DODGE RAM FORUM banner

LED strip, dome light triggered help.

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Thebestestdrummer 
#1 ·
I bought 3 sets of 2 LED strips, 1 set is small, like 6 inchish. the others are longer, like 12 inches. Am I able to wire them all parallel to the wires by the dome light and be okay?

My plan is to put the small set in the dome light, and one set under the foot wells, the last under the doors, so when I open the doors, green dome panel, green foot wells, and green light shining on the ground under the doors all turn on.

That should be controlled by the doors and then the little wheel switch thing by the lights right?...

#2 · (Edited)
You just need to wire the positive(+) and negative (-) on the LED lights. You do not have to worry about parallel or series with LED lights. If you get it wired wrong the LED lights will not light up. If you have floor courtesy lights you can tap into that wire.

Greg

#5 ·
leds "shouldnt" pull enough power to blow any fuses. id say you would be just fine tapping into the dome light wire. im awaiting the arrival of some LED strips to do some puttle lights on my mirrors, and i as well will be tapping into the dome lights . Let us know how you make out!

#6 ·
so should i put a bigger fuse in fuse panel area? haha.

So what I'm planning on right now is place the strips, then run all the wires back up to the dome light area, then connect all the positives together, then all the negatives together, then hook them up with the matching wires from the dome light, that all works, correct?

#7 ·
yep would work for sure. can also ground any where to a good spot, and just run one power to the dome to trigger, or can also find where the wires exit the A pillar and go under the dash, and find the hot wire for your dome light. they should come down the driver side... may save running extra wire up through the headliner, a little less work for ya

#9 ·
hopefully this will be tomorrows project.

But heres a teaser pic, they're just placed above the visor. I'm going to get more LEDS tomorrow to place there as well because it looks great.

#10 ·
From the things I learned in Automotive electronics class is basically telling me to B!tch slap you for wanting to put a bigger fuse in the box :p

I always recommend against it. LEDs pull a trickle of power, and if you do blow a fuse run a new dedicated pwer wire.

The fuses in automobiles are selected for a reason (basically to not over power a wire, Always remember fuses are chosen based on the gauge wire, not the item there trying to power...). Think 20 years down the road when 3 or 4 people may have owned the truck, each one bumping up the fuse amperage for something or other, now someone has a nice truck on fire due to over powering a circuit.

Basically is what Im saying is you should be fine just tapping into the existing line, no fuse upgrade needed. ESPECIALY if your replacing the existing load, not using it with the new load (ie pulling the old bulbs out, then using only LEDS)

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.