DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeJohnny View Post
Hey Folks,

Looking to Tow a 6500lb(dry weight) travel trailer with my 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn. Any thoughts on what to expect or any experiences towing travel trailers with the new edition?
You want to check on a couple of things, refer to your build sheet if possible, if your truck came with the heavy tow package (should see that on your window sticker sitting on the lot), your golden, along with the rear-end ratio, 3:92's being the optimal pulling gears. This ratio is limited slip also. Even if you had 3:55's, plenty of power, maybe slightly slower acceleration, (gears being taller), I would think you would still be safe at that weight. My trailer is about 5600#'s loaded, you know it's there, you just have to be reasonable about expected performance, pulls beautiful between 55 to 65 mph. Let the truck pull on it's own and expect to see 10 to 13 mpg, that's real-world numbers for mine, that's with the 3:92 gears. Weight distribution hitch and sway control levels everything, cuts your tongue weight approximately in half. I have the timbren rubber suspension on the rear, they substitute the factory bump stops. They sit about an inch above the rear axle unloaded, any squat is taken up by the rubber stops with a load, greatly relieving your factory springs, also adding roll stability. Combined with your factory trailer-tow, the hemi pulls loads awesome. Good luck with trailer towing!
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

First and foremost, My name is Josh and I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

If you are towing a 6500lb trailer (which you can do just fine), you will notice something profound almost as soon as you set your trailer on your hitch. Your truck will go from raked (the front end lower than the rear), to squatting. Your coil springs will collapse under the weight, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where the good folks at Total Load Control Suspensions come in. TLC John will not only hook you up with great customer service, but Ramforumz members even get discounted pricing on their kits. This system is designed and patented specifically for 2009+ Ram 1500's. It will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability.

Shoot TLC John, or myself a message, and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Happy Travels!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeJohnny View Post
I am doing research aren't I?
No, you are asking others to do your research for you. Simply looking up your trailer tow rating and reading existing posts would have given you your answer.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Color: Prarie Pearl Coat
Rep:10
WeeJohnny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011lilred View Post
No, you are asking others to do your research for you. Simply looking up your trailer tow rating and reading existing posts would have given you your answer.
Thanks ChiChi, I guess what I meant to ask was for other peoples expierences.....I'll run it buy you first before I post, seems to be a problem with my wording.

Thanks to all who are helping and I hope I am not bothering anyone.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 1500 & 2006 2500
Trim Level: Express &ThunderRoad
Color: Flame Red & White
Rep:15
2011lilred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
If you are towing a 6500lb trailer (which you can do just fine), you will notice something profound almost as soon as you set your trailer on your hitch. Your truck will go from raked (the front end lower than the rear), to squatting. Your coil springs will collapse under the weight
What??? His tongue weight is only 840lbs, 420lbs with equalizer bars...this is NOT going to make his truck squat excessively and need a bunch of other BS to haul that trailer. I hauled a 10,000lbs enclosed trailer from Little Rock to Maryland with my 2003 1500 Hemi with nothing more than equalizer bars. Sure the 3rd gens used leafs instead of coils, but still, 850lbs of tongue weight is not alot - a bumper hitch can handle that.

Last edited by 2011lilred; 02-25-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Just wondering if he pic's of my TT showed up ??
Old 02-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011lilred View Post
What??? His tongue weight is only 840lbs, 420lbs with equalizer bars...this is NOT going to make his truck squat excessively and need a bunch of other BS to haul that trailer. I hauled a 10,000lbs enclosed trailer from Little Rock to Maryland with my 2003 1500 Hemi with nothing more than equalizer bars. Sure the 3rd gens used leafs instead of coils, but still, 850lbs of tongue weight is not alot - a bumper hitch can handle that.
He is correct they will collaspe. I just pulled 7200 pounds on my ram and it was sitting down pretty low. I pulled a u-haul auto transport with an SUV loaded up. The pull was easy everything performed great only wish I had bags to level out the truck when loaded like that.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Color: Prarie Pearl Coat
Rep:10
WeeJohnny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Just wondering if he pic's of my TT showed up ??

The pics did show up, great looking unit!

This is what I am looking at.

Kingsport 301TB Silver Edition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 903796-100_4436[1].jpg (59.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
He is correct they will collaspe. I just pulled 7200 pounds on my ram and it was sitting down pretty low. I pulled a u-haul auto transport with an SUV loaded up. The pull was easy everything performed great only wish I had bags to level out the truck when loaded like that.
I pulled a 5x8 Uhual loaded all the way up for our move. 1000 miles. I have 3.55 gears and it pulled easy - obviously, it's not a heavy trailer. But when I got that trailer loaded up there was noticeable sag in my rear end. I also had maybe 150 - 200 lbs of stuff in the bed. Add 2 people, our 80 lb dog, and tv with other odds and ends in the cab. Like I said, it pulls easy, the HEMI has tons of power. But I was not impressed with the rear suspension.

The Ram website says towing capacity for my truck is about 8500 lbs. I would not want to come anywhere close to that number with stock rear suspension.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 CCSB
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black & Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:92
col will become famous soon enough

Very nice WeeJohnny. Just make sure you go with a Wieght Distribution Hitch & you wont even notice any Sag if it's set up properly. Good luck man...