DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Thinking of buying an SRT-10, any opinions?

28K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  06srt10 
G
#1 ·
I have a couple of dodge trucks now that I like, but I want more HP and smiles to the miles. I was thinking of buying a SRT-10. What problems have you had? Is it worth the extra money? What issues should I look for when buying one?

I have a 2005 SB 5.7 with all the 6.1 goodies(cam, springs, push rods), headers, converter and tune. I am at the limit with this truck without dropping $7000 into a supercharger and I figure it is a good time to upgrade to a SRT-10.

Thanks !

#3 ·
I say go for it! I watched one dyno a couple of weekends ago...huge HP and Torque numbers with minimal mods on the truck. I was impressed.

I talked with the owner at length and he indicated he's had no major issues and only a few small, niggling issues that the dealer has fixed.

#4 ·
You have to remember that the Truck is still a Dodge Ram. Just with better suspension, brakes, Tranny, and of course VIPER POWERED :smileup:! The 6spd trucks are a little hard to get used to as far as launching at the track. I have been to a couple of the SRT Nationals and have drove and rode in a couple. Also got a chance to ride in a Competetion Coupe Viper :SHOCKED:...... AWESOME!!!! The SRT10 is a low 13 second truck if you can get it to launch. Now the Quad Cab did have the option of a tow package and an automatic tranny. Basically what you will save by just putting a blower on the HEMI will pay for itself more over against the initial cost of the SRT10. Hell, just get the ground effects, wheels, hood, brakes, and look the part. I think that the HEMI sounds better anyway :smileup:

#6 · (Edited)
Enjoy mine.........tires are around $300 per burn a rear set off.......oil is mobil1 0/40w @ $7.00 per qt. at wally world doing it yourself 7qts. dealer will be $100+. If your not good with manual 3rd gear tricky. Basically its a viper on a 1500 frame. Actual wt of truck is around 5100 lbs. reg. is around 6500. Ins. depending company/driving record amount you may pay.....full cover was $575 4 me. With out extended warranty very expensive. These are only some things to considered. The only reason i traded mine in was needed a 4x4 to tow my 272 Baja. Good luck an if ya can find out who own an call them an ask question b4 buying. Heres mine.

#7 ·
the dealership I bought my truck at got one in the other day, granted it was a quad cab and automatic. I am good friends with the owner of the dealership and begged him to let me take it out for a little bit, so I got to play around in it.
Wasnt really that impressed, ya it looks great but not great enough to justify the price IMO.
I like my daytona better :smileup:

G
#8 ·
I had lots of good times in mine but it wasn't practical at all...

Got rid of it at 27,000 miles... Had to replace brake pads 2 times, rotors once, leaky rear main seal, clutch replacement at 17,000 miles... and mods are EXPENSIVE!!!
It also averaged about 11MPG

I did tow with mine on many occasions and never a problem, in fact it towed quite well.

I'm now in a HEMI and enjoying it... Go figure. :)

G
#12 · (Edited)
They are great trucks. Drive/handle awesome (for a truck) and of course the V10 has HUGE potential. My buddy owns/runs a performance shop. He has already built a turbo SRT10 Ram that is putting out over 1,000hp and has another one he is working on now with a supercharger + nitrous that should be well over 1,000hp as well. Their potential is only limited by the amount of money you have in your wallet. He owns one as well and he drives the living pi$$ out of that thing. Not to mention tows with it (he has a regular cab version). The only problems he has had with his are normal wear and tear which he has brought on himself due to how hard he drives it.

Here are a few pics of the truck he built with the turbo along with dyno sheets.

Pump gas dyno

Race gas dyno

G
#14 ·
bought one with a blown engine for 6500

got mine with a blown motor for 6500,we got a hemi 5.7 on it,i just need a rear bumper now to get it finished and i am having a hell of a hard time getting one used,any ideas?

#15 ·
#17 ·
there are pics of his truck posted above. you do know that he is now back halfing that truck. a little more extream that what im planning but simmilar. unfortunatly i will not have the power he does, nor to i have the bank roll to put that sort of cash in a truck. its all good though. i cant wait to see it when its done.

BTW fred :wavey:

#18 ·
People buy the fastest production truck in the world, drive the hell out of them then complain about the upkeep. Remember you will be buying a USED truck so check it out as you would a used muscle car. An extended warranty will help with any expense you may have because of the previous owner. The RC & the QC have the same motor, so what you can do with one you can do with the other. Mine is a DD and doesn't use any more gas than my brothers F-250 and mine is more fun. I have the HEMI in my Jeep GC and I really like it, but I love the SRT-10. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.