DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow tru-x dual exhaust:(

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Ok I have an 09 crew cab hemi and the ruck had S&B intake, Diablo Tuner, and larger TB. It ran really nice. Last thing to get was the exhaust. I went with an 18in Magnaflow Tru-X dual exhaust setup. At first the sound was really nice and I think that made me feel like it was better. But after driving it for a while now, it seems less peppy. If i held it in 1st, it use to break the tires loose. Now it doesnt. Do you think the exhaust is too free flowing? I left the resonators on and everything. Any input???

#3 ·
wanna say 2.5 on both in / and 2.5 on both out. I just removed the clear plastic lid on the S&B intake and my adverage MPG jumped from 17.5 to 21 (highway....just got on and drove 30miles to a friends house). it also seems more peppy again. Could the S&B cold air intake be bottle necking the motor??

#5 ·
ok, I just saw the intake online...to me it's still a little restrictive and I wish they would have made the tube larger...

#7 ·
I'm no pro and I hope I don't get attacked to much on this... When I was doing research for a CAI, I read a lot of info about the dry filters. Those dry "paper" filters are more restrictive due to their additional density over oiled filters. The oiled filters have layers of the filter material that lay like stacking spiders webs on top of each other, allowing debris to get caught in the top layer(s,) but not clogging them. When that paper filter gets debris caught on its top layer, that channel is clogged and does not allow any flow through. I probably could have paraphrased that better, but the meat of the argument is paper's density and debris trapping characteristics. Try ordering a new oiled or a synthetic dry cone for your S&B. Search S&B intake on here, because someone has talked about going with a 3rd party cone filter for theirs.

#10 ·
new plugs would prob. help a lot. Just replace them with the NGK listed in the owner's manual. Nothing fancy unless you have the dough to burn. As far as your throttle position, I do not know. Something is not right.

#13 ·
i have recently looked into when the plugs need to be replaced and it is recommended at 35k, which seems low. Especially since most newer cars are at least 100k. From what I read it has to do with the type of plugs (non-platinum) because of the ignition system. I would look into that.

#14 ·
Ok I have an 09 crew cab hemi and the ruck had S&B intake, Diablo Tuner, and larger TB. It ran really nice. Last thing to get was the exhaust. I went with an 18in Magnaflow Tru-X dual exhaust setup. At first the sound was really nice and I think that made me feel like it was better.
One thing...if it ran well then not so much now either you got used to the additional power OR the adaptives have trimmed the timing and AFR a bit to make up for it...could pull a fuse (it's #2 on Challengers) and reset the adaptive stuff on the computer.

I have the 18" Magnaflow and a Y pipe...I am considering a swap to the dual in/dual out 14 or 18 with the internal X pipe like you have...does this model sound any different? Perform better?

#15 ·
I only know of one or two guys on here that have that setup. One guy swore he lost power, but later said it seemed to come back. This is a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Spend that money on some long tube headers if you want to get the most of your mods.LT Headers are dyno proven to add 40 hp rougly with a broader powerband and sound orgasmic. ALL the fastest trucks on here run LT headers. All high end muscle car builds use L/T headers if they can make them fit. Shorties are not worth the money or effort on our trucks. 9hp tuned roughly..

#16 ·
the computers are adaptive, so to take advantage of the new flow you should reset the pcm and drive it hard/aggressively for a week..pcm will learn quickly how much better the flow is and adjust the fuel tables according to take advantage of it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.