DODGE RAM FORUM banner

help installing Magnaflow catalytic converter

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  cledry 
#1 ·
I just received a Magnaflow cat but have a question. It comes in two pieces, the main piece bolts on at the passenger side manifold and then there is a pipe that bolts to the driver's side and looks like it slip fits into the cat. However I cannot get it to slide in. I know it needs to be tight and I made sure both pieces are round and free of burrs. I suppose I could heat the one side up to expand it a bit. Anyway I called Magnaflow and they claim both pipes are the same diameter and need to be butt welded, but they are definitely not the same diameter. :4-dontknow:

#3 ·
Yeah, the guy at Magnaflow is wrong. I took my angle grinder and chamfered the down pipe and it slid in the cat part, very tight but that is good. I will likely get it all bolted together and run it down to my friend's shop and let him weld it up. Pretty poor tech support. I'm also going to let my buddy do a better job on the heat shield welds which aren't that good.

I'm going to put a Flowmaster 40 series 3" in dual 2.5" out that I have laying around and probably dump it out the side with dual pipes ahead of the rear wheel to save a bit of cash for now.

#5 ·
Mine fit together pretty good. Just make sure when you cut your factory cat off, leave enough pipe. Cut it off directly behind the cat. Even doing that, I barely had enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.