DODGE RAM FORUM banner

which exhaust?

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  RNTbone 
#1 ·
I'm fixing to purchase an exhaust. I know it's mainly about sound preferences than anything else but is there one I should stay away from or one that provides more performance over another? This will be my first time to do any type of exhaust on a vehicle and I'm clueless. I was leaning towards flowmaster Outlaw or American thunder, but I just watched a few clips of the MBRP cat-back system and thought it sounded really well. Anyone else use or have any experience with these? I like magnaflow sound but none of the ones I found had a split side-rear exit. I don't have the bumper with exhaust cut outs so would a rear exit look funny sitting under the bumber without them? Most of the exhaust clips are all starting to sound the same.

#2 ·
I started out with a magnaflow 22" on my 4.7 and immediately did not like it, I wanted something throaty and the magnaflow was very tame. Switched it out for the American thunder flowmaster catback. I eventually added a dual bumper and had a local shop move the pipes and I put some 3.5" tips I had sitting in the garage from an old mustang. One grip with the FM exhaust is the tiny 2.5" tips! My 3.5" tips are too small as I is!

Here is my truck

http://youtu.be/EufYruQLKEU

#3 ·
sounds very good. think I've seen that clip during my "research". have you heard an outlaw next to yours? much difference? I don't want to be obnoxious but I was a good low rumble. the American thunder is where I've been leaning but after hearing the MBRP, I am torn.

#7 ·
well, scratch that. Thought they made it for the 4.7 but only the Hemi... hate having the v8 ram stepchild. I think I'm going to go with this instead if people who have owned similar can give me some feedback. It's the 14" 3" downpipe SI/SO system. Will this be obnoxiously loud or have too much cabin noise? It's either this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=4589
or the 18" dual-same side exit that should have a little less rumble/cabin noise but still have a nice, aggressive tone.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=all&id=4585

opinions?

#8 ·
The 4.7 and Hemi exhausts interchange after the mid pipe.
If it fits a Hemi truck,it fits your 4.7 truck
I ran a Magnaflow under bumper kit for awhile,actually looked not bad with the 3.5" tips
On a 4.7 i doubt you'll notice any differance power wise between a straight through versus a chambered design muffler,not enough exhaust flow from a 4.7

#9 ·
I had a 2007 with the 4.7. I had a single in/ dual out single chamber flowmaster with tips split under the bumper. Man did that thing sound mean! I loved it. People could always tell when I drove by because of the unique rumble. 4.7's are slower than a turtle in a snowstorm... but they can sound pretty awesome. I currently run a true dual set up with 2 single chambers... so I'm all about that design.... plus they are so compact and lite.

#10 ·
why is it that so many companies have some for 4.7, some for 5.7, and some for both if interchangeable? designed to perform optimally with the pressures? difference in round or oval muffler? Are there any advantages to a cat-back system over a muffler/shop install if I plan on dumping it before the rear axel? better to run it at least to a side front of rear tire exit? also plan on getting a magnaflow y-pipe while I'm at it. Should I go for si./s.o. or s.i./d.o. muffler? If I go d.o, should I go 2.5" instead of 3"? I really am a noob when it comes to this stuff. .

#11 ·
dumping exhaust is LOUDDDD! cab drone and turning your truck off at the drive thru all the time will make you crazy. when I bought my 4.7 it already had a dumped d.o flowmaster 44 series. loved it... for 5mins. 2.5" pipe is perfect unless you plan on turbo or s/c. exit location is pure preference. and there wont be hardly any difference between a s.i/s.o and a s.i/d.o setup. once again comes down to sound/visual preference. advantage to muffler shop doing the work is that you don't have to climb under the truck.. and if there is an issue such as a hanger breaking later down the road they should fix no charge. (I would hope) at least from my exp.

#12 ·
Your truck should already have all the hangers in place to run factory duals.
A single in/single out 3" is easiest to run,and would probably work satisfactorily,but if you want duals,pretty well any kit listed for the Hemi will fit your truck including the factory set-up,if you scrounge up the dual exhaust bumper.
Usually the only reason the kits aren't listed as fitting the 4.7,is the rear bumper,no 4.7 ever had the dual exhaust bumper

#15 ·
I saw some on ebay for a fraction of OEM. Was thinking about one of those. Also thought about calling around to local wrecking yards. maybe they ran into something head on... lol. last ditch was just going up to the dodge dealership and seeing if there was a used truck that happened to have the bumper but maybe changed exhaust styles. doubtful... Sport would have a colored bumper and then I would need to get the front as well, wouldn't I? also just wondering if I should just get the muffler, new tip, and y-pipe and save multiple hundreds of dollars. ideally, I would get the exhaust-cut bumper and rear-exit exhaust system.

#16 ·
That's the way i'd go if i was doing it again,a decent muffler and keep the orginal stock pipe.
A single 3" pipe is plenty large enough for a 4.7
On the Y-pipe,i haven't done that to mine,so don't have any info to pass on.
Sorry i didn't realize you had the chrome bumpers,i've never looked into the aftermarket for chrome versions,just unpainted Sport style bumpers

#17 ·
That's the way i'd go if i was doing it again,a decent muffler and keep the orginal stock pipe.
A single 3" pipe is plenty large enough for a 4.7
On the Y-pipe,i haven't done that to mine,so don't have any info to pass on.
That is what I did. Factory pipes 2-into-1 3" single, Flowmaster Ypipe, Magnaflow 12279 (3" I/O), and a custom exhaust resonator to kill the cabin drone at 1900 rpm. The factory Y crushes down where the welds are, and the factory muffler (on my truck) was only a 2.5" I/O with the exhaust pipes crimped down to fit. Hard to believe.
Duals on a 4.7L shouldn't be bigger than 2.25" or you'll lose exhaust gas velocity...and hp.
I chose a Magnaflow after looking at muffler airflow figures on the Internet. Also ran a 3" AeroStealth 170 for a little while; the Magnaflow is more wife friendly. :hah:
I also ran straight pipe, with just the cats and the over axle resonator for about a week. Was so loud in the cab on the highway I couldn't hear myself think. Sounded great when I started the engine though...

#18 ·
I think I'll get the magnaflow muffler and flowmaster Y-pipe and see how loud it is after install. Haven't decided on the 14" or 18" yet. Not sure how loud either one of them is. Hard to tell by youtube videos. also, I don't know if I'm just going to replace muffler or have it be dumped before rear axel. so many choices and completely no idea... lol. also plan on doing the replacement K&N air filter and airaid throttle body.

#20 ·
I'm looking at 14inch magnaflow muffler si/do and run each of those out the side in front of rear tires. Right now I run straight pipe dumped before rear axle and its not what I want. MDS sounds horrible and pretty good drone at 70mph with 3.92 gears.. gotta quiet the hemi down. Anyone else do this type of set up?

#22 ·
You won't see much gain from a ported throttle body.
If money is no object go for it,but if moneys tight,it'd be a tough call.
As long as you're not expecting huge gains from a ported throttle body,you won't be disappointed.
You can knife edge your stock throttle body blade,and probably gain almost as much as a high dollar ported throttle body.
I know of a few guys with ported throttle bodies that were disappointed in them.
They expected huge performance gains.
Gotta admit,i wasn't overly impressed with my $400.00 ported throttle body from Matt at Moe's,wasn't any noticable improvement over my stock knife edged throttle body,that didn't cost me anything but a couple hours of time.
It also gave me a bad lean surge till i had it dyno tuned and we re-mapped the A/F ratio's

#23 ·
might not go throttle body unless I can find someone to make some headers too. I'll need to do a little more research on knife-edging throttle bodies. heard it talked about but don't know exactly what it is or how it's done. Just find it ridonkulous that with 6-7 years of 2ng gen 4.7's, that there isn't SOMEONE willing to corner the market. still haven't tried to call anyone yet to try and find an exact number would be needed to make a small run. Maybe there's performance/quality issues that haven't been discussed with changing them? idk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.