DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Newbie with a wiring question

896 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DodgeRamRules 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Big horn edition. I purchased PIAA Zeno 6 LED DRL's. The instructions tell me to connect one wire to the A/C wire and one to the head light wire, the black wire goes to ground. Can you tell me what the color of these wires are and where I would find them coming out of the fuse panel? Thanks.

#2 ·
This is actually a tough question to answer. Each light in your truck has independent wiring back to the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module), and this is done to supervise the lamps condition. That's how it can tell you a bulb is burnt out....and which one. Adding anything to one of these circuits can (and probably will) cause you issues unless you are very familiar with how to work with this system.

Second issue....yours is a 2011....unless you work for Dodge, the service manuals are not available. Having said that, I would not be surprised if it kept the same wiring code/colors (for the most part) of the 09's.

You made reference to the fuse box. In these new trucks the 'fuse box' is actually the TIPM. It contains a computer that talks to the other systems in the truck, as well as the power switching and yes....the 'replaceable' fuses. It is not an area to experiment in, as there are many circuits that could be damaged by minor wiring 'Oppp's'. I stress to use caution when working with unit.

Attached is the TIPM wiring and the Front light wiring information from the 2009 Ram in pdf format. Use this information as your own risk, and understand the risks are real! :str:

Attachments

#5 ·
Fog Light Wiring section

Hi Brad,
You seem to be very educated and exeprienced with the wiring topic here on this string. Having access to the wiring schematics tells me you know an awful lot:smileup:. Here is my question that I am hoping you can help me with. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT that originally did not come with fog lights. Just had the dealer replace the front bumper under warranty - but he got me one with fog light cut outs. So, do you know if the wiring harnesses are standard for all new Rams to the point that there should be an empty plug hanging somewhere for my to plug in the OEM fog lights? Would Chrysler actually make different vehicle wiring harnesses for all trim options? I wouldn't think so. Anyway, I would appreciate it if you could let me know. Thanks!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.