DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.2L Wxhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
slasher012 is on a distinguished road
Default Anbody used cutouts?

I'm about to get PaceSetter long tube headers for my 01 5.2L Ram. After the headers I'm not sure what I'm going to put yet, either the y-pipe that PaceSetter makes to go with these headers, or get a cutout for each header then have the exhaust shop down the street make a custom y-pipe. I could put just one cutout on the PaceSetter y-pipe if I go that way. I haven't figured out what I'm putting after the y-pipe, but I want to figure out this part first. Does anyone use cutouts to know how it would sound? I'm not set on using them but just looking at as option.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

One of our own super mods CDNOilRam has done cutouts and they sound awesome. Hopefully he will chime in and fill in the details of how he did his.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

So no one has any input?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I missed this one earlier. Yes, I have a quicktime performance e-cutout on mine and I love the thing; there's nothing like being able to have a great sounding exhaust (I have a borla dual rear) got from "mean" to "quick, hide the kids, the end of the world is coming!" in under 7 seconds. I have had a bad habit lately of driving with it open just because I love the sound of open headers so much, but I am still able to have a relatively quiet exhaust when the better half is riding with me.

I had mine installed after my y-pipe since I only use it for the sound so I figured 1 was enough. If you are planning to supercharge, then after the headers makes sense, but if you're naturally aspirated then you won't see any performance gains.
There are many companies out there and in the end, all e-cutouts fail over time, and by fail they usually start to rattle when shut. I've had mine for over a year with no issues, so I endorse the QTP product. I know many people that got the DMH setup and have had them fail in under 3 months. A tip to making your cutout last a long time is to not open/close when you're on the throttle, I normally am stopped or cruising with my foot off the pedal when I open mine so there's not a whole lot of extra pressure that it has to fight against to cycle.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

What about a manual cutout vs. an electric. Either way sounds like it would definately be worth having at least one.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

manual cutout are only good for track use IMHO. You'd have to get under your truck everytime to unbolt the cover, then bolt it back up when you're done. The e-cutout is worth it for the convenience; as well as being able to close it when you're around the police so you don't give them any MORE reasons to pull you over, especially if you live in a place with a sound restriction law.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

I have an electric e-cutout on my 5.9. Just before the muffler but infront of the O2 sensor. Works great. welded it up and wired it to my amp for my subs to get power. It's LOUD. To be honest, it shook loose some of the bolts hidden somewhere in my bed so it rattles now sometimes. I'll take a new video for you tomorrow but this is what i have.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge 1500
mugapug is on a distinguished road
Default rrp

I have the race ready perfomance one. the unit is constructed well my only problem is the customer service is a bit slow.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

I'm certainly in the market for one as I love my straight pipes but they're too loud for Johnny Law.