DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How To 180 Degree Thermostat (Write Up w/ Pics)

107K views 172 replies 54 participants last post by  Bubsue 
#1 · (Edited)
Parts you will need:
part #4128 (alternate part #15128) 180 degree thermostat from autozone $14.99
1 gallon of coolant coolant $10.99
=$25.98 plus tax.
I had a 20% percent discount and ended up spending $20.78 plus tax!
:smileup:

Depending on how many miles are on your truck, you may need to get a new gasket for the thermostat, the only problem is they do not sell just the gasket at any parts house i have check so u might have to buy the factory gasket and rob the gasket off of it. (part #41603 if you need it)

Comparison of the Old and New

Same Motorad as the Jet, Just Much Cheaper:

Tools you will need:
1 ratchet (i used a flexible)
1 6" wobble extension
13mm socket
Gloves if wanted

Procedure:
1. Let the engine be cool! Do NOT rush and burn yourself!
2. Loosen the clips that hold the upper radiator hose to the fan housing and loosely pry up, this will give you more room to work with once it's loose:

3.Locate the thermostat:

4. Remove the two 13mm bolts:

5. Move the upper radiator house to the side (keep clear of the belt and anything else as not to get coolant on it)

6. Pull out the old 203 degree Thermostat:

7. Remove the gasket off the old thermostat and place on the 180 degree thermostat:

Comparison of the Old And New Again:

8. Place new thermostat in housing, Note: it is a little tedious to get the gasket to completely go down but just go slow and work it around in small increments.

9. Place the 2 13mm bolts back in, fill up with coolant and your job is done.

Took me 15 min. to change out the thermostat and I didn't time it after that to warm it up and make sure everything was good. Very easy mod!

A big thanks to this mod goes to OLDHOTROD who provided the part numbers needed to do this write up!:smileup:

See less See more
#29 ·
Timmy, why not a universal fluid?

All I've ever used is the universal on all my GM's and never had an issue. I had always heard that GM's dexcool or whatever it's called is junk anyway, so felt like it was a good thing to get a way from as well.

#32 ·
x2 on the HOAT coolant.

I've had my Jet 180º T-Stat for over a year, Run it all year round in Northern Alberta where it can hit -35º to -40º in the Winter.
Never an issue and my truck has never throw a code since I bought it May 08/10'.

I've never had a rich reading, if anything she runs a little on the lean side
I run a 93 tune and on 94 oct gas all year round too and I get great fuel economy and max HP.
My coolant temps are consistantly 183º-185º, oil temps 10º below that.
and my Trans temp hovers around 130º with normal city driving- even after installing a 3000 stall Torque converter. peaks at around 150º racing it.

On my Diabo Trinity there are three fan settings:

Cooling Fans AC Off:
High MPH HS Fan ON : 222.79º default value*
Low MPH HS Fan ON : 222.79º default value

Cooling Fans AC On:
HS Fan ON : 222.79º default value

*based on a stock 203º T-Stat

I changed All settings to 180º back in April, start of race season and left it there all Summer.
... but will adjust the fan settings back up to 200º+ for the Winter.

Heater still puts out plenty for me on the coldest days, but it is a smaller regular cab and I have heated seats

I run both the electric and mech fan for max cooling, it's not a significant enough drag to justify removing it IMHO.

#35 ·
Just completed this thermostat change over the weekend. I bought the thermostat from Oreilly Autoparts (part #4158, comes in Murray brand box but was stamped with Motorad) and had to buy Prestone 50/50 orange coolant from Autozone. All in I spent $14 on the thermostat and $16 on the coolant. Truck runs around 185-190 on the highway (75-85 mph). I'll update on the mpgs once I go through a tank.

#38 ·
Great thread, just bought the items you did, My only question is, did you drain some coolant out before removing the thermostat??? If so, where do you drain it from? If you didn't have to drain it, when did you lose coolant (enough to add more)? I've never changed a thermostat so I don't want to start loosening any bolts and then be covered in coolant, lol... Thanks in advance..
Jimmy

#41 ·
I didn't drain any coolant but it comes out of the upper rad hose when u remove it. Usually close to a gallon. I was wearing gym shorts and a shirt, my arms got a little dirty, thats it, just make sure to wash off the suspension and underside with a water hose when done to get the spilt coolant off.

can u use any type of coolant?
The coolant supposed to be used is the one timmy suggested earlier in the thread, however i used the universal and have had no problems.

Great write up for the knoledge base.
Thanks, oldhotrod is the one that got the ball rolling so don't forget to shoot him some reps for the part number, I try to do write ups if I do anything I feel like people would have questions on.

#49 ·
^good point but it only very rarely gets down to the low 10-20 degrees in central alabama and i love cold weather so it is still plenty of heat for me.

mopar, would you mind posting some more pictures of the inside of that catch can? Does it just unscrew like the BT one? I'm contemplating buying it while it's on sale...I also like how you mounted it.
I will take some tomorrow and send them to u. also i sent u a pm

#48 ·
I havent done this with my truck yet as it is hard to get to, but have done it on street rods I built. Only downside I ever had was heat during the winter, the higher thermostats keep the heater warmer in the winter, so I would switch them seasonally. If you put a cut off valve in line of the heater hose you can increase your A/C cooling since the a/c and heater core are usually housed in the same box, you can get about 10 degrees cooler sometimes more with an inline shut off valve.

#51 ·
I didn't read the entire thread, but can we do this with our 2011 Ram?

Since we can't ajuste the fan setting.

#57 ·
second life you might want to wait until there is a tuner to adjust since u have harsh winters. I cannot speak about that because it only maybe gets in the 20's where i live. no negative temps and hardly any snow so it's nothing for mine but it may mess with urs a little

#58 · (Edited)
I think i don't really have a choice.

Weather here varie between -35 C (-31 F) during winter to 35 C (95 F) during summer. It's just asking for trouble, well i think.

I do hope a tuner come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.