DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Quad)
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
snake621309 is on a distinguished road
Default Removing Dashboard

Not completely removing the dashboard but I do need to pull it away so that I am able to replace the A/C recirculating housing (blend door broken). Has anyone done this before, if so, how does one loosen the steering column so that you are able to pull the dashboard out to be able to get into the back?
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

There should be 2 bolts holding the column up on a bracket. You may want to get a steering wheel puller and pull the wheel off too, it'll make the job a ton more easier.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Removing Dashboard

Thanks for the info, got it all accomplished, more than just 2 bolts I had to undo.
Anyways, no I have a different problem!! My Brake lights are staying on all the time, I have to disconnect the battery, so I can work on it tomorrow.
Any ideas on what might have happened, maybe the brake light switch went bad?!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake621309 View Post
Thanks for the info, got it all accomplished, more than just 2 bolts I had to undo.
Anyways, no I have a different problem!! My Brake lights are staying on all the time, I have to disconnect the battery, so I can work on it tomorrow.
Any ideas on what might have happened, maybe the brake light switch went bad?!
More than 2 bolts? My bad, it's been a while since I had one out. Good to hear you got it done.

Probably didn't go bad, more likely you disconnected it or bumped it so it's out of adjustment.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Roger; Not a problem man, I usually find things out as I go along, I just like to get perspectives from others that have done it before I delve into it.
In the process of re-installing the steering column back, I did not pay attention and broke off a piece for the BRAKE SWITCH which made my lights stay on. I went to Auto Zone and bought a replacement BRAKE SWITCH, installed it but evidently it was a wrong manufacture because after installing it the vehicle would not go out of PARK, the lights went out, it blew the third light. Got my money back, they insisted that it was the correct one for my vehicle!!! Anyways went to O'Riely's and bought one that resembled the original, now everything is working correctly, THANK GOODNESS!!!! But I am not getting any heat on the drivers side (floor, dash vents and defroster) so the scavenger hunt continues...
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vooderbar! 1 step forward, 2 steps back. That always seems to be the case. Good luck with the heater. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 1500 Qc 2wd
Trim Level: SLT Quad LoneStar
f6boomer is on a distinguished road

Last weekend I pulled the dash and hvac box to replace heater core, a/c evaporator and all blend doors.
There is a good write up on http://www.**************/forums/sho...d.php?t=308696 it's another dodge forum (dodgetalk) I'm not pushing them, I use both
for removing the steering column, and http://www.**************/forums/sho...hreadid=308726
on pulling the dash.
It's a BIG job (or was for me) but was well worth it. I've had my truck for 11 years since new and will probably have it many more (2 kids still in college). 3 of the 5 blend doors were broken and I bought the full Heatertreater kit for this truck, although it only came with 4 doors. I got the heater core and a/c evaporator from Rockauto.com. It's as good as new now and these blend doors should last as long as i'll have the truck.
There is no way to really check out how many blend doors and which ones are toast unless you get the whole thing onto a bench, open it up and see.
For me, it made sense to do the whole thing all at once and do it all while I'm in there. Also, the open cell foam that seals between the hvac box and the dash had deteriorated over time, so I cleaned all of that off and replaced with closed cell foam.
It's not a job for the faint of heart, but it's doable.
Good luck
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Boomer--> Absolutely right about not being for the feint of heart, but I got it all done didn't completely remove the dashboard but I could have if I wanted to, just didn't disconnect the wiring harness and emergency brake. Now that I did it it is an easy job just takes a few hours. It seems as if I might need to do it again to fix my no hot air blowing on drivers side. There is nothing wrong with the blower because it is kicking hard just not kicking hot air to that side.
Thanks for the info.