DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram Daytona

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:121
D.Rowe will become famous soon enoughD.Rowe will become famous soon enough
Default Aftermarket Steering Stabilizers..Anyone?

Any Daytona owners have any experience with this? I am preparing to have pads, rotors, and shocks done and was curious about the steering stabilizer.

Is there a make that plays well with an 05' Daytona?
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 PM

How about replacing what is already there? I think it is referred to as a steering dampener? Not sure is there is 1 or 2 but can certainly try and look under the front end to confirm. Anyone ever replace the OEM dampeners?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Doge Ram Quad cab 4x4
Rep:15
thekid0311 is on a distinguished road

Should only be one on our trucks unless you have it lifted and oversized tires. They rarely go out on rack and pinion like our trucks. On my wife's jeep it went bad but here front suspension is like a the 2500 with solid axel up front. She had the dreaded death wobble come up and just about hit a car head on before she could get stopped. Once I replace it tho it went away. I put a heavy duty non adjustable SkyJacker on the jeep and it has proven its self. I would suggest putting a heavy duty on your truck if your going to replace it because it will take out most of the steering wobble on bumps and holes. If you doing it youself I can pull up the directions on how to do it from the program we have at work that way you have the official way to it. It should take you about a half hour or less on our truck. On the jeep it took me 10 minutes from start to finish.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid0311 View Post
Should only be one on our trucks unless you have it lifted and oversized tires. They rarely go out on rack and pinion like our trucks. On my wife's jeep it went bad but here front suspension is like a the 2500 with solid axel up front. She had the dreaded death wobble come up and just about hit a car head on before she could get stopped. Once I replace it tho it went away. I put a heavy duty non adjustable SkyJacker on the jeep and it has proven its self. I would suggest putting a heavy duty on your truck if your going to replace it because it will take out most of the steering wobble on bumps and holes. If you doing it youself I can pull up the directions on how to do it from the program we have at work that way you have the official way to it. It should take you about a half hour or less on our truck. On the jeep it took me 10 minutes from start to finish.
Great info..very helpful. Thank you. I didn't realize there was only 1. I have 305/55/20 Cooper's on my Daytona so I think they'd qualify as oversized. I am currently purchasing new brake pads, rotors, and have Belstein HD shocks arriving today. I have a local brake shop that will do all of the work to install everything so this steering stabilizer is "in scope" to really finish off all of the this. I'd really appreciate the "how to" instructions if not for myself ....for the shop doing the removal. Would you suggest 2 given my tires? I'm curious to see or learn..once the stock one is removed how an aftermarket one would install? Like..does it install in the same place? Total "newbie" on something like this but I want the truck to have as much as improvement as possible with braking power and ride comfort.
Now is def the time to do all of it with once big install. Thanks again.

Dave
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM

These were the only ones where I saw the 1500 model as an option. The others I looked at only had 2500's and 3500's listed for fits.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A2660A0A0.aspx
Old 03-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

REMOVAL

1. Remove the steering damper mounting nuts and bolts.
  2. Slide the damper from the isolation bushing.
  3. Remove the damper.
INSTALLATION

1. Install the steering damper on the axle and isolation bushing. Tighten nut to 95 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) .
  2. Install the steering damper on the tie rod. Tighten nut to 81 Nm (60 ft. lbs.) .

that's from the program called ALLDATA PRO at the shop. It wont let me copy and paste up the pictures that it has up on there so when I get a chance I will get up under my truck and point out what needs to be take loose and removed then put back in place that way you all have a visual.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM

Hmm..maybe this is overkill on my 1500 then ? I guess my question is can the current Steering Damper on our 1500's go bad? Not even sure what the thing looks like.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

it can but it very rare. I run 305/55/20 km2 mud terrains on my Daytona. I don't have a single problem with wobble or anything like that. Its pretty much a shock absorber on the steering components. It looks like your rear shocks but smaller. Some rams have covers on them and some don't. I haven't had a chance to look under my truck yet because Im working full time and going to night classes 5 nights a week so I stay pretty busy. Unless you are having a wobble or shimmy that's pretty noticeable I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

KID.......i believe all you did on your wifes jeep was cover up an impending problem and the dw will return. first thing i would do is check every front end component and check bolts for out of round. plenty of info on this on jeep forums.