DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Mensen is on a distinguished road
Default best way to level

I just got my 2003 Ram 1500 Laramie and I love it, except for 1 thing. I can't leave well enough alone and I'm not quite liking how the front end sits. The front end is sitting a little low and I was concidering raising it up a bit. I know I could just crank the torsion keys but I'm hesitant cuz I have heard a lot about premature wear of CVs and ball joints. Also will I need to get longer shocks? I've heard both ways.

I am happy with the overall ride height of the truck, but a couple extra inches wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I just wanted to know what you guys thoughts were, and any pictures you had of similar mods.

Its a 2003 QC 1500 Laramie with 265/70 R17 bone stock. The tires are almost brand new and aggressive enough for now so they will be on there for a while. A CAI is going on before summer but other than that and maybe a bull bar is all I have planned so far, except some 285/70 when these wear out
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue/Silver
Rep:36
MadSoul87 is on a distinguished road

I have seen some guys on here saying that they cranked the torsion and added the new shocks and haven't had any issues over the years. Have heard others say that they prefer adding the keys and shocks and going that route. It is all in what you want to do and think would be best for your truck. If all you are going to do in the near future is a CAI then buying keys and shocks shouldn't break your budget too bad. I was going to put keys on mine but decided to just deal with my stock height until I get my lift kit. Not sure if this helps any, but just gives ya a basic understanding on how some people make the decisions on what they do with their truck. If you want to go with the keys then go to truckaddons.com and they have a good price on a set of Rough Country torsion key leveling kits.

My Build Page
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102923
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Charcoal Gray
Rep:10
Mensen is on a distinguished road

The other thing I was worried about and forgot to mention was towing/hauling with a level kit. Is it going to make the front end too light so it gets squirrely when going down the highway
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue/Silver
Rep:36
MadSoul87 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe it will. There are plenty of people who run level kits and tow. I have seen many trucks around here with 3 inch lift kits that towing heavy gas and oil rig equipment and welding equipment so don't think that will be a major issue.

My Build Page
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102923