DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Which stance should I go with?
The 1st one...it looks mean with it's @$$ up in the air. 0 0%
The 2nd one...a little less rake, not too much fender wheel. 12 22.22%
The 3rd one...Holy level, Batman! 42 77.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HOOAHHemi is on a distinguished road

I haven't ordered mine yet. Like you I'm waiting for the tax refund but I will be doing mine on my own. Ive done suspension work on cars and a buddy's JK and we always used coil spring compressors and I'll probably use them when I put the 5100s on my truck just to ease the install.
6'' BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 adjustables up front, 17'' XD Addict wheels, 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, Diablosport inTune, K&N 77 Series intake, Flowmaster 10 Series SIDO, Mag-Hytec diff cover, Rumble Bee hood, one piece aluminum grill, Extang Trifecta.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2012, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing mine myself as well.....save a couple hundred bucks. I was just worried about how big of a PITA it might be to get some of those nuts loose that haven't been turned in six years/65K miles. But my father-in-law has a lift and all the tools I need and I know a guy who can fix about anything and will work for beer so....I might just give it a shot, lol.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Color: Red
Rep:10
Big J is on a distinguished road

Go with the max setting. I just installed them this past Saturday and it sits a half inch high in the rear still even with 300lbs. of crap in the tool box. I started a thread that you can see a couple pics in. Buy some PB Blaster and soak all the bolts you can get to now, especially the big one at the bottom of the strut, at the sleave. No prob getting the nut off but the bolts on both sides were rusted/seized in the metal sleave in the bushing. It was an hour of hammer, lube, and a big impact working it back and forth getting it out. The single nut holding the top plate on was rusted up pretty bad too. Had to take a deburring tool and make flat spots on the oem strut to hold with a pipe wrench to get the nut off. As always, LUBE LUBE LUBE! Definitely will need a good coil spring compressor, broke the china made one, didn't break the blue point (snap on). Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Color: Red
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

I say go to the max unless you are towing. If you put air bags in the rear for when you are towing then you can leave it at max all the time.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I appreciate all the input everyone. Me being a little OCD...went out and jacked it back up today to do some more head scratching, lol. I agree with the majority that the 2" setting looks best but I think it's on the verge of making the stock sized tires look too small. And the thing that really probably made my decision....I got my son and his buddy (maybe 250 pounds combined) to sit on the tailgate while it was jacked up to the 2" mark and I did not like what I saw. It was very noticeably squatting in the rear. So I think the 1.3-1.4" setting is probably going to be the best happy median for me.

Thanks again all and it will probably be a couple of weeks but I will post some photos after the install.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '07 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Color: Silver
Rep:28
15004x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09nitetrain View Post
the last two couldnt really tell the difference, but i would say the last one, unless your always hauling or towing then go for the second to last one even maybe the last one and put a helper spring in the back to make it not sqaut so much when loaded but then you might end up with a rougher rear end ride
Could you tell me more about helper springs and how their installed, cost etc? Whould they increase payload weight and what's all this I'm reading about towing issues? You can PM me to keep from jamming up this thread. Thanks!

And by the way... I dig the last pic! I'll be following your MODs as your truck is about identical to mine.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
Rayne will become famous soon enough

I voted for leveled. Only way to go IMO
Recon 3rd Brake Light & Spyder Tails | AVS Vents | OEM Flares
WeatherTech Floorliners & ClearCovers | Black Honeycomb Grill
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 AM

What a morning. I took my truck to have the Bilsteins installed and took them inside to make sure the tech was familiar with the circlip and collar mechanism. The guy says "Oh, your truck has a coilover front suspension?"

"Ummm yeah, all 2006-up Dodge Ram 1500s do."

"Oh, well I didn't price for that. It's going to be a few extra hours and cost a little more."

"Greeeeeaaattttttt."

Then it got even better. After I had left the tech calls me and says he needs the key to my locking lugnuts. "My truck doesn't have locking lugnuts" I say. My turn to be the fool because actually, yes, it does. As close as I have been to my wheels (I have washed the lugnuts and inside the little well where they sit inside the rim several times) I never noticed that one of them is the slightest bit different...because it's actually a plastic cover rather than a chrome lugnut. And the best part of that? I distinctly remember throwing the key away some time last summer while cleaning my truck. I assumed that it had once had locking lugnuts and someone had replaced them....so why would I need the key?

Well they put the back ones on while they had it but that was all they could do. I spent 2-3 hours calling tire places and dealerships trying to figure out the best way to get the locking lugs off and still don't know for sure what I am going to do. My first thought was to just find a similar model truck and borrow the wrench but after a little research I have determined that it is not at all going to be that simple.

Sorry, needed to vent a little. Will update when available.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 02-15-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Update on locking lug key....I called McGard, the company that makes the locking lugs that Chrysler was using in 2006 (and maybe still uses...not sure). She had me email her a photo of the key pattern on my locking lug along with my vehicle info. She called me within five minutes and told me the key I needed was $14.99!! Would I like to order now? Why, hell yes!!! LOL. So it will be here probably first of next week and I guess I'll try to get my Bilsteins installed again.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2006 raqm 1500 trx4 hemi
Trim Level: trx4
Color: blue
Rep:20
09nitetrain is on a distinguished road

um they make a tool to remove locking lug nuts with out damaging them. matco, mac, snap on, blue point all make a kit. any good auto tech has this little speciality kit sitting in there tool box because people never know what happen to there key, can remove and and install them. i should move south and show these southern boys how things work and should be done..... http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...ST-SOCKET-SET/ heres one of the kits. tell your mechanic to invest!!!!!