DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Muffler Drip Hole

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I recently noticed fluid dripping from the back end of my truck. I took my truck to the dealership (still under warranty) as I thought it was the rear diff, but they said there was no leak. The service tech said the dripping could be coming from the drip hole in my muffler. When I got the truck home I looked under it and saw water dripping from around the muffler. When I went to work this morning there was a decent sized puddle of dirty fluid under the muffler. This seemed like a large puddle to me and the fluid looked very dirty - almost black.

See attached pictures.

Has anyone experienced this before and is it normal? Or is there something wrong with my muffler?

Attachments

#2 · (Edited)
water dripping is pretty normal. the catalysts job is to convert monoxides into water. these days there's enough condensation (moreso on on cold days) that they need weep holes.

she's a little sooty - looks like there's some miles on the truck, or it's been idling for some time.

if you're really concerned about the soot, you could do a top end clean and make sure you're plugs and wires and filter are in good shape. my 06 gmc started to get really sooty in the winter, but there was a valve seal issue there on startup.

#4 ·
It's normal, you see it more so in winter as stated above from condensation. My wife makes short trips in her Equinox, sometimes it looks like there is hose hooked up to muffler. Thank goodness for stainless steel!

#5 ·
^what they all said. Nothing wrong.

My wife makes short trips in her Equinox, sometimes it looks like there is hose hooked up to muffler. Thank goodness for stainless steel!
I do a yearly trip on the buell and last year the one night I did several very short trips on the bike then let it sit overnight. When I fired it up the next day I swear a gallon of water blew out the muffler lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.