner's manual tells you to always use the parking brake, and that's a good idea. The park pawl in the transmission IS strong enough to hold the vehicle in all "normal" situations. But if you're hauling a heavy trailer, and parking on a significant grade, I'd highly recommend using the parking brake, too! Likewise, if you're on ice, all it takes is ONE wheel to slip (with an open diff) and awaaaaay you go!

I drive a manual transmission Neon, and I've had it roll while parked in gear (with no parking brake). Fortunately, I was still in the vehicle (I wanted to see whether it would hold or not), so I just applied the parking brake. When I park on level ground, I just leave the trans in gear. But if I'm on an incline, I think, "Hmmmm... better use the parking brake on this one."

Best advice: If anything bad might happen if your vehicle rolled away, then use the parking brake.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 11 Ram Quad
Trim Level: sxt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:13
squig69 is on a distinguished road

i just back into the habit of using the parking break when parking. in my last truck i never used it and when i needed it the cable was siezed. backing the boat down the launch and just putting it in park was what i was doing, maybe i was one of the lucky ones where it didnt roll back.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:11
GearHd6 is on a distinguished road

I've got a question for the original poster. How do you know the tires were turning as it rolled back? You only looked out the drivers side window at that rear wheel and watched it turn? Maybe the passenger side was on ice and it was spinning the opposite direction? The driveshaft would still not turn but both rear wheels are free to spin in the opposite direction if one tire is lacking traction.

Just something to ponder....
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Hunter Green
denis1278 is on a distinguished road

I had the door open, I could see both the front and rear wheels rotating. I also had my wife come out to witness the truck rolling. There is snow on the ground but it is not icy or slippery. I even parked our Impala in the same spot in the driveway and tried to see if there was a slippery spot there, but nothing happened after several attempts. I tried several scenarios to try to rule out different things. Again, yes, it would be a good practice to use your parking brake, but this is abnormal for a vehicle to be doing this. And a new one at that. It is not a steep incline at all, a baskeball would barely be able to roll all the way to the street.