DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust or Tuner?

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Ram Night 
#1 ·
So, I have the K&N CIA and was looking towards the next mod, wondered what ya'll thought - what next? New exhaust (undecided specifics) or tuner (perhaps the superchip 3865) - if you could only do one for now, not knowing how long before being able to do the next.....thanks

#2 ·
I did my exhaust on my 07 1500 4.7 first and got my superchips cortex tuner couple days later. i went cat back true dual exhaust, gained power, better sounding and when i can keep my foot out of it better mileage. the programer is great too 91 performance make a power change that you can really feel but lower mpg, the economy is better mpg but you can feel the lack of power, so i find my self changing back and forth and i have to use 91octane. so i would say exhaust first. youll get better milage and still have power when you need it without having to pull over and spend 5 min changing program. hope this helps with your choice

#3 ·
:thk:I guess i would go with the exhaust. Cat back system duals. You might change your mind in time to do something else as well. You will get some performance out of it. Hey you might say ahhhhhhhhhh thats all i need.:LOL:

#9 ·
thanks for the replies - i bit the bullet and ordered the superchips flashpaq 3685 tonight....got to looking into dual exhaust and everywhere i looked was too pricey for now, especially for the good stuff!

tex, tell me how to do exhaust cheap (read: inexpensive)!! I've read 'bout the y pipe around here, but who & how much to get it installed? What/ where's the best "bang for your buck" in exhaust?

what's a goin rate for these "discount muffler places" - are those the better places to get?

#11 ·
If I were you I would get the Diablosport Predator for your truck. This will ive you the most noticeable gains for your truck. Once you have that then getting the exhaust will be way better

I wish you waited and got the Diablosport, I just saw that you ordered the superchips. That is a good programmer but the predator is better from what I've ssen on here

Well or an exhaust I will say that Gibson is really great! I have one of their cat backs and it sounds great!

#13 ·
That's what I thought too. I believe Chithead is a beta tester for the bully dog so I don't think its officially been released for the 4.7 yet.

#14 ·
Well damn ya'll... she's on her way here!

Scat, I've been looking at Gibson, but have been thinking flowmaster 17424 for the beast....
was hoping for something affordable, and this is where I'm at.....I NEED some inexpensive exhaust!

thankx!

#16 ·
Let us know how it works out. Not sure if there is any truth to numbers they claim for my 08 Ram with the 4.7. The website states gains of 48Hp + 62 ft/lb of torque on 93 octane and 40 hp + 42 ft/lb of torque on 87 octance. Maybe it's just me, but those numbers seem high for just adding a tuner. Maybe with adding exhaust and a CAI at the same time those number are true. Where is a dyno sheet when you need one!

#19 ·
Just search dyno shops in Arkansas on google. Not sure how accurate this info is but I found two . You can get it done before and after, whatever you want/can afford. Getting dyno'ed can get expensive, you will just have to check with the shop for rates. Sometimes my friends would go in together and rent the dyno to cut the cost down per person. -BK

Arkansas

Reid's Autoworks, Inc.
#2 Deoray Road
Arkadelphia, AR 870-246-7855

Street & Performance Electronics Inc
304 Smokey Ln
N. Little Rock, AR 501-945-0354

#21 · (Edited)
I would get the 3865 tuner, and then just replace your Mufffler with a 3" straight through Stainless Steel Magnaflow muffler and have a magnaflow stainless y-pipe installed also. I can not see going with a full cat back systen and throwing away a perfectlly good stainless steel stock tail pipe.
Plus you will get better torque by running a single exhaust.
Dual exhause it great on a car, but our trucks like a little back preasure for more torque on the lower-mid power range.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.