DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need to know what LEDs fit your truck?

199K views 482 replies 185 participants last post by  RustyWhite 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, since it seems to be sort of hard to find LED guides for our trucks, were banding together and creating an ALL Generation LED bulb guide. Also we will include HIDs to make everyones life a little easier. If you have read through a bulb replacement guide you will notice that most of the LEDs bulb # is the same as the halogen bulb number say from PepBoys or Autozone.

Here is a good link also to try and figure out what sort of bulbs you need for ANY vehicle. They way they create their list can be slightly confusing though, LINK, feel free to PM me if you need additional help, Im happy to spec LEDs for any vehicle you'd like.

If you have a list of bulbs to add and high resolution pictures to upload with them please send me a PM or post and I will update this until we have a full listing for everyones truck!!

A little more on reading into LEDs as well, as I have seen most suppliers label their LEDs the same way. We will use the most popular "921" bulb

The p/n for a blue 921 as seen in the pictures below is, 921-B12:

921 <--refers to the bulb type B <-- refers to the color 12 <-- refers to the ammount of LEDs in the bulb

another example would be a red version for the third brake light which would read:
921-R12

Also remember LEDs are polarized, meaning they will only work one way. If you plug your brand new LED in and it doesnt work, pull it out and insert it the other way before making an angry phone call to the supplier!

4th Gen LEDs
Reverse - 921
Cargo Lights/Top mount break light - 921
Map lights - 921
Dome light - 4410
License plate - 194
Tail lights / Brake lights- 3157
Front turn signal / Side marker - 3157

4th Gen HIDs
Quad lights
High beams - 9005/HB3
Low beams - H11

Dual lights
High/Low - H13/9008

Fog lights
(regardless of headlights)
H10/9145/9140

Example of 4th gen interior/exterior with complete LED bulb replacement

stock vs HID​

See less See more
#40 ·
You should have a responce :smileup:

I was travelling all yesterday afternoon/night and managed to get like 15 PMs, plus im operating off of my phone for the weekend so its gonna take me a ilttle longer than usual.

Everyone bear with me, i can check the forums on an off, but if you need any questions answered please email me (email is in sig)

Have a great weekend everyone

#41 ·
Great thread everyone! Thanks for pioneering is SS. Seeing you truck on here for the past few weeks has made me want to re-do the lighting!

My question is where are you guys getting the bulbs from? I see Recon has a kit, but it seems expensive. Saw that someone else went with Amazon, but I would be worried about not getting the right color/brightness. I am looking to get a brighter white with a blue tint. Just don't want it to be super blue.

Thanks!

#42 ·
The recon ones are nice but after i saw the ones of ss im really going to exchange the whole thing again :LOL:

love this strong bright blue over all, it looks great.

my wife really isnt happy im replacing again the same stuff, but as far ss gave me the whole numbers ill do on http://www.superbrightleds.com

#43 ·
Just one fix to the THIRD GENERATION numbers posted on the first page, the Reverse light is actually a 3057, which is not a wedge bulb like a 921, 194, or 168. At least that's how it is on my 2006, I know they did change tail light styles 07 and after to the 'retro' look.

#45 ·
Luck- I assume that's the issue. The '3rd' Generation has a cross breed in 06, where the front half of the trucks are the new style like 07-08, however, the tail lights are straight interchangable with the 02-05s. When ordering the '3057' LEDs, you will most likely end up ordering 3157s, but that doesn't really make any difference that I can tell. I'll inform more once I get mine and experience them.

#49 ·
Having some issues deciding which led's to get. I love the look of the first 2 trucks on this site and want to get them ordered. I am looking for the cool white LED's, limits some of the lights I was looking at. Below are what I have been thinking about going for. Thoughts? Will these be bright enough? The festoon is obviously for the dome and the others were going to be for other interior/exterior locations (license plate, reverse, etc)

Also, if these will work better in certain places and not others, it would really help me out. I have been doing my shopping on superbrightleds.com.

WLED-xHP: 1 High Power LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb
Options: WLED-WHP: Cool White

921-x9: Wedge Base LED bulb
Options: 921-W9: Cool White

4410-x9: 9 LED Festoon bulb
Options: 4410-CW9: Cool White

Thanks!

#54 ·
Yes, The early third gen trucks used a different set-up than the 07 I believe and for sure 08, I'm not sure about when exactly they changed over, just that my 2008 had two 921 bulbs.

If you look at your tail lights and can see THREE bulbs, then you have the 3057/3157 bulbs.
If you have the set-up with TWO bulbs in it, they are the wedge-base bulbs. Be careful though, I tried the brightest wedge base bulb I could find, and it was too big to fit, so I had to use a slimmer bulb.

Million9-Maybe you're right, it may have been a change in the middle of a model year, I've no idea.

Maybe a mod can help me add the above to the first page of this thread.

#53 · (Edited)
#56 ·
Ok cool, thanks. I think a note about the third gen bulb size depending on which tail set up your truck has should be good.
Thanks for the catch though, I didn't even think about that.

#58 ·
Hey guys, I'm just a little confused as I've done some reasearch into the HID set ups and I dont feel like going that route yet. I just want to know, if I buy these LED bulbs I just take out my old one and replace them as if they were OEM halogen replacement bulbs correct? I dont need anything extra to make them work? Also if that is the case is there any brand that from your experience is better and brighter then the rest? Its for a 4th gen laramie. Thanks for your patience and time!!:wavey:

#59 · (Edited)
LEDs bulbs are indeed perfect plug and play, assuming you get the right bulb. The only extra equipment you would possibly need is a resistor, IF, and only IF, you were replacing a bulb that blinks. For straight up light up bulbs (running lights with NO blinker, brake lights, reverse lights, cargo lights, plate lights) you just plug it in and enjoy your smart purchase. I prefer a ebay seller that I am familiar with, however for a wider assortment of colors and what not check out the site that SS4Luck uses... superbrightleds.com. When you get the bulbs, when you plug them into the OEM socket, if they don't work... use the following steps...

1. Don't panic
2. take bulb out
3. rotate 180 degrees
4. put bulb back in
5. be happy you didn't panic

#60 ·
awesome thank you for your help. If I put them in the flashers how would I go about installing a resistor? I've never touched the lights in my vehicles before except to replace them with OEM equipment but here in Canada our winters are long and dark so I'm looking at upgrading my lights. All of the exterior ones especially the rear ones as people tend to tailgate. Thanks again guys!!

#61 ·
From what I have read on other threads on here, you should be able to find a resistor (possibly listed as equalizer) on the same website as the LED bulbs. I have never installed one, but I believe it's just an inline type installation, cut the wire, install resistor in between the wire.

#62 ·
For the 4th gen, which light is the rear seat light, the dome light (4410)? If so, I can not find that number light anywhere.

#71 ·
Yes it is a 44mm x 10mm festoon bulb. There are better options color and light output wise for 42mm x 10mm bulbs so i usually recommend looking at the shorter ones

Can led's be used as headlights?? Ive always wondered, seems like theyd be brighter then normal bulbs.
Yes there are a lot of people that do. They are def the middle ground between halogen and HID

SS4Luck what color LEDs are you using for your reverse, cargo, license plate and interior lights? Cool white or blue?
My reverse, cargo and interior lights are all blue, my license plate bulbs are cool white

has anyone changed out the sunvisor lights to LED'S?
Ive looked and looked and looked and cant find a bulb that would work for certain.

#66 ·
has anyone changed out the sunvisor lights to LED'S?

#72 ·
@ss4luck...

Have any police officers given you any trouble with having the blue LED's for your reverse/cargo lights?

I put them in mine along with the license plate lights too, and not even 24hrs after putting them in I was pulled over and told that you cant have any colored lights on the rear side of your vehicle other than red or white

Is this cop just giving me a hard time or am I just unlucky?

#74 ·
Have any police officers given you any trouble with having the blue LED's for your reverse/cargo lights?

I put them in mine along with the license plate lights too, and not even 24hrs after putting them in I was pulled over and told that you cant have any colored lights on the rear side of your vehicle other than red or white

Is this cop just giving me a hard time or am I just unlucky?
http://youtu.be/Al3VV4k0OU8
See video lol

I had 7 color-changing LEDs in my license plate and drove to the police station and asked if they were illegal and they said sry nobody in here at this time can answer that question.. .. .. even though its very illegal where I live and I had no trouble but I would use it against them if they gave me trouble.. recently I have taken them out and switched to all white lights everywhere
Ya The controllable ones are nice... i just didnt want to spend the $$. Aparently its impersonating an officer which is frowned upon :4-dontknow: haha

#73 ·
I had 7 color-changing LEDs in my license plate and drove to the police station and asked if they were illegal and they said sry nobody in here at this time can answer that question.. .. .. even though its very illegal where I live and I had no trouble but I would use it against them if they gave me trouble.. recently I have taken them out and switched to all white lights everywhere

#75 ·
That's the responce I finally got when I asked a buddy of mine weeks later about my color changing ones. $1200 ticket and can possibly get arrested. I think I'll put the white ones back in lol

#77 ·
Thanks for that, I feel a lot safer with my cargo actually lol. I do need to order resistors or red bulbs for those, im just lazy :/

#81 ·
SS your truck looks great idk if you have already shared this or not not but where did you get your leds from and what are the part numbers for... the license plate, reverse, cargo, brakes, 3rd brake, rear dome, front map?, ash tray, and glove box... color and quantity?
I order from superbright and i didn't get all the right ones. Thanks for your help and if you'd rather pm thats cool but i cant pm back yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.