DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Finally found decent low beam bulbs.

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RansRAM 
#1 ·
Well it took a couple of attempts but finally have lowbeams that work!

PIAA Extreme White Plus 4000k, I now have to get a set for the highs as well, these things are pretty awesome! No glare and I didn't get one flash from oncoming traffic. Really good light output for a halogen bulb. Finally impressed with a bulb in these stock housings.

#4 ·
I tried getting pics but I don't have a good enough camera to really show the difference. It's one of those deals that you'll just have to come over to my place and we will go for a tear in the Ram and you can see the difference :)

#6 ·
Would you recommend the PIAA bulbs then? I'm on the fence whether to purchase the PIAAs or put in 35w 6000K HID.
So many people have had issues with getting their HID kit to work in the 2011 Dodge Rams.
I ran PIAAs in one of my previous vehicles. I found these bulbs put off a lot of heat (enough to burn a ring around the housing!) I don't want that to happen again. The plus side is these bulbs would be simple plug-n-play.
Down side is the light quality.

Do the PIAA bulbs make that much of a difference at night for driving? Do they light up the road enough? I don't want to do this twice; either it's PIAA bulbs or HID kit.

Any advice?

#9 ·
All a relay is, is a switch. all the relay does is when you turn on your headlights it energizes the relay and it puts a constant 12v power to the ballast. They come with plugs that plug directly into your current headlight plug which is why they call it Plug and Play.

Yes there is more to the story, Dodge's do however have a problem with their electrical systems. Well its not a problem, it can have negative effects on HID's.

Dodge's electrical system is based on a pulse modulated electrical current. The problem comes into to play with the relay. The computer sends a pulsed electrical current which sometimes acts like a AC sine wave more than a DC sine wave. (yes this is very technical jargin but just stay with me) A DC sine wave has a very distinct on and off. AC sine wave (alternating current) looks like a wave up and down.

So now the problem. The relay needs a constant 12v DC signal to become energized to where it acts like a switch to turn on your HID's. So sometimes it recognizes it as a AC sine wave so the relay will turn on and off at a very high rate which is called Relay chatter or buzzing.

So this will cause your HID's to flicker or not even come on because the ballasts need that constant 12v's to keep the high intensity lights going.

There are "error cancellers" and things to solve this that are completely plug and play.

Hope this helps. Its a lot of electrical terms but any further help let me know!

#10 ·
that is an awesome upgrade. i was sold on those until i read about the sylvania zxe bulbs and was able to get the heads and fogs for 60 bucks total off of ebay. i love the new look and they are great at night. i also aimed the lights a little higher than stock. sorry for the bad pic but it was the best i could do in a semi open garage during the day.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.