DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Quad and Fog HID Install Tutorial

42K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  thunderace31 
#1 ·
I know woodmw has posted a tutorial on how to install DDM HID lights for dual headlamps. But I have yet to see anyone do one for quad lamps or fogs. So while installing mine, a few weeks ago, I took pictures and notes. I will try to give good detail description on how to do it for quads and fogs. I used woodmw post for help but there were some differences.
Note these are DDM 55W 5000K lights. I purchased the full size raptor ballasts along with the relay harness for the highs and lows. I also purchased the mounting bracket. I recommend the mounting bracket. The bulbs to purchase are H10, 9005, and H11.
Now to the instructions.
1. Remove the radiator cover. To do this pop the plastic tabs out. I used a pair of small needle nose pliers for this.
Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Auto part

2. Remove the bolts holding the grille on and remove the grille. The bolt heads are size 10mm. A nice ratchet and socket should work for this. The grille has two snaps at the bottom corners. To remove the bottom, pull straight out on the corners. The snaps are a tight fit so it is a little difficult.
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Automotive lighting Headlamp

3. Remove the headlight assembly. To do this there are two bolts up front, one on top and one on bottom (10mm). There is also one in the back. To remove this on you will have to remove the cover inside the wheel well (a plastic tab holds the cover in place). Behind the cover is a bolt (10mm and extension is needed). Also behind the cover is a white plastic lever (push straight up on this to release the headlight). After all of that is done, pull the headlight straight out or push from the fender well side.
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Engine Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior

4. This is where it starts getting a little different from dual lights. On the back of the headlight assembly is two twist lock covers. Behind those covers are the bulbs and plugs. Note that the top light is your low beam and the bottom is your high beam. After removing the twist lock cover, a 1” hole will need to be drilled in it to accommodate for the new wire coming through.
Auto part Engine Carburetor Automotive engine part Electrical wiring
Auto part Hand Automotive wheel system Wheel Rim

5. Remove the old bulb and install the new one. Just like woodmw, I did not like the way the bulb fit in the housing with the o’ring that came with the bulb. I used the old o’ring off the old bulb to make a tighter fit.
A: The low beams (H11 bulbs) did not come with the connector on the wiring. Instead it came with two spades. This is normal according to DDM. (Bad design IMHO) Plug the spades into the connector on the truck for the original bulb. Make sure red positive goes to white/blue wire and the black negative goes to the black/blue wire. I recommend using electrical tape to hold these in place. Run the other wires through the hole you just drilled on the twist lock. I put RTV silicone around the rubber grommet of the new wires for peace of mind.
Auto part Electrical wiring Technology Carburetor Engine
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Auto part

B: The high beams were a little easier. The connectors are straight plug and play. For grins and giggles I put electrical tape around these also. Same thing as for the lows, run the other wires through the hole you just drilled on the twist lock.
Electrical wiring Wire Technology Computer cooling Electrical supply
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Engine Auto part

6. Mount the ballasts and relay harness.
A: On the passenger’s side there is a plastic cover that runs from the top to the bottom. I found this to be the best place to mount the ballasts (one above the other). The relays I just zip tied to an existing wire loom.
Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Hood

B: On the driver’s side there is a rubber piece up top. This is wide enough to mount the ballasts right next to each other (side by side). Or you can mount them sideways on top of each other. The relays were also zip tied to the fuse box.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car

7. Run the wire and plug everything up.
A: On the passenger’s side run the wire through the intake hole. Or drill a hole right next to it and run the wire through the drilled hole. To pop the intake tube off reach inside the air intake box and push the tabs in and pull the tube out. While pushing the headlight assembly in run the wiring through the hole of your choice. After running the wire through, plug everything up. And reinstall the intake tube.
Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Bumper

B: On the driver’s side there is a hole right next to the fuse box. Same as the passenger’s side push the headlight in and pull the wire through. After getting the wire through plug everything up. I taped all connections up just for peace of mind.
8. Check everything before bolting it all back up. You will have to start the truck to check the highs and lows. I had forgotten to plug the high side up on the driver’s side.
Now the for the Fog Lights. These are VERY EASY.
1. Crawl under the truck and remove the blubs and put the new ones in. No need to remove the assembly
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Automotive fuel system Fuel line

2. Mount the ballasts.
A. On the passenger’s side I just mounted it on the same plastic piece as the other ballasts.
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Technology Electrical supply

B. On the driver’s side I mounted the ballast to the bolt that is holding the fog light assembly in place.

3. Now just plug everything up.
Good Luck and enjoy being able to see at night:smileup:

See less See more
#29 ·
@OP or anyone.. do you have any pics of installs with the Hi Beams on? my question is are the hi's the DRL's? and would like to know what that looks like for daytime driving..

Thanks in advance!

#33 ·
i just installed my lows and 40A relay harness and my light come on in all settings when the truck is off my when the truck is running and i turn them on the relay buzzes real loud and the passenger side light will not come on lit it has no voltage any idea whats wrong ?? "2010 dodge ram 1500"

#35 ·
Just did mine the other day and here is what i can add to this thread.
Got all my stuff from DDM. (Used them in the past and liked them) They don't even come from them anymore though. They were drop shipped right from China. The ballast aren't even stamped DDM like their old ones. The mounting brackets are a joke too. Don't waste your money. The screws that come with the brackets pull right through the hole in the ballast. The ballasts have 3 mounting tabs on them so just use those. The bulbs now have the correct plug on them to plug into the existing wiring inside the headlamp now. I was pleased to see that after seeing others in this thread had to just plug the wires into the factory connector and wrap it with tape. I bought the cancelers from them and everything works great. I bought cancelers for the fogs too but didn't even use them after reading on here that I wouldn't need them. They work just fine with out them. Oh and last thing to add. I didn't need to pull my grill either. I used the long extension and it worked fine. When installing that bolt I found there was a large enough opening on top to reach down and hold the bolt to start it. (This could be on the HD truck only, not sure)

#36 ·
i installed GP Thunder HID lights on my low beam, and fog lights
i had to use the capacitor to stop flickering. and i pull everything in the housing, didnt need to drill a hole on the cap., so it still has all the seal just like factory. i was worried about if the ballast gets hot. I reached the tech support and they told me no issues of getting hot.

#39 ·
First, you do not need to remove the bolt that is inside the wheel well area, just have to remove the front 2 bolts on the light, and then push the tab up inside the fender flap to get the headlight out. Second, I currently have a VVME 55 Watt kit in my Fog lights and they are badass. I have always had good experiences with VVME and there HID kits.
I plan to do my High and Lo beams as well, however I am not sure How my high beam one will work as I am in Canada and that uses the same bulb for the daytime running lights... So does that mean during the day my HID high beams would be on??

#41 ·
okay opinions needed,
So lets say I go ahead with protuninglab spyder headlights with the anti flickering relay and error code eliminator, and get them to toss 35w 6000k hids behind those crappy existing projectors.
Once i get them, bake them, crack those bad boys open peal out the crappy halos and upgrade the halos.
last but not least fog lights! 35w 5000k xenon hids.
Questions.. is it worth protuninglab retrofit the headlights to better hids, or should i order another set from xenon? any suggestions on replacing the halos? I hear you can get brighter with a good led halo.. For the fog lights, i shouldn't need the code cancelling thing correct??
Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.