DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeJohnny View Post
The pics did show up, great looking unit!

This is what I am looking at.

Kingsport 301TB Silver Edition
Go with the Airlift 1000 airbags, they install right into the factory springs, route your fill lines to wherever is convenient, add or let air out for whatever configuration you have, or go with the hassle free Timbren's, pop out the factory bump stops and replace with these and forget about them, hassle free piece of mind, either will meet the objective with the coils on the new rams, both costing about the same.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Air assist bags are a good idea but if the wieght is distributed correctly via the WD Hitch in the first place you havn't got problem.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
Go with the Airlift 1000 airbags, they install right into the factory springs, route your fill lines to wherever is convenient, add or let air out for whatever configuration you have, or go with the hassle free Timbren's, pop out the factory bump stops and replace with these and forget about them, hassle free piece of mind, either will meet the objective with the coils on the new rams, both costing about the same.
The airlift 1000's only add 1,000lbs of lift. He is awfully close to that at 840lbs. The springs can also rub on these types of airbags which, over time, can pop them.

The way the TLC setup is designed, the airbags never touch your springs, so there are no moving parts to rub on the bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011lilred View Post
What??? His tongue weight is only 840lbs, 420lbs with equalizer bars...this is NOT going to make his truck squat excessively and need a bunch of other BS to haul that trailer. I hauled a 10,000lbs enclosed trailer from Little Rock to Maryland with my 2003 1500 Hemi with nothing more than equalizer bars. Sure the 3rd gens used leafs instead of coils, but still, 850lbs of tongue weight is not alot - a bumper hitch can handle that.
If you tow anything with your 4th gen, you know otherwise. As soon as you set more than about 400lbs on the back of the truck, equalizer bars or not, you will start squatting. 800lbs, your springs are almost completely compressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Very nice WeeJohnny. Just make sure you go with a Wieght Distribution Hitch & you wont even notice any Sag if it's set up properly. Good luck man...
Again, not true with the 4th gen. Yes, leaf springs make that much of a difference.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Dont worry about it man. As soon as mine is set up i'l post pics for you. No Bags needed. Already some pics on here somewhere of other trucks with TT's setup.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Rep:11
dixiejwo is on a distinguished road

Not trying to hijack the thread, but looking at the towing guide linked above...why does the towing rating jump so much when the gear is lower? I understand the truck will get going better but I thought that rating was the "safe" amount you could pull. How is it unsafe just because I can't put as much torque to the ground?

For example my 2500 CC Big Horn is listed at 10,500lbs with a 3.73 but 13,500 with a 4.10. Hard for me to believe that my truck is "safe" pulling 13,500 lbs with 4.10s but somehow unsafe doing the same with 3.73s? The towing experience will be worse of course, but is that really what drops the rating?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as too much research
there is what the book reads & actual experience

the manual says what the engineers say it can tow
The people that have actually towed comments are what really matters
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiejwo View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but looking at the towing guide linked above...why does the towing rating jump so much when the gear is lower? I understand the truck will get going better but I thought that rating was the "safe" amount you could pull. How is it unsafe just because I can't put as much torque to the ground?

For example my 2500 CC Big Horn is listed at 10,500lbs with a 3.73 but 13,500 with a 4.10. Hard for me to believe that my truck is "safe" pulling 13,500 lbs with 4.10s but somehow unsafe doing the same with 3.73s? The towing experience will be worse of course, but is that really what drops the rating?
It's a warranty thing - just like the the deeper gears make it easier to tow more weight, the taller gears make it harder and therefore put more strain on the drivetrain and they figure it lessens the chance for failures and therefore warranty work if they rate if for less weight.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I regularly pull 7000lbs of trailer behind my 2010 1500 with about 800lbs of tongue weight. I do not use a weight distribution hitch, but do have Timbren's installed to eliminate the sag.

Before I get jumped on about not using a WD hitch, and to qualify why I'm recommending you do use one, there are many factors to consider when it comes to towing big weight behind your truck. Without going into detail, you of course must ensure that you do not exceed any of the manufactures weight specs. It is also very important that you do not exceed the rating of the hitch components, and the hitch coupler (slug) is one that is often over looked. Most are rated at 500lbs, so be aware of that. I happen to use the 'Alumastinger' rated at 2000lbs tongue, so it is over rated compared to the actual hitch receiver.

The suspension in 1/2T trucks is not optimal for heavy towing, as a properly loaded trailer will place about 10% of it's gross weight on the hitch. If this weight exceeds 400lbs, suspension enhancement is desired and recommended to ensure the overall drivetrain geometry is maintained at a point to ensure best handling and minimize the off geometry loading a wear on drivetrain components.

As the length of the trailer increases, the load change on the hitch changes to a greater degree when driving through rises and dips, which leads to the reason I recommend you consider using a WD hitch. It will go a long way to control the hitch loading to ensure your truck stays well within geometric limits as well as ensure predictable handling.

Although under certain circumstances, you may be OK without suspension enhancement, I highly recommend it as yet another 'correct' thing to do to ensure overall safety and reliability. After all, when you consider the $ investment you have in the truck and trailer, the cost to enhance the suspension is very low.

The most popular suspension enhancements have already been mentions in the posts above, but I will summarize them -

1) Airlift 1000 - Inexpensive, relatively easy to install, adjustable (I have never used these myself)
2) Timbren SES - Slightly more expensive, ultra easy to install, not adjustable (I currently use these)
3) Total Load Control - More expensive, looks pretty straight forward to install, full adjustable (These are on my mod list for this summer)

So, why would I not consider the Airlift 1000, and replace my Timbrens with TLC ??

There are many success stories on this forum with the Airlift 1000, however I make my living with the equipment in the trailer, and a failed airbag (although not common, does happen) could cost me a lot more than then the cost of the whole trailer let alone the cost of a suspension enhancement system. The cold weather I usually have to deal with for many months of the year, and the experiences of others here with them is also a consideration for me.

The Timbrens are great....love them! However, there are times that I wish I had some control over the amount of enhancement, as I could then level my truck and adjust the rear suspension as required from time to time.

Total Load Control is offering a system that mounts where my Timbrens are, is made of a material proven to handle the weather I will require them to work in, and offers the adjustability I desire. The fact that TLC is a supporting site vendor is a real bonus.

If you ensure that your truck/trailer unit is setup for success, then you can enjoy your travels with piece of mind knowing that everything is designed to ensure safety and reliability. Which ever system/setup you choose, have a great time in your camping adventures, and take lots of pics to share with us.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2013 QC Bighorn Ram
Color: Max Steel
Rep:10
NumberCruncher is on a distinguished road

Without getting into an argument about Ram vs. the competition, how much more weight can the competition handle before needing airbags or a weight distributing hitch? 400 pounds of tongue weight equates to a 4,000 pound trailer which is pretty light in my book. If a Ram starts to sag at around 400 pounds, does the competition with leaf springs have a 50 pound advantage for tongue weight or a 200 pound advantage? Tough question to answer I know.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
The airlift 1000's only add 1,000lbs of lift. He is awfully close to that at 840lbs. The springs can also rub on these types of airbags which, over time, can pop them.

The way the TLC setup is designed, the airbags never touch your springs, so there are no moving parts to rub on the bags.

If you tow anything with your 4th gen, you know otherwise. As soon as you set more than about 400lbs on the back of the truck, equalizer bars or not, you will start squatting. 800lbs, your springs are almost completely compressed.

Again, not true with the 4th gen. Yes, leaf springs make that much of a difference.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Towing a Uhaul trailer. It was unloaded at this point. With the trailer loaded, there was still SOME rake, but not a whole lot