DODGE RAM FORUM banner

mileage mods

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  GPSHSLAX 
#1 ·
okay, i just got this truck. it's an 05 with 38k miles on it. just refilled for the first time, and to my horror, it was 14 mpg. i drive about 50 miles total round trip a day, mostly interstate with some city miles, but not many.

what can i do for better mods? all i've got now is a weld in muffler.

#2 ·
Best bet is add a CAI and set up dual exhaust. Unfortunately the 4.7s aren't known for their mpg.

#3 ·
Well, you're on your way there with the muffler, and if you left your stock pipe out the back, that's good as well, because it's mandrel bent & flows well. Next, would probably be an intake to get rid of the engine hat & improve flow there.

A lot of people also have a tuner or programmer as well, which have a fuel economy tune.

I'm not sure how mpg a tuner yields, but I would say the intake & exhaust combo would probably get you another .5-.8 mpg (depending on how you drive)

#5 ·
Welcome to the life of a 4.7 owner the only downside is the mpg's my 4.7 Dakota average about 13 and 15 but after I got an exhaust inake and programmer I pulled around 14 and 17 (then I lifted it and well there went that lol) I highly suggest a programmer and a cai even in the performance tunes youll get better mpg's and the mpg tune your truck will still pull harder than stock and get better mpg's check out rpmoutlet.com they have some nice packages and ya save some money buying the cai and programmer together I suggest the flashpaq by s/c good luck

#8 ·
this is a dodge thing if you really think about it rams really don't do well on gas at all any ways but hey you got to love them. i have an o6 with the 4.7 and it is getting about 15.5 right now and is all stock my 3500 dulley 5.9 magnum well 8-10 mpg's so it could always be worse

#12 ·
another thing that will help is tire size and design if u have a really soft mud bogging tires thats going to eat your milage because of resistance, now if you go with some General Grabbers or Goodyear Wrangler HPs that should improve mileage and also rim size 20x9's more weight more road resistance 17x8's less weight and a smaller tire area, better mileage

#16 ·
Look into the HHO generator if you want to get better mpg, a guy here at works say he's getting 30T mpg, but they don't work in cold northern weather. I'm from Kokomo, Indiana and we have some cold winter days. I haven't talked to him personally, but I will next week I plan on installing a HHO generator this spring for some enhanced mods with fuel additives such as HHO, I know they work I just don't know much about them.

#18 ·
Goggle HHO generator, these devices pull water apart into gas form called "browns gas". Research this online and you'll find plenty of information. Youtube has alot of videos of HHO generators. Its taking water into a gas form and mixes this at the intake to increase the fuel mixture, I know it works. Look up water torches for more information, this is no joke. The devices cost about 600-800 dollars for the good ones, but would pay for themselves overtime. I just know they have trouble in extreme cold weather enviroments. Take a look and let me know what you find, its interesting what you'll learn.

Daniel Young

#20 ·
Goggle HHO generator, these devices pull water apart into gas form called "browns gas". Research this online and you'll find plenty of information. Youtube has alot of videos of HHO generators. Its taking water into a gas form and mixes this at the intake to increase the fuel mixture, I know it works. Look up water torches for more information, this is no joke. The devices cost about 600-800 dollars for the good ones, but would pay for themselves overtime. I just know they have trouble in extreme cold weather enviroments. Take a look and let me know what you find, its interesting what you'll learn.

Daniel Young
There was a recent discusion about this on another board. It all seems to boil down to ... yes, you can generate Hydrogen from water via electrolysis ... yes, you can burn that hydrogen in your engine ... but you still can't violate the laws of thermodynamics, so you don't likely gain anything. The electrical cost of generating Hydrogen is greater than the gain produced by burning. Perpetual motion is just not possible.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=65839

#19 ·
A good mpg mod is removing the stock clutch fan in favor of an electric one. that supplemented with a CAI and fullexhaust will help things. some tuners as well will help. but like we have all said, these damn trucks are so heavy and require a lot of force, especially in town, to get moving.

I'm getting around 13.5 with about 50/50 driving and am "trying" to baby it. haha.

#21 ·
oh i was thinking an hho generator was something other than hydrogen. i will say i just don't believe that sorta stuff works very well. my brother attempted this for a science project and produced very little hydrogen.

i didn't even think about an electric fan. i think i'll just drive her as is for now and maybe do some mileage mods in the future like the cai's or k&n filter. in my experience a k&n does just as much for power as a full cai will do. of course this truck has that huge turbulence box or whatever i'm sure isn't good for mileage.

#22 ·
Well ... they call it a resonator, but a turbulance box might be a better name. I built my own intake to get rid of it. The thing that might have been better would have been to just get rid of the resonator/hat and run good clean pipe into the stock air box. I would probably still use a cone filter in the box, but if you like you could use a k/n drop in. That way you get rid of the box and the flex tube (to reduce turbulance) but still get the benefit of the cold air draw from the fender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.