DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need help picking a tire.

4K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  Ryanb 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get new tires but i'm not sure what to go with..i really like the look of the goodyear duratracs, i get some snow where i am which is in Connecticut but not a ton. I also love the trail grapplers look aswell but not sure how well they will do in the snow? I haven't done any offroading but i plan to at some point. I also have a 2.5" leveling kit and i'm unsure if i'd be able to fit a 295/70r17 with aftermarket rims? If any knows of any other tires that are good with snow, on/offroad aswell but still has an aggressive look let me know please :)

#2 ·
The Toyo AT II's seem to be a pretty good tire if you're looking for something that will perform well on and off road and have more of an aggressive sidewall to make it look more beefy. Otherwise there's always the Terra Grapplers for another AT option. Those would be my top choices for AT's.... if you want to go to a MT the Trail Grapplers to look awesome along with the Toyo MT's but keep in mind they will be louder, not last as long on the road, and not as good in the snow.

With a 2.5" leveling kit I believe you can fit a full 35x12.5 r17 on with a 1/4" spacer. I know for sure you can with a 20" rim.... I don't see why a 17" would be much different unless there's more sidewall bulge.

#3 ·
if you are going with an aftermarket rim a 0mm offset to -12 on a 9" will be good ...not too much but can easily clear everything. i have 315/70/17's on a 2mm offset rim and have as much room as factory 275 60 20's...fast is running the terras for the winter and seems to like em, mud tires are not that good in the winter and the duratracs are a great all around tire and awesome for winter.

#4 ·
road noise wont matter, can't hear anything over the exhaust anyways :p and i'm stuck between the trail grapplers and the duratracs don't know what to get haha. I like AT tires but not aggressive enought for me. https://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/WheelDetails.cfm?IDNumber=Black Machine T04&SKU=8676 those are the rims i was looking at aswell. Only thing with the duratracs is that i can only get them in 285/70r17 the trail grapplers i can get in 295/70r17

#8 · (Edited)
Those wheels are sick. I'm sure you just used that link to show a picture but make sure you get the right lug pattern. 5x5.5

For what it's worth (just givin you some options) I have the federal couragia M/Ts. They aren't terribly popular right now, I think the low price is scaring people into thinking they are junk. I read A LOT of reviews on them before I bought them. No real figures about tread life because people just started getting them it seems like. I know people say M/Ts aren't great for the snow but I went rippin around in 6/7 inches of snow the other day and was very impressed with them. And they are great in the mud too. I know you aren't worried about road noise, but these aren't that loud, definitely a nice hum to them on the highway and when coming to a stop but I love it.

here are a few pics. they are pertty beefy.

and my wheels are -12mm offset. They stick out around 1.5" give or take

#9 ·
That's one good looking tire :) i still have sometime with my tires only have 18k miles on it so I'm just looking as of now. But I'll definetly be looking into those tires aswell. Will a 285/70r17 or a 295/70r17 still look small with a 2.5" level?

#10 ·
Ive ran the Toyo MT, Nitto Trail and now the the Nitto Terra for winter.

I prefer the look of the Toyo MT over the Nitto Trail, but that is my preference only.
Many will argue the other way.
Nitto Trails were not loud at all for what they were. Toyo's were slightly quieter.
Nitto Terra is ok in snow. Much better than the Toyo MT's but not as great...but they arent snow tires, rather AT tires.
But they are quite and a smooth ride.
I dont feel the nubs of the MT's at slow speeds....LOL

Overall....both of your choices are good :smileup:

#11 ·
How did the trail grapplers go in the snow? Do you think it would be the same as the stock tire you get on the truck in the snow or will it be worse?

#17 ·
anxious to get them :) the old man won't let me get any new tires till i need them though :l but just have to wait

#19 ·
start doin burns outs and go eff with your alignment. they'll wear out quick. :LOL:

accidentally leave your truck in a sketchy neighborhood and have them knifed

#21 ·
Yeah i hate waiting haha. I had just got an alignment because i leveled my front end so that will not work haha..ill just have to wait. The toyo AT isnt bad looking if i was going to go with an AT i think i would go with the General Grabber AT2 but I'm loving the look of the nitto trail grapplers.

#23 ·
It seems like you got your heart set on those Trail grapplers, and I agree they are a very nice looking tire. I just last week leveled the front and lifted the back an inch and put 325/65R18's with new 0 offset rims and they look nasty. I went with Goodyear Fierce Attitude MT's. Today was the first snow that we have had since putting them on and it drove like nothing. The only rubbing that I have is on the inner wall of the mud flaps.

Just figured I'd give some of my knowledge even if it is not much.

#29 ·
mt isnt gunna be better in snow then stock. prob the same. mt are horrible in snow lol..... i ran those maxxis big horn that newfiebullet was talkin about and theyre good tires, i had them when they first came out years ago really cheap back then and were good in snow

#30 ·
Stock is pretty bad but we don't get to much snow around here. If I'm stuck with them for a few months it won't be to bad i dont think. Do you think the trail grapplers would cost more then the goodyear duratracs? I got a price of $1600 for 285/70r17 on the good years and 4 new rims which are Tuff t04.

#33 ·
I'm getting a deal on them because where i work we get our tires from them, so i'm getting the deal they give my work :p $1600 is out the door price and i was really surprised that it was only that much. I figured i'd be spending around $2000 or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.