DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4.7L exhaust?

12K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  panamakid9 
#1 ·
Has anyone done exhaust work for the 4.7l and also what did you use?

#2 ·
I will be doing an upgrade soon so I will be following this close.. I am looking at the dual setup from flow master but that come out the back at 45Degree angles not straight out.

#8 ·
I've got a Magnaflow 1 in 2 out on my 4.7. I had a flow master on my 97 5.2 and it was aggressive but the muffler rusted and sounded "cheap" to me. The magnaflow is nice and deep and can hear from a goo ways away. it hasn't had any problems and i get comments on it all the time, couldn't be happier! :smileup:

#14 ·
best of these for performance?

These are all good info. I'm looking to do the same and drop the stock muffler for performance and sound. Of the two performance/flow is more important than sound. I'm hoping I can squeeze out one more mpg :) I've already got a CAI. Which of the mufflers listed so far or otherwise would be best for me?

#19 ·
It's really not so much that I'm cheap, It was more the hassle of dealing with autozone and my wife asking why I had to go to the parts store if I was just "looking at the exhaust".... :LOL:

After driving it for a couple of days, it might be a little louder than I want. I'm hoping just running the tailpipe to the outside of the truck mellows it down. You can see in the pics, it dumps pretty much right at the frame rail, so I might be getting a little more sound back into the cab than I would like.

#20 ·
Buying decent quality Torque Tite clamps will lighten your wallet a good bit.
I was tempted to do the same thing as you did,but then got stupid and bought the high dollar clamps.
Only reason being my stock exhaust was still brand new,(only had the drive home from the dealer on it),so i wanted to keep the orginal exhaust as just a bolt-on for down the road,if i ever need it again.

#21 ·
I originally did my exhaust with band clamps (which were decent quality) but they just wouldn't seal worth a damn. Now I'm using ball/socket joints and clamps and they are much much better. I bought cheap ones too, summit racing brand if I remember correctly.

#22 ·
I'm looking to change the muffler on my 13 with the 4.7 but I have a question. Have any of you noticed any drop in power or performance? I was going to go with a 3" in, 2.5" dual out exhaust. Like most, I don't want any drone in the cab at cruising speeds and I don't want it super loud. I have a hot rod with dual Flow Masters for that. For those who have had this done at a muffler shop, how did they hang the muffler?

#23 ·
Good chance you'll lose some bottom end torque.
It makes it back up once you're over 4,000rpm.
If you do any towing or alot of city driving,you might notice the loss of torque abit.
I did the Magnaflow catback dual set-up on mine,and it lost a noticable amount of low down grunt.

Your truck already has the frame hangers in place for duals,so the muffler/pipes are pretty easy to hang

#24 ·
When I got my 2011 4.7 back in October, I changed the muffler within 24 hours! Stock was way to quiet. Got a Full Boar Max Flow (Magnaflow knockoff) from eBay single in dual out and ordered a mandrel builders kit and cut and welded it all myself with 18" long 45 degree 3.5" rolled edge tips and it sounds awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.