DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Roll Pan or Bumper

Roll pan or bumper?

17K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  John1961 
#1 ·
When I bought my 1998 Ram SS/T new, it had a roll pan on it. I thought the truck looked kinda goofy with the roll pan and 4x4 stance. On went the bumper. Since I've lowered it, I am thinking about putting the roll pan back on. The bumper offers way more protection than the roll pan. Being rear-ended scares me. The bumper has saved my tailgate and/or bed twice. I backed into a light pole at a restaurant and backed into my work truck while backing a trailer (don't ask).

Here is my truck with the bumper:

Here is one with a roll pan I found on another forum:

See less See more
#2 ·
:smileup:No question...............I love a nice smooth Butt..........Roll pan all the way:smileup:

#3 ·
tough call. I like the looks of the pan, but I also am a practical person and the bumper can save a lot $$ in minor scrapes/bumps.

#7 ·
I'm with RootBeer, I like it both ways, but same as he said, the practicality of the bumper wins it for me.

- Cajun

#15 ·
I like the smooth rounded backside so I go with the pan. I plan on doing it to my truck eventually.

#16 ·
If you use your truck, bumper.

But, seeing as you use it only occasionally, and don't tow with it anymore, I'd go with the roll pan. I think they look a ton better (the bumpers stick out too far IMO), and, it really makes them sleek. And, if you continue the stripes all the way down, they look really good. Also, I think its cool that these trucks came with them stock...so, its another one of those special things that separate it from the normal Dodge Rams.

Also, I drive my truck everyday, and its never posed a problem. And, if I got rearended, I'd be in prison for the rest of my life for killing the person that did it, anyway, so...it wouldn't matter if there was a bumper there, or a roll pan...lol

Here's a pic of mine for some inspiration (don't mind the left exhaust tip being lower...my rear sway bar bent it :/ )

#18 ·
When that picture was taken, I had a pair of Belltech 2" lowering coils that only lowered the truck 1.5" in the front. I now have Belltech 3" lowering coils and they only lowered my truck 2" up front. I'm not totally happy with the way it looks. I wish it were 3" lower in front. I also have Belltech 4" lowering leafs in the rear and they lowered my truck 5". I love the way the truck looks in the rear.

I took this picture today.

#19 ·
Roll pan all the way!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.