DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Led fix!

41K views 58 replies 32 participants last post by  13LoneStarDriver 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I think i finally made a breakthrough...

For the guys having filckering/glowing/stupid LED issues... It seems that regardless of the bulb color/style/location a 100Ohm 1W resister soldered to the LED fixes any issue so far i have ran across. the only possible issue I can see affecting this would be the weird when the trucks not running they work but when the tuck is running they do.

I know i said i would never go there, but from now on it is going to be my recomendation where if you have one of the trucks that has LED issues, those are the resistors to try.

I do not know if this will work with the blinkers and the "bulb out" notification. I ran out of resistors tonight when I did my neighbors truck, Imma pick up a few more Monday afternoon and try it, but until the the answer to 921/194 style problems appears to be this little baby resistor to actually create the right load in the circuit.

I will get some pictures up in the next few days, I jsut figure there are a few people dying to know this

pictures in post #5 of the correct way it should look when soldered. Credits to Mikeski

See less See more
Reactions: KA1OTE
#2 ·
Damn, all I have is 100 ohm 5watt. I will be off to the shack this afternoon to see if I can snatch me a pack of those.

#4 ·
Thanks SS. I picked up two 2 packs of those bad boys today. I spent all my time on the inside updates today though. I will do the soldering tomorrow and let you all know for sure how it works. Unless I get a wild hair like I feel coming on. Ahhh Helllll. It will take 15 min. I'm on it.....

#5 ·
Sorry it took so long. I was made an offer I could not refuse ;-)>

I soldered on the 100 ohm 1watt resistor on both the lights. Worked like a champ.

#7 ·
I have this one also. It's a little farther away. The other one has some focus issues with the macro depth of field.

#10 ·
IVe never messed with the older trucks so i cant help you. The eletrical systems on them are completely different and resistoring them to the proper load to get operation normal. DId you install the resistors or did they come resistored?

#9 ·
I can't help with the first issue. I am not sure how all the lights tie together yet.

I am just starting to look at what might be need for the dash. I have not driven it much at night yet. I don't know what I have. I found there was plenty of room behind the cluster. You gotta love a truck. It's built for man sized hands to be working on them. hahahaha.

My issue with the dash lights is going to be dimming. I have not looked at what kind of capabilities the LED's have. I am just not up to speed on it yet. But soon I will be.

I am of the impression just from looking that we will be stuck with the color of the center info panel and the stock radio. I bet we could limit the max intensity for the cluster panel.

Has anyone done this mod yet???

mikeski...

#12 ·
i lasted bout 2 weeks before i got a ticket for my cargos glowing blue.... if it wasnt a color i had to worry about i never would have cared.

infact the ticket happened before i ws into the hrdcore white/blue theme and i almost switched to red so i could have my cargos red lol

#15 ·
I did my brake lights lastnight and they work fine. The blinkers however start out normal then start blinking fast. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what if anything you have done to fix it?

#16 ·
I am pretty sure it's a load issue. I am pretty sure a resistor is required. I'm not sure what size though.

Me....

#19 ·
Me too, no resistors on the inside.

Me....

#21 ·
I took the festoon out of my dome in the 4th gen and put it in u dads 3rd gen and it flickered so I'm betting it's a majority of a 3rd gen thing too

#25 ·
Well I installed my led's and tried the resistors and I had a few problems. For my cargo bulbs they are always on no matter what. I tried to solder a resistor to them and then they wouldn't fit in the slot enough to hold them in, and even with the resistor in I still had that glow (when I held bulb in pace). Anyone have any ideas? The truck is a 3rd gen 2003

#28 ·
Oh and as far as cargo or other switched lights not sure what kind you guys are using but I have never needed a resistor on and interior or marker lights. Mine are all 194 style bulbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.