DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Black rims and tip help needed.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  primo spaghetti 
#1 ·
So I really gotta clean my truck this coming weekend badly after exams and need some advice.. I have black XD addict rims with Toyo m/t tires.. What would be good to use on them to clean them, and would wax work on the black rims?

Also I have a brown, I mean black MBRP 5" tip which does not look black at all right now. What would work good to clean it?... Just some soap, water and a good scrubbing?.

BTW.. Never thought I would end in this section of the forum, but the time has come for a good cleaning before x-mas :LOL:

#2 ·
depending on what kind of "dirt" you have on the rims, soap and water might work just fine. but if they are covered in brake dust, you might need to get a dedicated wheel cleaner and start fresh (clean the well, then prep them with a wax or sealant).

if you need a wheel cleaner, p21s is a good gentle cleaner, safe on all wheels, and then if you need a bit more bite, sonax full effect wheel cleaner is the way to go. just follow the instructions.

wax will be fine on the rims...some are better than others though based not eh heat the wheels generate. collinite 845 is a good one, and so is wheel wax. my preference though is a sealant, like rejex or opti-coat. after they are sealed, clean up with soap and water is a snap.

as for the tip, is it soot making it dirty, or just mud?

Reactions: fastNugly @ RP
#3 ·
The rims are still too new for brake dust to have started building up, I just take the truck through some stupid places and generally just power wash off the mud in a coin wash to make me able to park in driveways again.
The tip is just mud and dirt being shot up. The MBRP has sort of a flat textured feel to it, so didn't know if that would play into it too.
And thanks for advice of the products Primo, I'm gonna look into them after my exam today.

#8 ·
the best thing for the black plastic trim is quartz dlux. it will restore faded plastic trim and provide protection with one application up to a couple years.

id be careful what i put in that too though...i can't really tell what the finish is...anything you put on it might change the sheen...i would try the Dlux on it. you can also use flux on rims...so one bottle out to do the trick for everything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.