DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Which tuner is the best?!

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Mathis1990 
#1 ·
Ok guys need some help. Got in the diablosport intune i1000 today and it was the wrong one. While I should be getting a refund I am now tuner-less. I have done some looking and am thinking of getting the bullydog gt for Hemi plus. I can find them for only about $75 more than I spent on the diablosport tuner and the gains are almost double. Please let me know what you think or of any other tuners that might help me out!!

#3 ·
I looked at those and the gains are the exact same as the i1000-DCX. That's why I purchased it but was sent the wrong one. Once I did some more research I found that the bully dog has the best gain all round. And the research I did on the diablosport line up the more issues I saw. Just not too sure about them anymore....

#7 ·
If you need custom tuning or might need custom tuning down the road either the intune-dcx or the trinity t1000 from diablo sport is the best choice. If you do not need custom tuning or need any fancy gauges to look at while driving I would get the SuperChips 3842 (if you live in California the part number is 3841). If you do need or want the gauges then I would get the Bully Dog 40430.

If you need pricing on any of these items shoot us an email to sales@bullysperformance.com we have the lowest prices around on all of them, just remember to put in the email you are a member of the Z and you will get our best discounts.

Thanks

#8 ·
We'll the diablo is on its way back for a refund. Sent the wrong one so it wouldn't work and the guy I ordered from did t have any more dcx's. So I kinda took a plunge and bought the bully dog off eBay. If it's right then I'll post up my opinion on it. I have used bully's on Chevys and was never to crazy but rams are a whole different deal. Lots of my buddies swear by bully dog. I guess I'll know soon enough.

#9 ·
We'll I got the bully dog in today and got it installed. Took me a while to find the right fuse to get it to turn off with the key but got it in the end. I put on the regular tune and adjusted some shift points and the difference was noticeable. Mostly throttle response, but the mileage gains and power was there too. Once I run my gas down and can fill up with some 91 octane I will do the performance tune. So far I'm very happy. I got a great deal on the tuner @ $350 delivered and the install was easy. Had to call tech to get it to do the latest update but that was quick and easy too. Customer service was awesome. Only took around 2 hours from start to finish (that's to update, install the tune and wire into the fuse box). As far as ease of use I would absolutely recommend this to anyone. As long as you can plug and push buttons then you can do this. Even hiding the cables was easy. Although I am going to go ahead and get the pillar mount. Just to clean it up. Overall: one very pleased customer.

#10 ·
I have the hemi plus for my ram. I have the 4.7 not the hemi, and it is a great little tuner! My buddy has an all stock 2011 with a hemi, I have the bullydog, cold air, and Magnaflow exhaust, I'm also running 35's and we took off from the line, he won the 0-60, we did a rolling start at 25 mph and I actually smoked him to 100 mph. Throw in on top of that you can tune your rev limits and speed limiters and all that fun stuff, I would highly recommend it to anyone. Very happy with the gains.

#15 ·
Ok had the tuner for about two weeks now and here's my opinion.

I bought this new off a guy who got it then sold the truck shortly after never installing it.

I put the regular tune on it and was amazed by the difference it made in throttle response. The performance test said that I was running a 15.5 quarter with just the tuner and muffler swap. I ran this tune for about a week to burn all the old 87 octane fuel out of the tank. The best fuel I can get here in Oklahoma is 91 octane so I went ahead and put on the performance tune. Kinda disappointed. I went from roasting tires to nothing really. Not a loss of power. It's there. Trust me. Just not at take off. And my time went from 15.5 to 15.9. Now idk if that's cause I am still tinkering with the shift points or if it is cause I have only done a muffler swap and nothing else but it was a little shocking. I put the regular back on it today and it still doesn't want to burn them anymore. Idk I'll have to play with it more. I am very happy with it though. Word from the wise: don't put on the performance tune and expect a mileage gain. It won't happen. Like I said the power is there and your mileage will suffer from it. Now I do plan on putting on a Vararam Air Grabber and a Moes Performance 85mm throttle body. But that's it. I think once those are on my power loss issue will be solved. Also I think the gas here in Oklahoma isn't rated right and that you should run higher than the recommended octane for the tune. Like I'm running "91" for the regular I think you should run "93" or better for the performance if you have access to it. Just my 2 cents. Overall though very pleased. I have tuned and retuned at least 6 times in the past two weeks and it's such a breeze. Anyone can do it. And it only takes about ten minutes if you know what you want to set everything to. I would absolutely recommend this for some one who want a tune with the ability to change shift points and rev limiters with out the fine tuning things that the diablo offers, that just the everyday driver looking for more power won't use.

#16 ·
Figured I should update this now since it's been about two months in. Biggest news is the tuner is up for sale!!! After the latest update it started making the motor ping. Which we all know is indicative of pre-ignition or pre-spark. Both are very bad on a motor and what makes this worse is that I was running 91 octane ethanol free gas on their regular(moderate) tune!! Didn't even change the shift points!! Turned off the MDS system and raised the speed limiter and that's it. Not happy. Especially after I went ahead and did the pillar mount and everything. As I said before the problem never started until bully dog released the newest update for it. I think it's 3.1.5.0. Once I did that my excitement and enjoyment that initially came from this product very quickly turned to me begin terrified to even try to run the truck. As I said its up for sale. I have even been on the phone with bully dog and they took over my computer and switched out some file that fixed the problem for a day the it started again. Four times!!! Sorry bully dog but this guy is done with it!!

#18 ·
Like I said I am completely unsatisfied with it at this point. I'm done messing with it and calling the help line. I'm just gonna sell it and take the money and put on the Vararam Air Grabber and be done messing with it. Maybe I'll try another brand at some point. I think that if they had sent me the right Diablosport tuner the first time that I would have been happy with that and the ability to change my settings so that this problem could be resolved on my end without so much frustration. But since I got the wrong one the first time and this one is giving me hell since the update I think I'm just done with them for a little bit. If you know of another one I could try please share for the future and those others that have read this and want more info on it!! As far as myself though I'm gonna take a break lol. Too much stress for this guy!!!

#19 · (Edited)
My t1000 came in the mail this weekend. Was a bit of a fight to update with widows 8, and Diablo's customer support isn't open on weekends, but I was done installing it in about two hours. I messed around with it the rest of the day lol. My 0-60 was 6.54, what is everyone else getting?

Edit:
Also how do the custom tunes do as far as 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

#20 ·
I think my 0-60 was around that. Maybe a little slower but not too bad. The fastest quarter I did 15.9 I believe. And that was one time right after I got it. After that I never could clear 16's again. That Ping was just too scary for me!! I'd rather not shoot a piston out of a brand new truck. My truck is 3 years old with less than 40,000 there's no reason it should make those noises. And I know it was the tuner because when i would pull the tune off it wouldn't do it anymore.

#21 · (Edited)
My bad guys 0-60 was 6.94 NOT 6.54 Sorry for the typo...I haven't heard any bad noises as of yet on the 87 octane tune with a tank of 87 gas, but only have about 75kms on the programer around town...Mathis did your truck begin to make bad noises right away after install? or did it take some time? also I unhooked my battery positive battery cable for awhile before the install so my computer can "re-learn" or whatever, you might wanna try that. Last summer I bought a big fifth wheel and my trans didn't like pulling it so I re-set the computer with the cable trick and my truck shifted much smoother and would search for gears less while towing.
Does anyone have any experiences to share about towing while on a performance tune?

#22 ·
I didn't disconnect the cable. As for the noises, they started after the latest update to the programmer. Until I did that update it was amazing. After , that's a whole different story. At any rate I've already unmarried it and have posted it up for sale. Done foolin with it at this point.

#25 ·
Oh yeah? How do you like it? I sold the truck to my dad and took over his 3/4 Chevy. Kinda regret it too. Worked good on my buddy's '12. He would have bought it if he didn't already have a Diablosport for his. Bully Dog said that I might need to have my trucks PCM updated but I didn't want to go to all that trouble.

#26 · (Edited)
i just got it today, actually just finished installing it. IT looks brand new. i put the tunner on high octane but i just did some reading and i think ima go back and put it on the regular. its raining right now so ima wait till tomorrow to drive it.

Which Fuse did you end up going with? cause i was having trouble with that also.

going give u a 5 star on ebay now.:smileup:

#27 ·
I used the fuel pump fuse it's at the very front of the box on mine and I knew it wouldn't work without a key. Hope you like it! I would definitely run the highest octane gas you can and no ethanol. That makes a huge difference. What other mods are you gonna run with it? I just installed my Vararam Air Grabber today, I also have a thrush muffler. Thinking about some ARH Long Tube Headers, full new exhaust system, 85mm throttle body from moe's, Diablosport tuner with Hemi fever tune, and a new torque converter.

By the way if you ever need anything for your truck call Matt at moes. He is awesome. He will tell you what order you should do you mods and seemed to really know his stuff about his products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.