DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 6.7
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:26
PAHemi is on a distinguished road
Question Help ordering a 2500 Laramie

I think I am going to order a new 2500 to replace my '05 1500 QC. I know what I want for the most part but would appreciate input on a few items.

First major issue, Mega cab with 6'4" or the Crew with the 6'4" and Rambox. I like the idea of the rambox for what I need, but the ones on the 1500 are too small. I have not been able to locate a 6'4" rambox to look at. It is a lot of bed space to give up so I want to be sure. If the rambox won't work I will need to go with the Mega for storage space.

The second it the rear defroster. Why can't I get the defroster AND the power roof?

Third, is the radio. Is there a big difference between the 430N and the 730N?

Is there anything else I should consider? This is quite a pricetag, so I want to be sure I'm ordering the right thing. Thanks.

All other options are the same.
2500 Laramie
5.7 Hemi
Mineral gray monotone
Dark Slate interior
Chrome body moulding
Off-Road tires
Remote Start
Power pedals
Park Sense
Clearance lamps
Anti-Spin 3.73
Snow plow group
Protection group
Media center 430N
Rear Window Defroster
Trailer mirrors
Spray in liner
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If you need the box for hauling stuff, then the RamBox is likely going to disappoint you in the long run, as you will lose all the normal box space above and infront/behind the wheel wells. Having said that, the RamBox is lockable, and great if you have a bunch of things that you always carry with you and don't have a tonneau cover.
On the other hand, the MegaCab is awesome. If you do go that route, you will likely never go back, so you might want to take that into consideration. LOL

Why can't you get the sunroof and the rear window defroster? That's a de-ja-vu question for me. I asked and was total (can't verify the accuracy of this statement) " the sunroof comes with a power sliding rear window, and the sliding rear window is not offered with a defroster. "

That aside, I live in Canada, have 'NOT' had a rear window defroster on my last 5 trucks, and have never wished I had it. Previously with regular cab trucks I wanted it, but once I switched over to extended cabs, I have had little to no rear window fogging issues.

Can't comment on the 430 vs 730 head unit. If GT Yankee see's this thread, he seems to be right up on the differences and features of the factory head units.

My current Ram is first 1/2T Ram I've owned, and although I really like it, I often miss the 3/4T trucks. If it fit in the box, it could haul it....and a trailer. With the 1/2T, I have to be careful....so the next one, I might go back to the 3/4T. Hopefully they will be offering the Sport Appearance Package for the 3/4T by then....like I had on my 04 and 08.

Good luck with you order, and keep us posted as to what route you decided to go.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I will only speak to the radio issue
The 730N RHR uses the NAVTEQ maps & is the most expensive
The 430N RHB uses the Garmin mapping system & many people say it is more accurate

I think this is strange, because GARMIN buys the maps from NAVTEQ
& are any where from 6 months to a year behind actual conditions, in San Diego, they are 2 years behind recently completed highways

Something to chew on
Every 3 to 5 years years the Map from either source, have to be upgraded, at a cost of something like $149 + tax & shipping, say $179

If you use a Smart Phone, the APPS are more up to date & you don't pay for upgrades, or i don't believe you do

Also if you buy or have a Garmin NUVI, you can buy them with LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC, or you can buy a card that gives you that for $89 for the LIFETIME

The difference between the Rams Nav & a NUVI, the RAMs NAV comes through your radios speakers
The NUVI uses its own speakers, not the Rams speakers

I have the RER 730N, it comes in 2009-2010 Rams, it takes me miles out of the way sometimes, but i can use vocal commands while in motion ( driving )
so if i know that i want to go from san diego to el paso, then to Texarkana, then to Harrisburg Pa & on to Hartford Ct. It is best to do it in stages, because if i choose San Diego to Hartford, Ct, it may take me 500 miles out of the way

I highly suggest getting the Back up camera, i really like it, especially at night
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-04-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Rep:44
gusman is on a distinguished road

My buddy just got one with the ram box. Hates it. Get the regular bed (6'4) and get a backrack and toolbox and be done with it. You'll still have room under the box and theres tons of room inside them, and theyre lockable. Why no cummins?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

Im assumin your stepping up to a 2500 for a reason and with the reason you have to be careful with megas
Their payload is substantially less then other 2500
Not to mention it will be a pain to get around for every day driving
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Color: Deep molton red
Rep:14
Moble is on a distinguished road

On the radio issue- I just ordered my new Laramie and was actually talked out of the 730 and into the 430 by one of the sales guys, not my salesman. After listening to his reasoning I agreed and went to the 430. Long story short, they have had some issues with the 730's and back up cameras communicating: they are not very user friendly, during on of my test drives I played with the 730 and damn near had to pull over just to switch from nav to sat radio. And your basically spending an extra 400 bucks on features you will use once such as the latest sports scores, nearest/cheapest stores ect... it's like picture in picture on our tv, cool during your tv search but never use it. Go with the 430!!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but i believe some people are confused about what the functions of the Ram MEDIA CENTERS actually can do

There is the Sirius radio, satellite
There is the SIRIUS Traffic, it tells you about accidents & construction incidents, so that you can detour around them

There is Sirius TRAVEL, it tells you about Gas Stations & prices, Movie Theaters, & other useless BS like restaurants, OH & sports scores. WHOOPIE

Of coarse there is the NAVigation, great for getting down the highway & with the help of TRAFFIC function, it is great, but every few years the maps need to be updated at an EXTRA CHARGE
Smart Phones are better with APPS for FREE
Garmin NUVIs can be bought with LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC, they also have speakers, although i don't know if they have VOCAL Commands
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the responses. They are very much appreciated since I can't see one nearby. Which differential ratio would you recommend for mostly highway? I don't want to loose all my response and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
If you need the box for hauling stuff, then the RamBox is likely going to disappoint you in the long run, as you will lose all the normal box space above and infront/behind the wheel wells. Having said that, the RamBox is lockable, and great if you have a bunch of things that you always carry with you and don't have a tonneau cover.
On the other hand, the MegaCab is awesome. If you do go that route, you will likely never go back, so you might want to take that into consideration. LOL

Why can't you get the sunroof and the rear window defroster?

That aside, I live in Canada, have 'NOT' had a rear window defroster on my last 5 trucks, and have never wished I had it.
I had two dealers check into the defroster with the sunroof issue. You absolutely cannot order both together. No one seems to have a good reason for this. I have a defroster without a slider on my current Laramie and I use it all winter. It is great for getting the snow and ice off.

I haul stuff but is inconsistent in size or weight. I do carry tools all the time that currently just have to sit under my cover or in the cab. The rambox would let me have my cab back and keep the dirty tools outside. It seems great in theory, but will it work out that way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
If you use a Smart Phone, the APPS are more up to date & you don't pay for upgrades, or i don't believe you do

I highly suggest getting the Back up camera, i really like it, especially at night
I currently use my phone for navigation so I am glad it makes sense to save the $ and get the 430N

Thanks for the vote of confidence for the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman View Post
My buddy just got one with the ram box. Hates it. Get the regular bed (6'4) and get a backrack and toolbox and be done with it. You'll still have room under the box and theres tons of room inside them, and theyre lockable. Why no cummins?
Unfortunately a toolbox won't work for me with a 6' bed. I won't be able to carry sheets of plywood, drywall, etc. They will still fit between the rails on a rambox but won't fit length wise with a regular bed and a toolbox.

I opted away from the cummins mostly due to cost. Way more for the motor, more expensive fuel, and reports of sluggish take-off. I drive mostly interstate so reducing fuel costs is a must with easy drive ability. If I had to pull a full trailer more often I would definitely have gone for the cummins. My friend loves his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangshcky12 View Post
Im assumin your stepping up to a 2500 for a reason and with the reason you have to be careful with megas
Their payload is substantially less then other 2500
Not to mention it will be a pain to get around for every day driving
Yes, several reasons. When I tow my trailer I have to be careful of how it is loaded. I could easily overload my truck if I fully loaded the trailer. Pointing out the Mega has a lower payload and tow capacity is very helpful. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference until I looked it up.

The 6' rambox is another reason. I would have to get a QC 1500 to get the new 6' rambox and I really wanted a larger cab than my current QC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moble View Post
On the radio issue- I just ordered my new Laramie and was actually talked out of the 730 and into the 430 by one of the sales guys, not my salesman.
I was just going to go with the 730 that was already on the order sheet until my salesman said the same thing. That is what prompted me to ask the forum for input. I think I will stick with the 430 now.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:10
emmado is on a distinguished road

I have a new 2012 2500 laramie mega cab hemi with regular bed, not ram box, and power slider, and power sun roof.I live in NY, have had an 06 mega cab, never needed a rear defroster, or ever wished I had one. The rear window never frosted over in my 06. The 430 radio wasn't availible when I ordered my 12, so I can't comment on that, but I have had no issues with the 730 so far. The combo of the rear camera and park sense is great. I got the stock power heated mirrors (not the optional tow ones) and tow a 20 foot long deck over with no problems, no buyers remorse about any of the options i did or didn't get. My dealer said on 7 percent of rams sold are Mega Cabs. I love my mega.

Last edited by emmado; 01-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well I bought a truck.

I found a 2011 Ram 2500 6.7 on a lot and loved it. Black Laramie Crew Cab 8ft bed. I got a great deal so I don't regret it but I still wonder if ramboxes would have been better for me. At least I have the extra bed space for a toolbox.

Thanks for the responses before. Now to mod out my new beast.