DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Gas mileage on 5.7 hemi crew, hows your do??

45K views 51 replies 37 participants last post by  Riskwriter101 
#1 ·
Had my truck 3 months now and done 1800 miles and to be fair i find it no better on gas than my 05 Daytona quad cab with 5.7 Hemi that i just sold, i even went from Naples to Orlando today around 240 miles hwy, no traffic, good road conditions and did 18 mpg, i got 17.5 out of my old truck on the same run i do 4 or 5 times a year, around town i get around 12.5 mpg, again no better than my old 05 truck, is it just me or has anyone else found similar??

#14 ·
This is about what I average too.
I have an app on my iPhone that calculates all this for me.
I enter in my mileage, miles (km's) driven and cost per liter (gallon). Last one not being that relevant

Here are the numbers over the past 3 months
Worst - 13.64 mpg
Best - 16.75 mpg
Avg - 15.43 mpg

In liters (for us Canadians)
Worst - 17.24 L/100
Best - 14.05 L/100
Avg - 15.24 L/100

#6 ·
18-19mpg is all I get with a 3.55 crew cab 4x4 in real world 75-80mph highway driving. I'm sure if you were in Kansas or something will all flat roads and drive at 60mph you could probably get 22mpg.

My old 2010 and 2012 get exactly the same mileage, here to Orlanda three times a year (660 miles) - 18.6mpg average hand calculated.

#49 ·
Pick on another State LOL

3 hour drive in Kansas last weekend 75-80 mph netted 14.8 avg. Got a 2013 Sport crew hemi 4x4

18-19mpg is all I get with a 3.55 crew cab 4x4 in real world 75-80mph highway driving. I'm sure if you were in Kansas or something will all flat roads and drive at 60mph you could probably get 22mpg.

My old 2010 and 2012 get exactly the same mileage, here to Orlanda three times a year (660 miles) - 18.6mpg average hand calculated.

#7 ·
Just finished a 4000 mile trip and over all averaged around 18 with 1600lbs of stuff in the bed up and down mountains and dirt/gravel roads... Now that I'm up here in Alaska I've been getting around 16 on base with a 15 and 25mph speed limit and lots of stops... I generally averaged around 20-21 after I installed my AFE CAI on the highway, which I did a few days into the 11-day drive in a friend's driveway in Montana. Before that it was around 18-19 on mostly flat roads, so the CAI did help the mileage there and probably saved me a good deal bit of money going through Canada for 6 or 7 days where gas was above $6 a gallon! I used to get around 14 in town and now I'm getting around 15 in town, but I'm VERY easy on the throttle 95% of the time so I don't have to dump my entire paycheck into my gas tank, but every now and then I just need to hear that Hemi ROAR! :)

#12 ·
I can get around 14.5 city on my, but I have to drive like a grandma. The truth is I enjoy my RAM so I average around 13 city, but it is killing me. I also hope for gas price to get lower.

#23 ·
Thats what I get in the city driving normally, If I drive with mileage in mind I can get 12mpg city if I really try.

I love these trucks but they are not good on gas, no 1/2 tons are (especially 4x4s), I even had a 2011 Ecoboost for a couple days and the mileage wasnt much better. Owned plenty of 5.3/6.0 GM pickups as well.

#20 ·
I do drive like a grandma most of the time in the truck and here is south west Florida the roads are very flat, when i bought the truck i had the 3.21 rear diff option, so i was hoping on this first 3hr drive that i would see around 20mpg, but it never happened 18mpg was my best, which was similar to my old 05 Daytona, Gas was not my first concern when buying the truck and i do like it, it just figured it would be a nice bonus to get a bit better MPG than my old truck, as it is now, i am still waiting for my bonus lol.

#21 ·
Great mileage for a truck

I have the hemi in a crew cab, the best I have got is 25 mpg (9.3 l/100km), on the highway I average about 22 mpg (10.3 l/100km), in town 17mpg (12l/100km). All numbers from the computer, not hand calculated. I really do drive like a granny, speed limit on the highway (100 km or 60 mph), coast to red lights and accerating slowly (I try to keep the tach under 2000 rpm).

#22 ·
i get around 11l/100km on the highway and 14l/100 km in city... thats taking my time.... i found that the cold air intake really helped

#25 ·
Seeing how I had the same optioned 2010 and 2012 and they get the exact same mileage my guess its not the trucks and its the drivers/conditions. My normal driving may seem aggressive to some and wimpy to others. Plus where I live there are a lot of hills/mountains, different ethanol quantity, winter/summer blends, payload etc.

Not to mention someone someone who pays 6.00 a gallon for gas is going to be a lot more mileage-aware than someone paying 3.00 a gallon.

To be honest, as much as I like the hemi power, my wife's AWD Grand Cherokee with the new 3.6 gets FIVE mpg better average than her old Hemi powered Commander. Sure its no hemi but its not bad either, I bet combined with an eight speed the 3.6 wont be a bad option in 2013 if you arent towing or hauling a lot of weight.

#26 ·
I average 15-16.5 city/highway mix; 18-21mpg all highway at 70mph. I have the 4x4 Crew with the 3.55LSD and when towing my 3000lb bass boat I average 13-14mpg. I also didn't buy my Ram Hemi for the economy BUT! It is nice to see the fuel needle move to the left so much slower than my old 99 Magnum 5.9! I switch between mid grade and supreme on a normal basis depending on the depth of my wallet. :smileup:

#27 ·
I drive weekly from south texas to west texas, with the cruise on going 70mph I average 20-23. When driving 75 like the new highway speed limits down here it drops to 17-19. But i get the same in the city around 12-13.

Does anyone have a leveling kit or 33" tires? If so how much did it drop you mpg?

#30 · (Edited)
Since June 1, everybody is putting Summer Blend gasoline in their vehicles, it has less Butane in it & won't go bad as quickly
You should be getting better MPGs then you were 45 days ago

I don't use Drive in town/city driving
I do use Cruise Control as much as possible
i have 1,000 extra pounds of weight in the bed, along with suit cases & tools in the cab
I have 65,000 miles on the odometer
i get 17.4 on the highway, according to the EVIC, until i put my lights on, my sign up, & flags on, then it is like i have air brakes on

Gas is now $3.95 per gallon of Mid Grade in Southern California, when i cross into Arizona, it is .30 cents cheaper a gallon
Some days i put more then $100 USD in the tank & do it again the following day

#31 ·
I have 6800 miles on my 2012 4x4 3.92 quad cab. Before and after 2.5'' lift average 11 city / maaaaybe 17 on Arkansas interstates. I drive fairly hard in the city do to the epidemic of slow ignorant drivers. Cruise control 75 on the hwy. Impressed with the power but gas mileage is a little low. I wanna pull the 19 it says it will get

#32 ·
New England mileage

Ive had my truck for 2.5 months and have put 4000 miles on it. I have a magnaflow catback dual exhaust and an Air Raid CAI. I drive 80 miles to work and back on Connecticut highways which really sucks because our highway system is so small and congested. I get to use the cruise just a bit in the early mornings but forthe most part I take it easy (under 75). I hit 20mpg according to the computer. I reset in my driveway and see what it says when I park at work. Although I didn't buy my RAM for commuting efficiently I think it's great to get that kind of mileage and still have that power under my foot when I want it.:smiley_thumbs_up:

#33 ·
Ive had my truck for 2.5 months and have put 4000 miles on it. I have a magnaflow catback dual exhaust and an Air Raid CAI. I drive 80 miles to work and back on Connecticut highways which really sucks because our highway system is so small and congested. I get to use the cruise just a bit in the early mornings but forthe most part I take it easy (under 75). I hit 20mpg according to the computer. I reset in my driveway and see what it says when I park at work. Although I didn't buy my RAM for commuting efficiently I think it's great to get that kind of mileage and still have that power under my foot when I want it.:smiley_thumbs_up:
Not sure how you guys are achieving this?
I have a CC also with CAI and catback.
What you explain seems like my drive daily. But I do no get that.
Wish I did :4-dontknow:

But as you said, it was not purchased to be like a Prius. Lol
But man, there is such a variance here.

#35 ·
2003 mpg

I have had my 2003 Quad cab 4x4 a month. It is all stock. The best I have gotten is 14.5. That was on a recent 150 mile trip. I use the cruise control all I can and try to keep my foot off the floor area. I was thinking that I am happy with that but I see some better numbers here. I also note that the numbers are mostly from newer trucks. Is this bad mpg from this truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.