DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What to upgrade while rebuilding my V10

32K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Dieselgod20 
#1 ·
I developed a bad knock in my V10, so I have the motor pulled and I am currently having it rebuilt. It was 100% stock before but now that I have it out I am looking for advice on what would be some good modifications that would still keep the motor reliable. It is a dedicated tow rig, so I am looking for modifications to help it tow better.

I am thinking about headers and a cam. What are your thoughts? Recommendations?

#2 ·
I would recommend headers without a doubt, I would go for large tube headers and get full length to increase the HP a smidgin. As for a cam, well I could recommend comp cams but even they have very few options for the V10 MAGNUM. Not many companies bothered making performance parts for the V10, the V10 Is kindof a lost cause there aren't many and I just don't understand why there aren't many parts for the V10. Guess it just didn't get the popularity.

#3 ·
If you're looking to tow then a cam and headers would help. I'd suggest smaller primary tube headers, not large primary tube headers as smaller tubes will promote better torque at lower rpms. You could do some headwork as well, probably wouldn't go larger on the valves as you might lose some low rpm torque, but some minor porting/polishing will give more torque at all rpms.

#4 ·
I must of missed the fact he is using this for towing, had a rough day today.

Well yes then I too agree, smaller tube headers would be good idea but I think by small would be no smaller than 1-5/8". But even so, the collector is truely what will determine where the torque is being placed but again not as direct and simple. I can say I did design a 318 that pushes about 468 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM and 360HP at I think it was 5000 RPM, but that same motor with a different intake manifold pushes 414 HP at 6000 RPM and 430 ft-lbs at 4500 RPM. so the intake is equally as important. But yes I agree with you smaller headers, thanks for catching me on that. Wouldn't want someone to buy the wrong thing.

Personally I think the V10 puts out decent torque, especially for it's age etc... It could certainly put out alot more torque but I wouldn't even know where to start mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the full blown specs, like if the V10 is much like the V8's then the quench is horrible and we would know well I would know the V10 probably detonates like crazy under high load but that's just an assumption.

#5 ·
I once put headers on my V10. They even had a 1" flange bolted to the block. They still warped and I always had leaks. Until I bolted the factory ones back on. In my opinion they work the best. Something I was thinking of doing to my V10 is putting in Total Ring Seals. Gap-less piston rings. And like ramvan2500 said "Not many companies bothered making performance parts for the V10" so upgraded parts might be really hard to find. Good luck.

#6 ·
I once put headers on my V10. They even had a 1" flange bolted to the block. They still warped and I always had leaks. Until I bolted the factory ones back on. In my opinion they work the best. Something I was thinking of doing to my V10 is putting in Total Ring Seals. Gap-less piston rings. And like ramvan2500 said "Not many companies bothered making performanceparts for the V10" so upgraded parts might be really hard to find. Good luck.
WOW at this comment...

#7 ·
Intake and exhaust systems are very restrictive on the magnum V10.
IMO, get a decent filter and tube, do some porting in the intake, 1.7 rockers (be aware of stud sizes here as there was changes during production), headers, high flow cats, good exhaust. Hemi fever tune and. 4:10 gears(if you don't have).

I would stay away from head porting except to remove casting flash and stress risers, UNLESS you can afford to:
1) have it professionally done
2) can sonic check areas where your porting
3) can afford to wreck a head or 2

The heads are notoriously thin and porous, that's why I urge caution.

I would resort to cam and porting only if the others are not enough

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I found a set of JBA headers, and those are going on. I also had a little proting and polishing on the heads done professionally, so hopefully there will be no problems there.

I wanted to do a cam, but my budget started getting tight once I found out I had cracked the block so I had to find a new one.

Also decided to redo the exhaust since I have the headers, I am going with all stainless, with an x-pipe and dual stainless magnaflow mufflers.

I am also thinking of going with a K&N FIPK to help get more air in the motor since I have helped get air out of it.

I am hoping after this rebuild I will have a dependable tow rig for many years to come.

#10 ·
Where was the crack? And do you want the old block? Also as far as a cam, even comp has a limited selection in cams for the V10 magnum. Personally the V8 5.2L magnum can make about 505 naturally aspirated horse power in addition to 478 ft-lbs of torque. So if more companies invested in performance parts for the V10 magnum, imagine what kind of torque you could expect.

#13 ·
The motor is not back in yet. Still waiting on the right springs and a few bolts, but hopefully those will be delivered today and so the motor can be finished up. Hoping to have the truck on the road next week.

#14 ·
#17 ·
Don't be discouraged,

There are a lot more options than u know about with that v10. I built mine as a pulling truck motor, I was able to bore it .060, pistons from Ross racing pistons, H beam rods from lunati, a custom ground cam from crower, a viper forged steal crank, ARP head studs, all new felpro gaskets, ported the head and shaved it .050 for a 12.0:1 compression, and it is now a 519ci 675hp monster, don't be doubtful, just do the reseArch

#18 ·
There are a lot more options than u know about with that v10. I built mine as a pulling truck motor, I was able to bore it .060, pistons from Ross racing pistons, H beam rods from lunati, a custom ground cam from crower, a viper forged steal crank, ARP head studs, all new felpro gaskets, ported the head and shaved it .050 for a 12.0:1 compression, and it is now a 519ci 675hp monster, don't be doubtful, just do the reseArch
I did the research, but in comparison to the 360/318 Chry, or 350 Chev... No comparison at all, more bolt on parts available to those then just about anything else. I'm surprised you were able to run a 12:1 compression on cast iron heads, but then again what was the IVC on the cam? DCR vs SCR...

#20 ·
Yes but valve clearance also depends on valve even times. If you do a little trigonometry you can figure out exactly your valve clearances at different degrees of crank angle. I was just thinking what your IVC time must be, for 12:1 SCR (assuming SCR) then you must be something close to 70 degrees ABDC... that or you are running higher octane fuel and a cool thermostat

#22 ·
new member here. I have my old 95 dodge i drove as a company truck for the place i worked for, one day i got a call to come pick " Grandpa" up. Never got the story on the reason why its called that but i stuck with it. haha.
So i am fed up with the 47rh, my truck has a spicer 70 one legger (wtf).
So my plans are to rebuild the magnum v10. Coupled to a nv4500 5 speed. my gear ratio is a 3.50 so i have been able to get 18mpg going from Boise,id to Gooding, Idaho.
My plans are for a bottom end redo to get rid of the 8:5:1 cr and bump it to 11:1. from what i have heard, the cam profile stock is one of the worst configurations. i bought a first generation viper intake since the torque is the same on the viper v10 and the truck v10, so i figured it couldnt hurt. ive been wondering how to port the monstrosity of an intake on the truck. any tips would be good. going with a set of ross or kb pistons, porting heads. and new cam. headers are going on it as well. not sure what i will do as far as rockers and such. but the auto has to go. went to jalopy jungle to pull the clutch assembly out of a truck ( 25 bucks ) so i got all that. need to find a 5 speed for the old guy now. 24 year old and this is my 6th dodge truck, the others had easily modifiable 318s and one dog of a 360.

#24 ·
I ran VP C12 race fuel and a 180 deg. Thermostat. And sled puller. You can use the crankshaft out of a 3rd gen viper due to journal widths are the same but the journal diameter is bigger, a good machine shop can bore the main journals to fit it, but some machining may have to be done to the block for the crank weighs, you can also use their connecting rods which are longer but you have to make sure your deck clearances will be ok

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.