DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2014 Towing Chart- Surprise, 3.55 Ecodiesel and Pentastar have similar tow ratings

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ElRushmo 
#1 ·
I was interested in seeing the payload capacity and towing numbers of individual 2014 Ram 1500 configurations because I am very interested in purchasing a crew cab Ecodiesel.

The limiting factor with the Ram 1500, especially in the 4x4 crew cab models with the Ramboxes, is the payload capacity. Looking at how I want my truck optioned I would be getting a truck with 900-1000 lbs. of payload. My Honda Accord has 900 lbs of payload capacity!

Another thing I noticed is the Ecodiesel and Pentastar in the 3.55 gears have almost identical tow ratings. To get the max 9,200 rating for the Ecodiesel you have to get the 3.92 gears, which I don't think are starting production until January.

I know there are advantages to the torque with diesel, and even though they may be rated similar, you will have an easier time towing with the diesel, but I'm not sure it's worth $4,500 more (than the Pentastar) when you get similar ratings. I don't think I would purchase the 3.55 geared Ecodiesel for this reason. Someone please talk me into it because I really want to want it.

Attachments

#3 ·
The Ecodiesel will give you much better towing performance than the 3.6 for any given axle ratio. My personal perspective is if you tow more than 4000 lbs the 3.6 is not enough engine - the Ecodiesel or Hemi are your options. Payload is where things get interesting. A crew cab with rambox leaves very little payload capacity (subtracting base weight from GVWR). If you need payload, go Pentastar. I had my mind set on crew cab rambox Ecodiesel for the combination of mileage and for towing, but when I discovered the lack of payload I had to reconsider. In the end, with the extra weight of the diesel (250lbs more than the V8) further compromising payload I decided to order a Hemi. Something to also consider - I suspect Ram is conservative on GVWR ratings compared with GM and Ford. Just look at published axle capacity ratings. Your crew cab rambox will handle a given payload better than an Accord.

#4 ·
Re: diesel payload

...The limiting factor with the Ram 1500, especially in the 4x4 crew cab models with the Ramboxes, is the payload capacity. Looking at how I want my truck optioned I would be getting a truck with 900-1000 lbs. of payload.
For me payload is a key number. Compared to the Hemi the Diesel adds 217 to 272 lbs to the base weight (depending on model) and loses 100 to 220 lbs payload. With a CC that is almost a 10% drop in payload!

#5 ·
The diesel engine is actually about the same weight as the Hemi. The added weight comes from all of the emissions related stuff that comes along with diesel engines. That includes about 60 lbs. for DEF. In all, the Ecodiesel will only weigh 100 lbs. more than the Hemi.

Earlier this year I ordered an 8 speed Hemi powered Laramie crew cab 4X4, with Ramboxes, and wheel to wheel side steps. The payload capacity for the truck was under 900 lbs. I backed out of purchasing it because I wanted a truck that my family could fit in and could tow a small travel trailer at the same time. With about 500 lbs. of tongue weight I would have only had 400 lbs. left for my whole family and any gear in the bed.

#6 ·
I bet a huge percentage of 1500 crew cabs regularly drive around over GVWR. Many of the half ton truck comparison test include a crew cab towing about 8000 lbs. Figure 10% for tongue weight plus a test driver and it's over GVWR. I know I will be over GVWR for 1000 miles every year. I'm not particularly comfortable with that but believe the 1500 can handle more than it's rated for. It will make me drive a bit more conservatively.

#9 ·
I am planning on ordering a Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel with Ramboxes. I saw that the max trailer weight is 1,000 pounds less. Does this mean that the max weight of just the trailer can be 7,200 pounds or the total of the truck and trailer. Sorry if this is a nieve question!
Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.