DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: sport/off road
Color: flame red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
myf1lthyh4nds is on a distinguished road
Exclamation new guy with a slight problem

hey guys im new here my names Brent and i recently purchased a 1999 ram 1500 4x4 sport/off road model with the 5.9 i am not new to dodges as i have had a couple others in the past this truck only has 73,000 original miles and runs fantastic all of the gears seem strong as new except 2nd the other day when i was going up a hill in town it acted like it was mis firing or bucking and today i noticed when i had manually kept it in second it slipped a little when i got on it a little bit but it will not slip in any other gear at all and it also shifts pretty much perfectly like new so dose anyone have any ideas? any information would be greatly appreciated and im glad to be a part of the ram forumz

-Thanks Brent
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: sport/off road
Color: flame red
myf1lthyh4nds is on a distinguished road

:smiley_aag v:
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 dodge ram 1500
Color: yellow
chace.a.lace is on a distinguished road

hey i have a 2000 dodge ram with the same exact problem when shifting into second on a up hill, have you figured it out yet? i am trying to diagnose as well.
chace
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1749
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

We have a member who's pretty good at explaining what to do with transmissions.

I'll PM his this link and see if he can help...

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:23
Dodge Boy13 is on a distinguished road

mines automatic 98 and i have the same exact problem! it doesnt seem to be slipping but it bucks and hesitates...ive ran injector cleaner through it and no dice..any ideas?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Hmm sounds very interesting, and that it happens only in 2nd gear. Well the first thing I would do is drop the valve body and check the flex band, it's possible that the band will need to be adjusted and sometimes when they are way out of adjustment the band strut will fall so try adjusting the band, this may help with a slipping 2nd gear, the thing is that it could still slip due to a loss of pressure in the servo due to a leak. The band when applied has aprox 2300-2800 PSI of clamping force so yea... Oh and for those never adjusted a band, the front band adjuster is located on the driver side of the bell housing behind the linkage. You just have to loosen the locknut then tighten the adjuster to 72 inch lbs, back off 3 turns then tighten the locknut to 25-30 ft-lbs. The rear band is the same except you back off 2 turns. The rear band rarely needs adjusting because that band is applied only in reverse and manual 1st. And don't be concerned if you experience a slow WOT 1-2 shift, it's uhh normal and it sucks.

The last thing on my mind is something with the torque converter but like I said last thing on my mind. I would bet money on the band adjustment, if it slips excessively it could cause some engine buckling, the band holds the driving shell stationary thus holding the sun gear stationary and if it slips a little it will slightly lockup the transmission making it a little hard on the engine to turn. If you want to make it almost slip free you would want to upgrade the band lever, the stock lever is either a 2.5 or 2.9, some are 3.X, generally the higher 3's to low 4's are fine, anything higher would be very brutal on the transmission. But you would have to remove the transmission to gain access to the lever shaft plug to be able to remove the lever so is it worth it...

But first try out adjusting the band, I cannot say 100% that will correct the problem but if you tow often and haven't adjusted that band in a while then it's most likely the culprit, even if you don't tow often, if you haven't adjusted that band in long time or never then you can bet the farm on that part.

Tell me how everything goes or doesn't go, if still no good then I can go forward from there. Don't be alarmed if I don't respond for maybe a day or two, I am without internet and have been busy. I have a transmission I'm overhauling so I will be busy for a day or two.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 08-02-2012 at 10:57 AM.