DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing and mpg questions

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Dragonmaster13 
#1 ·
I have read through a lot of the threads here and it seems these questions appear together but I still would like some additional feedback.

I have an '09 1500 SLT 4X4 Crew, Hemi/5 sp auto, tow pkge, 20" chrome clads and 3.55 gears. I have a 6000 lb. dry weight bumper tow camper and I have never gotten the total weight on a trip but I usually tow with supplies and w/o water and waste.

My questions are:

A) is it normal to only get 7 or 8 mpg when towing in what I would consider mild foothills of SC, GA and NC? I tow about 55 to 60 mph even on interstates.

B) I found a used '12 3500 2 dr dually with the 6.7L turbo diesel and 6 sp auto., 17" wheels, limited slip and I don't know the gearing. Although this is most likely overkill for our camper, I was wondering if the mpg would be better with this combo vs. my '09 Hemi?

Normally I wouldn't look past a 2500 if I wanted to upgrade but a local dealer got this in on trade and it appears to be real nice. Plus, I don't know if we would ever upgrade to a larger, heavier camper.

I know my Hemi and 1500 can tow this current trailer OK, just curious about the fuel mileage on this 3500.

Any help and/or suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
My Hemi gets about 9MPG with my 26' enclosed that weighs about 4000lbs. A diesel would get better mileage towing, especially in the hills, plus you will have a lot more torque. My dad gets about 15MPG with the same enclosed under the same conditions with his duramax.

#4 ·
The Cummins will definitely get better mileage than your Hemi. If deleted it will probably twice as good. And it will pull your trailer like it's not even there. But it is definitely overkill for that size of trailer, especially a dually. The torque of a Cummins is amazing for pulling though. You definitely wouldn't be disappointed in that. So it's really up to you if you want to spend the money to get a nice upgrade but it definitely isn't necessary.

#8 ·
Your stated mileage with the gasser sounds pretty typical for that trailer. You should be able to get considerably better with the CTD, I'd guess 15mpg or better.

If you're serious about it, convince the dealer to let you take it for a test drive weekend, hook it up to the camper and go 60 miles down the highway and back. Then do the same trip without the trailer and see if you can live with the ride of the 3500 unloaded.

#9 ·
If you're serious about it, convince the dealer to let you take it for a test drive weekend, hook it up to the camper and go 60 miles down the highway and back. Then do the same trip without the trailer and see if you can live with the ride of the 3500 unloaded.
A 3500 doesn't actually ride too bad unloaded. Not near as bad as you would think. I was very surprised when I took mine for a test drive before I bought it. The front end is family comparable to the 1500 IMO (I like the front end a little more stiff) but you do notice it on the back end a bit. But like I said, it's not bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.