DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1st time in slop

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Rygi 
#1 ·
Got 6" of snow here in So. MD, the sloppy wet and heavy type. My Express did well, it's a QC, 4x4, 3.92 gears with LSD. Had cruise set on 50 in 4x4 on a road that had a medium amount of slush, thought that was slow enough but I was wrong. She got squirrelly all of the sudden. Before I could do a thing the truck had killed a little power which automatically killed the cruise control, she straightened right out. When I got to work I had some childish fun by doing some donuts in the empty parking lot. Hard to romp on it without the truck killing the power. Hitting the ESC button under the climate dials would've fixed that but I wonder if it would've kept the truck from turning off the cruise when it was needed. Don't think these tires are the greatest in these conditions but I don't expect that out of factory all season tires so it's all good. Also, raising the air suspension sure helps clearing some of the mounds of plowed snow. Looking forward to some fun with this truck I love it.

#5 ·
Deadly mistake!!!

You should never use cruise control when the roads are slippery. 4x4 or not.

Killing yourself is OK with me, but killing someone else from spinning out is not acceptable.

Have your fun in empty parking lots is a great place to play.

Greg

#9 ·
Doesn't matter the speed, if you are in slippery conditions you shouldn't be using cruise. If conditions are right, you can be totally out of control and because all 4 wheels are sliding at the same rate, the computer doesn't even know you are sliding and the cruise control will just keep putting the power to the wheels until you are in a truly unrecoverable situation.

Glad that you didn't have any problems and I am hoping you will take our advice to heart and keep full control of your truck whenever you are in slippery conditions or any type of really bad weather.

I won't use cruise in any type of weather that causes reduced visibility or that could cause slipping or that could blow large debris onto the road.

#11 ·
Again, I was wrong. The road had been plowed well and I underestimated the slickness of the road, I get it. I've gotten the point by now. The truck disabled the cruise just as it started spinning. Again, thanks.

On a side note, before the Ram I was driving manual tranny street/strip mustangs on drag radials year round, the Ram is a blessing compared to them.

#13 ·
This thread is dead. He gets it. He simply was complimenting how his ram responded to a situation he NOW knows he shouldn't of been in. I'm glad he shared this with us. Good to know our trucks respond safely when a hairy situation comes about.

Drivers Ed officially over here.

#15 ·
Glad you had fun buddy. Next time try the donut with traction off... but keep it on while your driving that way the truck can correct itself like it did.... be careful out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.