DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing Capacity

6K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  JAWS37 
#1 ·
So at the end of this month I will be moving my wife and all our furniture from Myrtle Beach to Camp Lejeune NC. Its around a 130 mile trip. So not to far. I'm thinking I can fit pretty much all our stuff in a 6x12 Uhaul trailer. But I'm just curious about the towing capacity of my ram. Its an 05' Quad cab. Hemi. 4wd.

This is the trailer and the specs that go with it

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=RV

#2 ·
You can email Chrysler (the same way you'd ask for a build sheet) and ask what your rated to tow. I've tried using the documents floating online (bodybuilder I believe), but have run into computer issues opening it. Eventually, I just emailed them, gave my VIN and asked what my max tow rating is. Got an answer the next day.

2010 Ram 1500 SLT, CrewCab, 4WD, 5-Speed Automatic 545RFE Transmission,
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine With 3.55 Axle Ratio and 20" Wheels & Tires:

Gross Trailer Weight = 8400 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 6800 lbs
Payload = 1380 lbs
Curb Weight = 5393 lbs
GAWR Front/Rear = 3900 lbs/3900 lbs
Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 14000 lbs

The Ram Body Builder's Guide can be located on the following website: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

#4 · (Edited)
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2005sbbgl/docs/dr/mlup.pdf

just in the difference with the short box, the 3.55 & 3.92 geared differentials, there is a 1,000 pound difference

3.55 = 7,600 pound trailer
3.92 = 8,600 pound trailer

if no one has left off the metal tag during a service, you should find it on a bolt that holds the rear cover in place on the rear end
the newer Rams don't have the same tag, they now use a piece of paper that is glued to the axle housing & if you drive where it rains, the tag dissolves & that is one reason i tell owners to send for the Build Sheet

#6 ·
Double check when merging lanes, don't drive like an A-hole. Always allow space and time to stop in case of an emergency. Double check that all lights are working on the trailer, if it has brakes triple check that they are working before heading on your journey. Check the tire pressure of the truck and trailer before and during the journey. Do not take sharp turns. If you can plan your route ahead of time, make sure to look for the easiest cleanest route. I got stuck downtown in my city with my 04 Hemi 2500 QC long box with a 30footer on a 1 way 3 (narrow) lane street at 430pm, it was hell.

Make sure the 4pin or 7 pin is connected strong, and that the ball is properly secured to trailer and the latch is fully connected with a safety pin on. Cross your chains, it is illegal here to haul and not have your chains crossed. If there is a emergency break away cable on your trailer, make sure the it is also attached to the truck.

Your truck will haul 2000 pounds like it is nothing, I have overloaded my 1500 for the fun of it with some big ass trailers before, and still hauls pretty nice. 10,000 pounds got a bit intense, but it still pulled it along somehow.

#9 ·
As Noclass said, make sure you have proper load rated tires for the driving. The tires on our work trucks we don't air down for hauling RV's, and I have never aired mine down. Airing down would be more for towing on sand. Airing down on a long haul will cause the sidewalls to flex and wear the tires excessively.

#10 ·
Hook up and forget about it.. Just be smart when your driving.. I've had 12'000lbs behind my 2012 1500 pulled pretty decent

#11 ·
Your going to pull that trailer with ease! Being its a double axle it won't put too much weight on your truck and it will turn slower while backing it up which is a good thing for someone that is new to backing a trailer.

#20 ·
If there's not much tong weight and it's on a trailer.. The truck should and will have no problem moving it but just slow down way way before u need to stop and just be smart about it..most Accidents and mistakes can be prevented with some common sense

#22 ·
Sorry to the OP we kinda went off the rails a little bit on your thread but it's still has to do with towing so maybe it will help :LOL:

#25 ·
:LOL: atleast we throw in some pics too. These trucks haul great. My work 04 2500 hauls smoother then our 08 F350 4x4 with a load for sure. With the size of the trailer and the weight of it you got back there, you will have no problem towing it. Might also be a good idea to make sure all tires of truck and trailer are torqued correctly. You never know with Uhaul sometimes :LOL:.
Having the tires on truck and trailer at proper pressure, will help with the milage a lot. Low tire pressure will cause resistance and pull. I always keep a tire pressure gauge on me. When you stop for gas or washroom break, just give a quick double check.
Maybe grab a little portable plug in air compressor from Walmart or where ever to keep in the truck for if there is a problem. Will also be handy in the future too.

#26 ·
enjoy you're trip. I have a 2010 crew cab 4x4 with hemi. I pull a 7x14 enclosed trailer that weighs about 5000lbs with my load but it does have brakes on both axles which is a bonus. pulling isn't a problem at all. the wall being pulled behind my truck(enclosed trailer) is tough on miles per gallon though...

#28 ·
I tow a 26' boat on a dual axle trailer. Make sure you have a spare tire for the trailer, check the tires for proper air pressure and that there are no cracks in the sidewalls. Don't just rely on seeing that there is tread as trailer tires wear our long before the tread wears out. I change my tires every 5 years on the trailer, check the tire manufacture date on the sidewall to see when the tire was manufactured. I have seen lots of Uhauls on the side of the road with issues related to tires or for other reasons.

Tire failure occurs often when you go too fast, tires are usually rated for 65 mph and below, speed will kill a tire real fast.

On this trip I was pushing the limit on age, I had one tire blow about 30 minutes into our trip and 2 others have radial separation failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.