DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
denis1278 is on a distinguished road
Default Truck Rolling Backwards In Park!

Hi. I have a 2011 Ram Big Horn that I bought new last summer, that just started rolling backwards about 4-6' while in park. We have a slight incline in our driveway, and when I got home wednesday I pulled in the driveway, put it in park and felt the truck roll. I pulled back up to where I had been parked and tried it again, same thing happened. Tried a bunch of different things 2wd, 4wd, putting it in park, drive, vehicle running and turned off. Same thing happened, the truck rolled back. The truck only has 3890 miles on it. Called Dodge, they got a case going, and had me bring it to a local dealership. They tried to replicate the situation to get it to roll but were unsuccessful. Hooked it up to a computer, but no codes showed up and couln't find anything. Any thoughts or experience with this happening?
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the RamforumZ

I think your going to have to find a hill close to the dealership, that is as steep as your driveway, try to make it happen for yourself. Then take a Tech for a drive.

Something is not right, the Parking Pawl should engage almost as quick as you place it in Park. Keep after the dealer to fix it.

A Parking Pawl is not very big, it is just a round pin that engages the gear to keep it from rotating, here is a picture of one
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0spv...g-pawl-79.html
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

By the way, parking on anything that you can call a grade or a hill, a person should always use the Emergency Brake. A Parking Pawl should not be depended on to hold 2 1/2 tons of mass on a grade.
I apply my Emergency Brake before putting any vehicles in Park when on a hill or grade.
That way when i get ready to start off, i take the vehicle out of Park & then release the Emergency Brake.
If you try it one time, you will notice that it comes out of Park very easily, you don't have to jerk it out & you won't hear a noise like a bang or twang when the pressure is released.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 03-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 quad ca big horn
Trim Level: lts
Color: grey stone metalic
ironwill130 is on a distinguished road

i have a 2011 ram 1400 with 6000 miles i just got done plowing my driveway yesterday and drove up the incline and went to put it in park same exact thing i thought i was on ice and sliding so i looked out the windows and sure enough it was the tires turning not sliding , i tried to re put it in park like 5 times nothing , then went out did some errands and it worked normal again no issues since then , weird i thought maybe snow or ice got jammed in the shifter linkage or something preventing it from going all the way in park , i dont know ill let u know if it happens again .
Old 03-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Dodge had called back this afternoon to do a follow up and see what the dealership found, told him nothing was found and brought the truck home last night and it did the same thing again. He said the same thing, that i may have to actually have a tech in the truck with me in my driveway to see firsthand. I told him that i may end up just having to get it on video and e-mail it. He thought that was a good option, and then they will be able to see it and then maybe be able to look into the transmission. He said with warranty work there were certain protocols that had to be followed before they start taking things apart.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Ram Tough . Man, the more I read, the more I wish I had a Chevy or Ford. I think these transmissions are made of thin gauge tin. I really question the reliability in the long haul.

OP: I hope this gets resolved for you. The next thing the dealer will tell you is that your driveway is moving, not the truck.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red
buckola is on a distinguished road

So what happens if it rolls into someone or worse...over someone. Hope they get this resolved quick.
I haven't used a parking brake in 40 years.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out with your problem... I would be interested in knowing what they (dealer) diagnose the problem as.... Keep us updated because it sounds like you are not the only people out there with this issue......Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:44
Ironsides is on a distinguished road

Were you on snow or ice at the time?

All the 'Park' gear does is lock the driveshaft. If you have an open differential, the wheels can still spin in opposite directions, and the truck will move. If you park on a slippery surface, on a hill, use the parking brake.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

I would just use the emergency brake to keep it from rolling. I engage the emergency brake anytime I park the truck, even if on level ground. Never trust the Parking Pawl to hold the truck.

Darin
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yes there was snow on the ground, we got 10-12 inches over the course of the day today. It was not slipping or sliding. I had a GMC Sierra parked in the same driveway for five years and never had this happen, and never had to use the emergency brake. I would like to think that a new truck that cost 40k would not need to use secondary measures to keep from rolling down my driveway. I don't want to have to worry about having my truck roll over my wife or myself when we have to take my 2 year old out of his car seat, or worse roll over someone else if I'm parked on a street in a neighborhood somewhere. Yes it is a good practice to use your parking brake when you're parked on any incline, but I want to be able to think that a new truck would be able to park on a modest incline without being afraid of having it roll over someone and hurt them or even worse kill them. It is a scary situation, and I would hate to have to put m faith in an emergency brake and have to wait for it to wear out and fail.